RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > The Cerebral Approach
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-05, 11:07 AM   #1
Ill-Grammatix
Back In Business

Street Smarts -vs- Ghetto Mentality

IP: EF25 E8E6

What's your view of the two? same thing? two different entities? wus da difference if there is one... i already got a point of view on this ...i just wanna see what you guys think before i edit with my personal thoughts on it

holla..

FREE YA MINDS!!!
Send a message via AIM to Ill-Grammatix Send a message via Yahoo to Ill-Grammatix   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 12:20 PM   #2
Viva
Cuz I'm Old Skool Baby

Text Record: 5-1
IP: 042E 9E4C

I got street smarts but I definitely dont have the ghetto mentality. Street smarts is basically common sense in certain situations that say somebody living in the suburbs or the countryside wouldnt have to worry about, ghetto mentality is all that 'let's get guns and kill before we get killed' bullshit!

I'm white so u KNOW i can't rap =)

I will definitely RTF if u leave a link, thanks!
Old 06-15-05, 12:21 PM   #3
Sean Gunner
GG Haterz

IP: 2B25 2063

Street smarts can be obtained through dealing on the streets, but it also depends on where you are from. Cuz street smarts can change depending on where you are. What works in Louisiana may not work in Detroit.

Ghetto mentality is the idea that life is unfair, and that you can only count on yourself. It can apply everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Visions
50 nickle=less than 50 cent, go back to school you idiot
Seangunner@gmail.com
For Anyone Who Wants to Talk to Me

^^I think this explains my view on gangster rap perfectly.
Old 06-15-05, 12:23 PM   #4
Sixth Sense
Banned: For Being So Fly.....lol....my new account is Triple Sixes....

IP: 473F 6D42

lol at the ghetto mentality yea just basicly killing and the streets smarts is how sumone has they smarts on the streets hhmmmmmmm....... kind of hard this is a good topic man but kinda hard to decide though

STARTING 2MORROW I WILL BE TRIPLE SIXES THATS GON BE MY NEW ACCOUNT SO THATS ME AIGHT CUZ IM SO FLY......LOL
Send a message via MSN to Sixth Sense   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 12:26 PM   #5
Gremlin
New to RV

IP: 508E 2DA7

I'll edit this later...
Old 06-15-05, 12:30 PM   #6
Castro...
QU3 M! D3$T!NO 3$ M! UN!CO 3N3M!GO

Text Record: 13-4
Audio Record: 2-2
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 00A2 4ED0

Ghetto mentality: is not being good enuff, life aint easy, strugglin etc.

Street smarts: is when you know wat happens in the street, you know wat should and should not do, hustling, etc
Old 06-15-05, 02:59 PM   #7
Ill-Grammatix
Back In Business

lots of good points... i got a lot to say about this topic but i'll wait for a few more responses before i write my essay...lol
Send a message via AIM to Ill-Grammatix Send a message via Yahoo to Ill-Grammatix   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 02:35 AM   #8
tim dim
Middle Weight

Text Record: 4-5
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: DEEC 8168

Street smarts are like skills that you pick up from selling drugs and participating in illicit activities and ghetto mantality is an aditude that you get from living in slums, so it's hard to compare them.
IMO
Old 07-09-05, 09:19 PM   #9
ILL GEE
ILL GRAMMATIX... any other questions?

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 1-1

it's a lot deeper than that... you can have street smarts and never sold drugs in ya life... i'll edit later...don't really feel like typing a book right now

CLICK DA SIGGY

"real recognize real but still others remain jaded
believing bullshit accounts of how "so-and-so" made it
there's a formula for gimmick emcees that are over-rated:
wackness created... payola paid it... and radio overplayed it"
Send a message via AIM to ILL GEE Send a message via Yahoo to ILL GEE   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 05:55 PM   #10
Accelerate
Straight Savage.

IP: 9A88 D688

Street Smarts is shit that you know when you are in the streets. You know where and when to not act up and shit. You know why things happen, You know how to deal with certain situations.

Ghetto Mentality on the other hand, is being basically in the ghetto state of mind. You'd have to live in the situation, and its become so much part of your life that its the way you deal with any situation. Dudes with ghetto mentality dont necessarily need to have street smarts and vice versa. Ghetto Mentality is basically, the way you'd handle things through a ghetto state of mind, basically, "We Cant Win, so why bother?"
Old 07-11-05, 06:37 PM   #11
WhoAmI
WhoAreYou?

IP: A181 D033

Street smarts is when you are able to go about whatever business you need to go about on the streets, but playin it clever so you dont end up in a situation to get yourself in trouble.
For example, if, say 5-0 are on your case or somethin, and you're able to keep one step ahead of them with a smart game plan, that could be considered to be possessin street smarts.
Ghetto mentality is when you're in a state of mind as if to say, "fuck it, i gotta get by, by any means possible, and no one ain't gonna get in my way..."
So that means that if you gotta kill, sell hard drugs, jack people etc. in order to get on with your life, you won't think twice about doin it cos in your opinion it needs to be done, whereas someone with street smarts will find an alternative method of dealing with things.
Old 07-11-05, 06:52 PM   #12
DON
Middle Weight

Text Record: 27-11
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: 1999 62FA

i think ghetto mentality is a lot different than street smarts. i think the first different is anybody can get a street smart education if u hang around the right ppl. but not everyone can get a ghetto mentality because u have to live that type of life to have it. for example, jus say a kid has a uncle in organized crime, he can learn street smarts from him, but he wont have a ghetto mentality because he wouldnt be able to live his life if he did. with a ghetto mentality if somebody disrespects u, usually u have to hit them back anyway possible by any means but the kid who leanred street smarts cant because of the type of life he has. of he hit somebody for disrespecting him everytime they did, hed be in jail within a few short months. the second difference is street smarts is more of how to go about things while ghetto mentality is a way of life, a code of rules and a specific way of thinking. i dont think u can mix a ghetto mentality with a civilized society driven life, but u can mix street smarts with a life in society.

jus my thoughts pc
Old 07-19-05, 02:38 AM   #13
Denied Truth
Still Spectacular, Yes!

Text Record: 5-6
Audio Record: 0-2
IP: 8226 651E

This is great..ya'll are nice with the thoughts...
Well i'd have to say to some point they go hand n hand..because "ghetto mentality" or "hood head" [lol] could overlap Street Smarts or "Block Brain"...
In example- I used to sell weed because there was a shortage in money and lack in other ways to get it..i was young couldn't get a legit job, so that's what i did for a while..now! that is ghetto mentality.."no other way to achieve money, so do it quik/illegal...but street smarts also sez.."hey, you need to help da famz...and ya kno where da law lies...get in where you can fit in..get ya hustle on" nahmean?
They are also different...
Street Smarts is saying..Yo I see Da Lawz Comin, Ima Run...Its more Hood Sense ya Kno..Knowing What Do To While You On Da STreets and Translating it to Normal Eryday Life Nahmean?
Ghetto Mentality is like man yo ima pack glock becuz i kno niggas wish to hurt me...and Also that, If Its Bad, It Prally Gwan Happen To Me, And Ima Be Prepared ,By Any means Necessary..Nahmean?...Ghetto Is Street with that Much More intensity Nahmean?

Stay Up Ya'll
Chuuch
Defyned

Jus Incredible Lyrics

-What God Has For Me..Is Meant For Me.

II COR. 12:9
And He Said To Me, "My Grace Is Sufficient For You, For My Strength Is Made Perfect In Weakness." Therefore, I Will Rather Most Gladly Boast In My Infirmities, So That The Power Of God May Rest Upon Me.
Send a message via AIM to Denied Truth Send a message via MSN to Denied Truth Send a message via Yahoo to Denied Truth   Reply With Quote