RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-06, 01:18 PM   #1
tornado220
Light Weight

Text Record: 0-2
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Katt Williams To Host New BET Hip-Hop Awards Show in Atlanta

IP: CF74 5D3A

Katt Williams To Host New BET Hip-Hop Awards Show in Atlanta

-

Thursday - July 13, 2006

Another awards show is on the horizon for BET, and by “another,” we mean an ADDITIONAL awards show. Yes, somewhere between the reality shows and the commercials, the network will squeeze out one more awards show this year. The black entertainment channel is launching its own hip-hop awards this fall, adding to its awards show roster of the BET Awards and the BET Comedy Awards.

To its credit, the network has recruited comedian Katt Williams to host the BET Hip Hop Awards Show, which is expected in November of this year. The funnyman/actor was asked if he felt any pressure. "I'm a great believer that enthusiasm is always the most important ingredient, so you wanna have somebody hosting a hip hop show that actually loves hip hop and has for as long as they remember, Williams responded. "So just in that aspect, it's not a lot of weight on my shoulders; it's really a joy, because I'm gonna be excited every second I'm on the stage."

The comedian, anticipating the inevitable question about security and potential beefs between rappers jumping off at a hip hop gathering, went on to describe how he'll handle the situation. "I promise it'll be fun. I'm gonna be working security myself; I'm gonna pat people down. I'm gonna have boxing gloves on in case anybody wants to get down old school or we can breakdance, but it's gonna be a fantastic time and it's gonna be what hip hop deserves to have as an award show."

The cable channel’s half-sister VH1 already has a related awards show called Hip Hop Honors, however the VH1 offering only focuses on classic rap artists. The BET version will take on a different twist. And seeing as how the Derty Derty is hip hop central these days, it's only fitting that the show will originate in Atlanta from the Fox theater. BET is also launching a handful of new programming premiering this fall along with the BET Hip Hop Awards Show. Three original programs debuting include “Next Level: Vince Young,” a six-part series chronicling former Texas quarterback Vince Young’s journey from college to the pros; “Beef: The Series,” exploring the captivating controversy and clashes of entertainment titans; and “American Gangster,” a six-part series about African-American mobsters and criminals. In addition, BET’s mature channel, BET J, is premiering a new reality show based on the life of NBA star Doug Christie and his wife Jackie entitled “Committed: The Christies.”