RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-03, 12:03 AM   #1
.:LadySage:.
Flyweight

Question Real rap?

IP: B5F0 9199

WHAT MAKES A REAL RAP SONG?
WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER RAP?

i'm curious b/c theres alot of types of rap out there, and topics and styles differ from artist to artist
i think rap is lifestyles, experiences....w/e you feel, want to feel,or thoughts put to a beat and made to rhyme(in some parts)
I'm tired of the typical"ice, gats, and bitches" but i understand that in some cases thats what people can relate with and experience first hand
but....i dont know, what do you think
{--Filed (\_/~\_/) Domain 9--}
{-Thrust (\_/~\_/) Know1 (\_/~\_/) Emotion-}
{ --Rule (\_/~\_/) Mental God--}
Poetry
Don't Look Into My Eyes Forgotten
Understanding
Once Again
"It requires wisdom to understand wisdom:
the music is nothing if the audience is deaf."
Send a message via AIM to .:LadySage:.   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-03, 01:03 AM   #2
C-Section

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 872B E5DF

raps real as long as its honest.

when i rap, ill rap about the streets cause that’s what i know, but i dont rap about me killing people, and selling drugs, disrespecting females, going to jail, gangs and all that other shit cause it wouldn’t be real cause none of its true about me.
but i wont hesitate to rap about the streets and the shit i have been threw its like saying yea i been threw that but look at me now i got past that now im trying to do better things, and im giving a message to other people that they need to leave that shit alone too.

if i ever get big and have alot of money i would take care of my family and give back to my people, i wouldnt be buying $100 bottled water while people struggle to pay their water bills, thats just ignorant to me.

but alot of rappers are fake because they have presure to be the way that fans expect them to be thats why guys like 50 rap about killing everyone, and P.diddy raps about money. what else could they rap about? is P.diddy goign to rap about the streets?

bling bling will die soon just like hardcore gangster rap did

but your fitting a rap steriotype to, look at your avatar, it says bad ass bitch with a girl dressed like a slut bending over, why does every girl in hip hop have to be a bitch? your doing the same shit you acuse people in hip hop of doing

Last edited by C-section : 11-02-03 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-02-03, 01:05 AM   #3
wogzta

IP: 5C4B 9DFC

^ i really, really hope so - but i thought bling bling (shooting people, money, bitches) and gangsta rap was the same thing? whats the difference?
Old 11-02-03, 02:55 AM   #4
Akwan

IP: 021C 53E0

A real rapper needs to have advanced metaphors, wordplay, flow & delivery, vocabulary, rhyme structure, raw emotion and always needs to have complex lyrics, it's important to use words in the dictionary noone ever heard before in my opinion, that will label you as an intelligent rapper.
You also need to be capable of many things, all that commercial bullshit you see on MTV with the BLING BLING and such is fake, you need to be able to rap about all different subjects and topics.
I can't stress how imporatnt the complexity in your lyrics is, that's what seperates you from the commercial bullshit you get on MTV.

Here are some people that define what I just said:

Cage, Copywrite, Mr. Lif, Murs, Common, Camu Tao, Aesop Rock, Spice 1, Brotha Lynch Hung, C-Bo, Tech N9ne, Motion Man, Planet Asia, Despot, Prime, Alaska, Doujah Raze, Slum Village etc.

If you don't know these people, research them.

Useful Links:

www.ecrecs.com, www.definitivejux.net, www.trilogyrecords.com, www.threshrecs.com, www.undergroundhiphop.com...

That is real rap, that's all you need to know.
Old 11-02-03, 04:23 AM   #5
wogzta

copywrite & aesop rock is the shit....
Old 11-02-03, 07:24 AM   #6
Otherwordz
Banned: Compromised Account

IP: 399E F0FD

I'm a real rapper...would you like to be my groupie??????
Send a message via AIM to Otherwordz Send a message via Yahoo to Otherwordz   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-03, 07:50 AM   #7
Touch My Buffdoo

IP: 4577 CD9A

yea ^
Old 11-02-03, 09:21 AM   #8
Accelerate
Straight Savage.

IP: 8BEC CACE

Rap is Real if you make it.
If you don't make it, it's fake because it doesn't exist.

So if you think about it, this statement goes back to what C-Section said
Old 11-02-03, 09:40 PM   #9
Flyweight

IP: 4B00 562C

Quote:
but your fitting a rap steriotype to, look at your avatar, it says bad ass bitch with a girl dressed like a slut bending over, why does every girl in hip hop have to be a bitch? your doing the same shit you acuse people in hip hop of doing

^STR8 FROM C-SECTION

it seems like your accusing me of being a hypocrite, thats not the case and never will be... my avatar, is just that, an avatar, a little picture, theres not much of them to pick from either
and who said i was trying to portray hip hop from it, no one, so your point about every girl in hip hop being a bitch is invalid
AND
i dont recall me saying anything about people making sterotypes of any sort, i asked a simple question, whats real rap to you
dont try and make assumptions based on little to no evidence at all, about any person
facts first is all im sayin
Poetry
Understanding
Once Again
Old 11-02-03, 10:48 PM   #10
Akira Son Bio

IP: E080 68AF

I'm sick and tired of people talking about how important it is to have complex lyrics. You are not a nice emcee because of how many metaphors you can spit or how complex your vocabulary is. It is a nice feature, but that's about it. All that doesn't mean shit if you don't have exposure or if people can't relate, it just means you can write.

As for your question, to me there is no such thing as a "Real" rap song because everyone has different views and experience's with reality. What one might thing is real, another might think is total bullshit, and vice versa.
Old 11-03-03, 03:56 AM   #11
wogzta

^ i agree - complex lyrics are important, but meaning and flow are much more important.... without them you're nothing... adding complex lyrics just enhances that

and many rappers seem to think that having 100 bitches 253263634636 pounds of weed and 35 benz' that you sell on the black market after your morning crap means your real... in fact thats the fakest of anything fake in hip hop... no one can smoke that much :P

to me, realness simply means speaking the truth... if i rap about how i found a nickel in the gutter at 3.46pm and i really did it, then im real... if i live in a mansion with a trust fund of 6 billion dollars and rap about how i have a broken home then im fake
Old 11-03-03, 04:24 PM   #12
G. Buttersworth
Yeah Keep Biting.

IP: 3287 68FE

Quote:
Originally posted by C-section

if i ever get big and have alot of money i would take care of my family and give back to my people, i wouldnt be buying $100 bottled water while people struggle to pay their water bills, thats just ignorant to me.

bling bling will die soon just like hardcore gangster rap did

damn thats true..who buys $100 bottled water..fukin idiots.

gangster rap hasn't died..look at 50 cent.

bling bling is a branch of gansterism.

most street kids get treated like they're shit.. mostly because they're poor and not a celeb. so the bling is like a success status icon. "look bitches... i got a million dollars on my neck, $150,000 on my pinky...$500,000 on my rist.. im successful, not that piece of shit, project kid you stepped on couple of years back.now go get me my water bitch."

and we all know money makes the world go round. so when you grow up all your life not having it.. when you actually do get it.. of course you're going to talk about it constantly.thats why i can relate.. plus theres diffrent tracks for diffrent moods. stop listening to the radio.. and explore. hip hop isn't limited to the videos you see.

fuckin essay.. and whats this doing in RR.

<center>G. Buttersworth™</center>

G.I. JOE
Send a message via AIM to G. Buttersworth Send a message via Yahoo to G. Buttersworth   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-03, 04:29 PM   #13
Flyweight

IP: 7C01 6E77

^ thats true, i agree

i didnt know ya'll had other places for discussion..i really didnt look, and in the begining it didnt look like alot of people were going to reply, but w/e I can't move it
Poetry
Understanding
Once Again
Old 11-03-03, 09:47 PM   #14
2hOt4tV

IP: 6141 A614

a Rap is Real, when everything u say its true, and u dont talk about rims and shit, thats real rap EX: DMX
Old 11-04-03, 12:03 AM   #15
SZHliM

IP: 4E33 4CE4

The Definition of Real Hip Hop - Anything that is believed deep within the heart of the emcee that is put into a rhyme scheme over an instrumental of some sort. In some cases there don't even have to be an instrumental/beat/etc... Often emcees go acapella which is an extent on there style an how they do things. Alot of emcees are different and portray things differently. I personally can spit about anything, but it's how I perceive what I'm spitting about that makes me different. Everyone has different life styles and was raised differently. Everyone has a different personality and will see things differently. For example say that you are given the topic of "Never Giving Up." For me, I would probably spit something about never giving up hope, hope as in, the hope I have that Jesus will return, the hope I have in my faith, etc... The extent from there would be based on my beliefs and life experiences. Where as someone else might come in and rap about never giving up money, there pride, there respect, etc... Simply depending on how they perceive the topic. LoL. Does this seem right? Yes? No? Maybe So?