RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-05, 04:08 PM   #1
leady
Addicted

Text Record: 1-1
Audio Record: 2-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Jay-Z signs Lady Soverign

IP: 1A67 A371

New sounds associated with the so called “Carter Administration” range from the hard core rants of Roc La Familia’s Tru Life, to the introspective, underground vibe of Mike Shinoda’s Fort Minor collective. It seems Jay-Z is not only trying to revitalize New York hip hop, but step outside the norms of our culture and bring along unique acts as well.

Enter nineteen year old London emcee Lady Sovereign. The five foot Caucasian girl was called to Def Jam offices to meet Jay after a recent New York show, and was subsequently signed. “We spoke for a little bit, then he asked me to do some lyrics. I was like 'Aarrgh!' That just freaked me out, but it was cool”, she said in a recent interview. Louise Harmon aka Sov began writing rhymes after being kicked out of school at fifteen, and has been influenced by hip hop since a child. “'My mum always listened to hip-hop, so when I was a kid I always heard it, and I got into it myself. I listened to everyone but personally got into Cash Money, Three 6 Mafia, Cuban Link.”

A small buzz started when “Ch Ching” and “9 to 5” hit the internet a while back, and now her new EP, “Vertically Challenged”, is in U.S. stores. “The whole being small thing -- I love it,” says Sov. “It's a good look, d'ya know what I mean, because it's unexpected. People who watch my shows and don't know who I am are always surprised.” Though comparisons to other white rappers and cries of hip hop wannabe have been and will be thrown her way, Lady Sov remains confident in British hip hop’s chances in the U.S. “I think it's cool to hear what we've got to offer. It's very modern, and we're not trying to copy American hip-hop. I reckon, in the next year, we'll be dominating America. It needs to happen, really.” Lady Sovereign’s Def Jam debut is due out this Spring.
visit her site www.LadySovereign.com
www.nobodysmiling.com
Old 11-30-05, 04:09 PM   #2
13th.
©

Text Record: 14-4
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 2-0
IP: B21E C91D

REALLLLLLLLLLLLL old news dawg!!!!
Old 11-30-05, 04:37 PM   #4
Compose

IP: 8985 D522

^lmao, for real...no disrespect, but it just aint happenin.
I cant buy clothes when the manikins are watchin" -Canibus
Old 11-30-05, 04:39 PM   #5
leady
Addicted

i swear that old thread was only talking about jigga showing interest???? he has officially signed her now, but she is wack, there is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo many heads in the UK that are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than her..... and cu cullian, how u gonna say british rap aint doin shit, when irish rap isnt heard ANYWHERE except ireland???? atleast british rap is heard, in britain, US, canada, australia and all over europe
Old 11-30-05, 04:44 PM   #6
J.D
One Mic

Audio Record: 2-3
IP: BB77 E4BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leady
i swear that old thread was only talking about jigga showing interest???? he has officially signed her now, but she is wack, there is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo many heads in the UK that are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than her..... and cu cullian, how u gonna say british rap aint doin shit, when irish rap isnt heard ANYWHERE except ireland???? atleast british rap is heard, in britain, US, canada, australia and all over europe

theres irish rap???????????? lmfao!
Old 11-30-05, 04:44 PM   #7
J.D
One Mic

Audio Record: 2-3
IP: BB77 E4BA

werd, there are so many cats that are better than LS in the uk, its unbelieable
Old 11-30-05, 04:50 PM   #9
Viva
Cuz I'm Old Skool Baby

Text Record: 5-1
IP: 042E 9E4C

irish rappers dont claim to have 'irish rap' they just rap. atever way they feel like it. theres no certain style of how u should do it, and he jus sed he dont think uk rap will dominate us, neither do i and the majority of us rappers on this board will agree. theres no hate or nuthin its jus americans wont let it dominate IMO anyways

I'm white so u KNOW i can't rap =)

I will definitely RTF if u leave a link, thanks!
Old 11-30-05, 04:53 PM   #10
leady
Addicted

ive got to admit, when u have ppl like lethal b, lady sov e.t.c comin out and getting all the shine, its no wonder british rap wont dominate, cos nobody takes notice of the REAL talent, they just look for the wacker artists with the more mass appeal(aiming for more pop fans than anything else just to make sales)
Old 11-30-05, 04:56 PM   #11
DQ
Odi et Amo

IP: BE51 9836

Uhm

Yes she's wack...

I watched 9 to 5 video and it had TOO MUCH Eminem elements in the overall style...and she trying to look all tough and shit...bleh...

Authentik Intelligence

...The future is mine...

Send a message via AIM to DQ Send a message via MSN to DQ Send a message via Yahoo to DQ   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-05, 10:48 AM   #12
Oscar
New to RV

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: E6DA 2737

lmao. can't see her making anything of that deal.
Old 12-02-05, 11:05 AM   #13
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: F8A4 CCA1

Lol I had a little chuckle at that "uk taking over the states hip hop scene" comment.. How naieve...
Old 12-02-05, 01:11 PM   #14
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

IP: 14F6 545E

Quote:
Originally Posted by one mic
theres irish rap???????????? lmfao!

There's rap in pretty much every country that has a music scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
I watched 9 to 5 video and it had TOO MUCH Eminem elements in the overall style...and she trying to look all tough and shit...bleh...

I downloaded the song when I first heard about Jay-Z considering signing her. She had a line about posing for FHM, which I don't believe because I was unable to find the pictures. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus
Lol I had a little chuckle at that "uk taking over the states hip hop scene" comment.. How naieve...

Agreed.
ninth your a fucking idiot and im purposly spelling your name wrong...

PS, no Sony.
Old 12-05-05, 11:13 AM   #15
SlicKnife
Middle Weight

IP: E69D 2F06

Wow - had no idea about this....

Well she is doing good for herself you can't deny that, and I guess she is ok even though I do not really like any of her tracks...Leady, yes, there are many other U.K rappers that are WAY better than her but how many of them could sell in the mainstream?

Jay-Z only signed LS because he saw mainstream potential in her, simply because she is different, and is from the U.K so probabaly sounded something fresh to him...