RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-05, 04:08 PM   #1
leady
Addicted

Jay-Z signs Lady Soverign

IP:

New sounds associated with the so called “Carter Administration” range from the hard core rants of Roc La Familia’s Tru Life, to the introspective, underground vibe of Mike Shinoda’s Fort Minor collective. It seems Jay-Z is not only trying to revitalize New York hip hop, but step outside the norms of our culture and bring along unique acts as well.

Enter nineteen year old London emcee Lady Sovereign. The five foot Caucasian girl was called to Def Jam offices to meet Jay after a recent New York show, and was subsequently signed. “We spoke for a little bit, then he asked me to do some lyrics. I was like 'Aarrgh!' That just freaked me out, but it was cool”, she said in a recent interview. Louise Harmon aka Sov began writing rhymes after being kicked out of school at fifteen, and has been influenced by hip hop since a child. “'My mum always listened to hip-hop, so when I was a kid I always heard it, and I got into it myself. I listened to everyone but personally got into Cash Money, Three 6 Mafia, Cuban Link.”

A small buzz started when “Ch Ching” and “9 to 5” hit the internet a while back, and now her new EP, “Vertically Challenged”, is in U.S. stores. “The whole being small thing -- I love it,” says Sov. “It's a good look, d'ya know what I mean, because it's unexpected. People who watch my shows and don't know who I am are always surprised.” Though comparisons to other white rappers and cries of hip hop wannabe have been and will be thrown her way, Lady Sov remains confident in British hip hop’s chances in the U.S. “I think it's cool to hear what we've got to offer. It's very modern, and we're not trying to copy American hip-hop. I reckon, in the next year, we'll be dominating America. It needs to happen, really.” Lady Sovereign’s Def Jam debut is due out this Spring.
visit her site www.LadySovereign.com
www.nobodysmiling.com