RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-06, 09:19 AM   #1
Tha Q.
OYD

Proving the critics wrong

IP: 2B7A 2084

I'm a believer in Christ and the bible. Some people, erroneously, assumed that all I read or have read is the bible to form my views. This has never been true. But, I recently check out a book called "Myths of the Bible" to get another perspective on the stories in the bible. As tough as it was to read, the author basically portrayed the Old Testament as nothing more than fairy tales, myths, and "stolen" beliefs from other Mesopotamian and Babylonian religions. It simply offered another perspective. Some things he pointed out were misperceptions on our part because it's what we've been told. Other things were more elaborate in his claim that the old testament is full of myths. I believe what I believe. So, I don't hold everything he says as truth or not. It's something else to be debated and considered.

That's all.
Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 09:31 AM   #2
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: 9AA5 CE93

"Yeah I got this book on the bible that goes into how a lot of it is not as authentic as I previously thought it was. I guess I can see how I might of been kind of naieve at times when I argue about religion, but I dont have the balls to flat out admit I was wrong so I'll just make a complicated thread to mask the fact that my eyes have been opened a bit"

^^Translation.
Old 05-09-06, 09:37 AM   #3
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus
"Yeah I got this book on the bible that goes into how a lot of it is not as authentic as I previously thought it was. I guess I can see how I might of been kind of naieve at times when I argue about religion, but I dont have the balls to flat out admit I was wrong so I'll just make a complicated thread to mask the fact that my eyes have been opened a bit"

^^Translation.

Actually...I had already heard many of the claims he'd made in the book. I j ust disagree with most of them.

And, like I said, I can consider other perspectives and still hold my beliefs. I'm not afraid to research other points of view. I'm just out spoken about what I hold as true.

P.S. I'm not masking anything. If I wanted to "hide" something, I'd simply not make the thread.

Last edited by Tha Q. : 05-09-06 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 09:44 AM   #4
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Q.
Actually...I had already heard many of the claims he'd made in the book. I j ust disagree with most of them..

Prove it..

Tell us what one or two of the claims are and why you dissagree with them..

Just out of interests sake...
Old 05-09-06, 09:46 AM   #5
Mad Dog
...Belong...

Text Record: 57-16
Audio Record: 8-3
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 807B 45DA

i dunno bout you...

but i need a cigarette...fuckin tobacco in weed -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Dro
furthermore, june 3rd is the only good day to be born

^ Amen Brother ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆ P E X X
i'm still tryin to figure out how bein born in another country makes somebody fake.

R.I.P OMB

Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 09:51 AM   #6
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Prove it..

Tell us what one or two of the claims are and why you dissagree with them..

Just out of interests sake...

pssf...@ you assuming ulterior motives...

neway

There's a passage in Genesis where Cain talks with God after killing Abel. At that point, only 4 people supposedly existed on earth, Cain, Abel, Adam, and Eve. However, after Cain killed Abel, God banished him from the land to be a wanderer. God said, "I will put a mark on your head so that no one will kill you." HUH...If there were only 3 people on earth at that time, who are these other people God were referring to.

Well, this book claims that Adam and Eve weren't actual people, but a symbol taking from Egyptian mythology. They claim that god made "man and woman" on the 6th day, and that it wasn't actually Adam and Eve.

^^That's an example of something I'd already known before I read this book.

An example of something stated in the book I disagree with is this:

The bible says David killed Goliath. The book claims that David's body guard killed Goliath. The problem is, the bible says David was still a boy at the time. He wouldn't have had a body guard yet. So, to reconcile this, the book claims the editors of the bible confused or rearrange the order of the text to make it appear as though David killed Goliath.

^^Arguments like that are more speculative and he didn't offer sound evidence to support it, IMO.

Old 05-09-06, 10:10 AM   #7
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Q.
pssf...@ you assuming ulterior motives...

neway

There's a passage in Genesis where Cain talks with God after killing Abel. At that point, only 4 people supposedly existed on earth, Cain, Abel, Adam, and Eve. However, after Cain killed Abel, God banished him from the land to be a wanderer. God said, "I will put a mark on your head so that no one will kill you." HUH...If there were only 3 people on earth at that time, who are these other people God were referring to.

Well, this book claims that Adam and Eve weren't actual people, but a symbol taking from Egyptian mythology. They claim that god made "man and woman" on the 6th day, and that it wasn't actually Adam and Eve.

^^That's an example of something I'd already known before I read this book.

Its pretty obvious adam and eve are simply metaphoric references to early species of man seperating men from women. Most ancient cultures worshipped fertility therefore folklaws such as the book of genesis are just adaptations of older cultural fabels and creation philosophys.

Nothing to dissagree about here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Q
An example of something stated in the book I disagree with is this:

The bible says David killed Goliath. The book claims that David's body guard killed Goliath. The problem is, the bible says David was still a boy at the time. He wouldn't have had a body guard yet. So, to reconcile this, the book claims the editors of the bible confused or rearrange the order of the text to make it appear as though David killed Goliath.

^^Arguments like that are more speculative and he didn't offer sound evidence to support it, IMO.

This is if you actually percieve the david and golliath story to be a recollection of an actual historical event that took place. And its also a well known fact that the church frequently changed the bible to resolve dissagreements against their belief's. Its why cats got killed for translating it into english, because the church wanted direct control over everything the bible said and subsiquently lead the sheep to do whatever the church deemed appropriate..

You do realise a lot of aspects of your faith are a complete crock of shit dont you?

Like.. I know the actual backing message of christianity is a good life philosophy.. But when push comes to shove, its literally just a fabel that has been forced upon our cultures since the inquisition..

These sort of wide spread religions are a devil in disguise.. You have to learn to decypher whats feasable and whats a bullshit concoction of human agenda.
Old 05-09-06, 10:27 AM   #8
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Its pretty obvious adam and eve are simply metaphoric references to early species of man seperating men from women. Most ancient cultures worshipped fertility therefore folklaws such as the book of genesis are just adaptations of older cultural fabels and creation philosophys.

Nothing to dissagree about here...

This is if you actually percieve the david and golliath story to be a recollection of an actual historical event that took place. And its also a well known fact that the church frequently changed the bible to resolve dissagreements against their belief's. Its why cats got killed for translating it into english, because the church wanted direct control over everything the bible said and subsiquently lead the sheep to do whatever the church deemed appropriate..

You do realise a lot of aspects of your faith are a complete crock of shit dont you?

Like.. I know the actual backing message of christianity is a good life philosophy.. But when push comes to shove, its literally just a fabel that has been forced upon our cultures since the inquisition..

These sort of wide spread religions are a devil in disguise.. You have to learn to decypher whats feasable and whats a bullshit concoction of human agenda.

^^And you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Nuff Said.

Old 05-09-06, 12:01 PM   #9
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

IP: 14F6 545E

I was watching this episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit the other day. Pretty interesting stuff concerning the factual validity of The Bible.
Hooray for me providing you this link!

By the way, I could give a fuck how old this information is.
ninth your a fucking idiot and im purposly spelling your name wrong...

PS, no Sony.
Old 05-09-06, 12:25 PM   #10
M Eazy
Put Yo Money On Me

IP: E3CA 7CA2

This whole thread is a bunch of idiotic opinionated arguements. I know it's a free world with freedom of speech, but some assholes should just keep there beliefs to themselves. Like, Jehovas Witnesses..always tryna convert people to their religion. Just let people believe what they want and go on with your life.
Old 05-09-06, 12:34 PM   #11
WhoAmI
WhoAreYou?

IP: A181 D033

^^^i take it they knocked at your door today lol
Old 05-09-06, 01:17 PM   #12
Tha Q.
OYD

BTW, the author of that book RARELY gave counterpoints to his arguments.

Old 05-09-06, 02:16 PM   #13
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Audio Record: 8-2
IP: 2977 80E3

So Q are you saying you agree with the book, or disagree with the book, because you obviously see truths in it.

look, you're even trying to discredit the author. He's not required to make counter arguments - HE IS THE COUNTER ARGUMENT!!

it stil sounds liek at the end of the day you're saying, "I believe what I want to believe". Matter of fact, that's almost exactly what you said, word for word.

now don't go on the defensive, just state facts. don't get your emotions involved, be objective for the first time in your life.

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote