RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-06, 08:13 PM   #1
Mentor
a.k.a prozak

Text Record: 6-11
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
is rap just a fad thats fading away??

IP: 8E7F 1337

when rap was alive back in the day do u think we truly understood rap and lost the meaning of it or do u think it was just a fad thats starting ta where out just like disco?? in my opinion i think its kinda both some of us understand the true meaning but the rest of us are listening to rap cuz its the new fad and the people that had a true understang of rap is either dead or sold out and lost that understanding and those people that are looking at rap as a fad is taking over the rap industry and killing it and the A&Rs dont even care cuz people will keep buying the shit if they dont have a true understanding on rap what do ya'll think it is that is killing rap??
Send a message via AIM to Mentor Send a message via MSN to Mentor   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 08:23 PM   #2
Daubs
NO SURRENDER

IP: AC2A 692A

No.

Closed.
Old 03-11-06, 08:52 PM   #3
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Audio Record: 8-2
IP: FC30 7384

nothing is killing rap. rap is just as commercial now as it ever was, just that you hear more of the commercial stuff on the radios (since that's all most of the people you know EVER hear of rap) so that's what you see that the climate is.

A/R's always have and always will only care about the money - that's all they get paid to do is make you a hit. They even pick songs for you.

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 09:06 PM   #4
Enygma
O.wning Y.ou D.aily

IP: B8A5 A8A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexx
nothing is killing rap. rap is just as commercial now as it ever was, just that you hear more of the commercial stuff on the radios (since that's all most of the people you know EVER hear of rap) so that's what you see that the climate is.

A/R's always have and always will only care about the money - that's all they get paid to do is make you a hit. They even pick songs for you.

That's probably the most accurate answer. Rap is alive and well....not going anywhere for a while. Hip Hop has a meaning behind it while disco was just music.....just something to make you dance.
Old 03-11-06, 09:23 PM   #5
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygma
That's probably the most accurate answer. Rap is alive and well....not going anywhere for a while. Hip Hop has a meaning behind it while disco was just music.....just something to make you dance.

^^word.

I think the thread originator may be mistaking "rap" for "hip-hop" to which rap is its own (commercialized) branch of, just like B-boying, freestyling, turntablism, etc.

Example: 50¢ makes rap. Mos Def makes hip-hop. Jay-Z makes rap. Immortal Technique makes hip-hop. Eminem makes rap. Aesop Rock makes hip hop. and so on and so fourth.

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 09:37 PM   #6
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: 586B 2294

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozak
when rap was alive back in the day do u think we truly understood rap and lost the meaning of it or do u think it was just a fad thats starting ta where out just like disco?? in my opinion i think its kinda both some of us understand the true meaning but the rest of us are listening to rap cuz its the new fad and the people that had a true understang of rap is either dead or sold out and lost that understanding and those people that are looking at rap as a fad is taking over the rap industry and killing it and the A&Rs dont even care cuz people will keep buying the shit if they dont have a true understanding on rap what do ya'll think it is that is killing rap??

LMFAO........ A fad? A 30 years and still running strong fad?

Are you kidding me? Nothings dying..
You sound like your caught up in your own little world and not looking at the bigger picture......
Old 03-11-06, 09:52 PM   #7
Dirty Nigga
E-Style, Bitch.

Text Record: 33-18
IP: C428 A07A

rap game is stronger now than it ever was.

People Hate What They Can't Conquer
Send a message via MSN to Dirty Nigga   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 09:56 PM   #8
Tha Q.
OYD

IP: 64CA 6C26

I guess some people don't know the definition of the word "fad". Fads don't last for nearly 3 decades. If rap were a fad, it would have died out in the early 80s.

Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 11:04 PM   #9
Mentor
a.k.a prozak

whatever its obvious that no one takes rap seriosly...i dont give a fuck what the A&R's care about i care what the people care about if we truly care bout hip hop no one would sign a deal where they cant make their own music..rap is filled with a bunch of bitches that dont know what real rap is..just because everybody is pretty much listening to rap these days doesnt mean its alive cuz people will listen to anythang thats rap or involved with rap...disco lasted for 10-20 years but now where is it and why is it gone??? disco was all over the place at one time too wasnt it?? and true disco had no meaning but now rap is starting ta lose its meaning all we're rapping about now is how much our watch costs, ya'll complain bout how rap is dead yet when i say it ya'll quick ta switch minds and defend rap saying its alive and that i dont know what im talkin bout...ur just trying ta use any "reasonable" doubt ta try and prove me wrong everytime

Last edited by prozak : 03-11-06 at 11:15 PM.
Send a message via AIM to Mentor Send a message via MSN to Mentor   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 11:11 PM   #10
Mentor
a.k.a prozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo
rap game is stronger now than it ever was.

prove to me how MAINSTREAM rap is stronger today than ever i wanna hear why u think that
Old 03-12-06, 12:11 AM   #11
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozak
whatever its obvious that no one takes rap seriosly...i dont give a fuck what the A&R's care about i care what the people care about if we truly care bout hip hop no one would sign a deal where they cant make their own music..rap is filled with a bunch of bitches that dont know what real rap is

Why are you so upset holmes? You gotta understand the nature of the business. Joe Schmoe rapper just got signed and his A/R tells him he can sell way more records if he changes his sound to hit markets hedidn't before. Joe Schmoe believes it, partly because it's right, and joe schmoe, in an effort to make himself more heard and to make more money after he recoups his labels expenses. Before you know it, you're singin on hooks.

Which is why the biggest rapper in the underground is refusing to sign with a major.

Quote:
..just because everybody is pretty much listening to rap these days doesnt mean its alive cuz people will listen to anythang thats rap or involved with rap...disco lasted for 10-20 years but now where is it and why is it gone??? disco was all over the place at one time too wasnt it?? and true disco had no meaning but now rap is starting ta lose its meaning all we're rapping about now is how much our watch costs, ya'll complain bout how rap is dead yet when i say it ya'll quick ta switch minds and defend rap saying its alive and that i dont know what im talkin bout...ur just trying ta use any "reasonable" doubt ta try and prove me wrong everytime

Did you know hip-hop has been around long before disco?

BTW, by definition, "mainstream" and "commercial" are the defining elements in "rap", so the more commercial naturally the bigger/stronger "rap" gets. I still get the feeling you're mistaking "rap" for "hip-hop". The more commercial, the more its likely to sell - and of course, the more sales, the more money. And of course..that's the only reason your favorite record label is in business.

Nature of the beast.

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.

Old 03-12-06, 01:03 AM   #12
Ysdat
Whys That?

Text Record: 11-0
Audio Record: 2-0
IP: 5285 DC82

let the masses do what they want with rap, if it dies in there heart it will stay alive in mine, so im cool .
Old 03-12-06, 01:14 AM   #13
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: 586B 2294

If hip hop died in popularity...

I'd prolly move to rock music and just make free hip hop mixtapes for fun......
Old 03-12-06, 02:09 AM   #14
Shear Kaughn
Broke as hell

Text Record: 0-0
IP: BF52 4920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexx
^^word.

I think the thread originator may be mistaking "rap" for "hip-hop" to which rap is its own (commercialized) branch of, just like B-boying, freestyling, turntablism, etc.

Example: 50¢ makes rap. Mos Def makes hip-hop. Jay-Z makes rap. Immortal Technique makes hip-hop. Eminem makes rap. Aesop Rock makes hip hop. and so on and so fourth.

i'm going to have to disagree with you on the second part...

50 cent is just as rap/hiphop as Aesop Rock

they may rap abot different things....but they are both still rap at the end of the day..
Old 03-12-06, 04:06 AM   #15
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shere Kahn!
i'm going to have to disagree with you on the second part...

50 cent is just as rap/hiphop as Aesop Rock

they may rap abot different things....but they are both still rap at the end of the day..

They "rap" as in "speak in rhyme over a beat" but to call Aesop Rock a "rapper" is borderline insultive to one that knows the difference.

Don't let TV's profitable definition of "hip-hop" fool you. 50¢ is not a "hip-hop artist" and by saying that, they add culture to garbage. Aesop rock is not a "rapper". Just ask the man who created the term "Hip-hop" that we'v all adopted in the first place. Bonus points if anyone knows who this is. Especially anyone talking about they know hip hop, but the younger generation doesnt. This is no time to point fingers, we're all different degrees of "in the dark". We can either work together or simply crumble under the weight of our own ignorance. There is no middle ground.

BTW, the reason you may not know this is the same reason you may not know what the first "battle" in history is. If you knew what it came from, there's no way you'd appreciate or respect what it is now - and that means less money for somebody! As a matter of fact, a whole multi-billion dollar industry full of "sombodies".

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.