RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > The Cerebral Approach
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-06, 04:39 PM   #16
Shear Kaughn
Broke as hell

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: B8B4 D1AE

I'm not gonna lie...i used to listen to that Brain Music......but i came to get sick of it.....i come to figure out that mainstream cats are just as good as these underground mind fucking cats.....i used to be like....damn...Sage Francis is sooo dope....omg!!, but i can't get down to no Aesop Rock or Atmosphere or any of that other shit in teh club..or ride to it in the car.....

that mind music is good for only one thing.....and thats to listen to while you browsing the net or somehting.....try and give the DJ at your club some of this shit on a disc......yall would see the dance floor empty off.....

i hardly listen to that shit anymore.....because i figured out why these cats are put in the mainstream.........they actually are dope......

soo don't say people who are crunk and shit are wack becasue they in the mainstream and yall just can't stand it because they are hip hop too......i don't like 50 cent to very much....but i still respect what he doing and all....he making money doing soemthign that he loves......and i can respect that shit.....D4L, Franchize boyz......man..they just as hip hop as anyone else in teh game..even those sage francis emcees...just becuase they don't rap about math problems and the earth's axis and shit don't mean they ain't hip hop

Last edited by Shear Kaughn : 06-21-06 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 04:45 PM   #17
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Audio Record: 3-0
IP: 3240 794D

That's kind of disgusting how club music became a higher priority than expressive and thought provoking music. I agree, most of underground music is underground for a reason. They usually have issues with flow/beats/ability to connect. You gotta have a balance, which few rappers have because they're too busy labeling themselves other than striving to maintain variety and truly become a well rounded artist. I like some mainstream artists and hate some. I like some underground artists and hate some. It doesn't matter, if you appeal to labels and people is a matter of outcome. It's not concrete, sometimes labels are stupid and pass over the next jay-z or eminem. And sometimes they're stupid and pick up rappers who aren't going to get anywhere at all. We gotta take away this barrier on our music already, shit.
Old 06-21-06, 04:54 PM   #19
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Audio Record: 3-0
IP: 3240 794D

All music has a form of rhythem to it =/
Old 06-21-06, 04:55 PM   #20
Shear Kaughn
Broke as hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indeph
That's kind of disgusting how club music became a higher priority than expressive and thought provoking music. I agree, most of underground music is underground for a reason. They usually have issues with flow/beats/ability to connect. You gotta have a balance, which few rappers have because they're too busy labeling themselves other than striving to maintain variety and truly become a well rounded artist. I like some mainstream artists and hate some. I like some underground artists and hate some. It doesn't matter, if you appeal to labels and people is a matter of outcome. It's not concrete, sometimes labels are stupid and pass over the next jay-z or eminem. And sometimes they're stupid and pick up rappers who aren't going to get anywhere at all. We gotta take away this barrier on our music already, shit.

i couldn't agree with you more.....
Old 06-21-06, 10:07 PM   #21
atti?

IP: 7BE2 A0A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shear Kaughn
I'm not gonna lie...i used to listen to that Brain Music......but i came to get sick of it.....i come to figure out that mainstream cats are just as good as these underground mind fucking cats.....i used to be like....damn...Sage Francis is sooo dope....omg!!, but i can't get down to no Aesop Rock or Atmosphere or any of that other shit in teh club..or ride to it in the car.....

that mind music is good for only one thing.....and thats to listen to while you browsing the net or somehting.....try and give the DJ at your club some of this shit on a disc......yall would see the dance floor empty off.....

i hardly listen to that shit anymore.....because i figured out why these cats are put in the mainstream.........they actually are dope......

soo don't say people who are crunk and shit are wack becasue they in the mainstream and yall just can't stand it because they are hip hop too......i don't like 50 cent to very much....but i still respect what he doing and all....he making money doing soemthign that he loves......and i can respect that shit.....D4L, Franchize boyz......man..they just as hip hop as anyone else in teh game..even those sage francis emcees...just becuase they don't rap about math problems and the earth's axis and shit don't mean they ain't hip hop

I never questioned it's catagorization as Hip-Hop, I simply said it really has no place outside of the club. If you're chilling at your house, kind of bord, reach for a CD... Do you grab Nas - Illmatic or Lil John - King of Crunk? I mean really, if you're one of those people who listen to a steady stream of "Crunk" music and music that is concidered "club bangers" than you're missing out on the true essance of Hip-Hop entirely. Hip-Hop, and more specifically Rap or Lyracism derived from old Poetry, slave narritives, and blues music. None of those seeds included a platform for, "shake your ass to this." Those were forms of expression that were created to vent out issues with poor living and problems in general. Hip-Hop started and it had a true purity to it, with guys from N.W.A and Slick Rick formulating some of the first examples of storytelling and Snoop creating tracks about partying, but when you're the first to get on that thought than it's original.

The point of all this... The majority of mainstream artists are introduced into the industry for the fact that they are saying the things that have been said and the record companies know will sell. I mean really, how many mainstream artists can you list that you like for the content and quality of their music that were discovered within the last 15 to 20 years? I mean, you have you exceptions of course, but most of those great artists started out when everything was still fresh and the industry was based around finding talent. You want a club banger? Cool, thats fine, but give me the artist that can lay his emotions down on the table and write music from the soul... But can also have 1 or 2 tracks on the album that people can dance to you know?
Old 06-22-06, 01:22 AM   #22
Shear Kaughn
Broke as hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
I never questioned it's catagorization as Hip-Hop, I simply said it really has no place outside of the club. If you're chilling at your house, kind of bord, reach for a CD... Do you grab Nas - Illmatic or Lil John - King of Crunk? I mean really, if you're one of those people who listen to a steady stream of "Crunk" music and music that is concidered "club bangers" than you're missing out on the true essance of Hip-Hop entirely. Hip-Hop, and more specifically Rap or Lyracism derived from old Poetry, slave narritives, and blues music. None of those seeds included a platform for, "shake your ass to this." Those were forms of expression that were created to vent out issues with poor living and problems in general. Hip-Hop started and it had a true purity to it, with guys from N.W.A and Slick Rick formulating some of the first examples of storytelling and Snoop creating tracks about partying, but when you're the first to get on that thought than it's original.

The point of all this... The majority of mainstream artists are introduced into the industry for the fact that they are saying the things that have been said and the record companies know will sell. I mean really, how many mainstream artists can you list that you like for the content and quality of their music that were discovered within the last 15 to 20 years? I mean, you have you exceptions of course, but most of those great artists started out when everything was still fresh and the industry was based around finding talent. You want a club banger? Cool, thats fine, but give me the artist that can lay his emotions down on the table and write music from the soul... But can also have 1 or 2 tracks on the album that people can dance to you know?

ya know..i guess your right.......i mean.....i guess certain music has its time and place.....crunk shit in the club or jammin in the car..and brain music for when you just need to hear someone point of view on something.....
Old 06-22-06, 03:45 AM   #23
Magic5

IP: 6EB9 28C9

I think Atmosphere and Sage Francis are pretty dope. Eyedea is pretty legit too. I don't usually listen to their shit when I'm chilling with my friends or whatever, but there's a time and place for everything so I'm not going to just ignore them completely. It's whatever, though.
Old 06-22-06, 04:52 AM   #24
Past Tense
On The Air - COMIN JAN 07

IP: 7F38 328B

oh okay

so hip hop was all about being true and talkin about thoughts and how you feel when it started??Last Time I checked it was party emcees......thats what it was Entertainment.........yeah i'm not knocking either underground/mainstream.....all mainstream means is that there In whats cool....rap is a fad....i mean gangster music and party music was underground at a time...and you never heard about it..now look its huge! and same things happening with underground "lyrical" emcees..before i'd ask people if they knew who immortal technique were like a year or two ago..now everyone knows um..well not everyone but you get what i mean....see shits a fad.......its kinda like bell bottoms in the 70's whats in at one time is gay in the next generation........and my friend music is what you make it.....and if you support these emcees by going too there shoes buyin there "DOPE" shoes and clothing it keeps them in business........so basiclly people control the artist....in a sense....but oh well i say just be your self ....that is all you gotta do..if your feeling like a millino bucks and wanna talk about the club..shit talk about hte club..if your pissed at your women...write a song about that...if your mad at the world talk about hatin the world.....and thats simply how a good artist....is GOOD....variety and substance.....versatility...

and thats all i gotta say

ADD ME LETS MAKE SOMETHING
Old 06-22-06, 10:35 AM   #25
atti?

IP: 7BE2 A0A1

I'm not even going to read that entire paragraph your wrote because it started off with, "yeah i'm not knocking either underground/mainstream." This thread wasn't created for the sake of an argument between mainstream and underground. Mainstream has it's artists (I.E. Nas, Rakim, Eminem, ect.) who pack their albums full of creative and emotional tracks, I wasn't discounting mainstream in anysense. It was just coincidence that the artists I named happend to all be underground.
Old 06-22-06, 11:42 AM   #26
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

IP: 95AA 11A6

Most members here look at anything emo as "faggot music".

But Murs is ill.
ninth your a fucking idiot and im purposly spelling your name wrong...

PS, no Sony.
Old 06-22-06, 12:03 PM   #27
atti?

IP: 0825 899A

Ya, because most of the white kids from the burbs on here are all playing into the same ghetto allstar image... So they all just feed off eachother's moronic stereotypes. But yes, Murs is nice, you like Felt?
Old 06-22-06, 12:12 PM   #28
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

IP: 95AA 11A6

Felt 2 was one of the best albums of last year.

Best of '06 so far = Murray's Revenge, get that if you haven't already.
ninth your a fucking idiot and im purposly spelling your name wrong...

PS, no Sony.
Old 06-22-06, 12:28 PM   #29
J.D
One Mic

Audio Record: 2-3
IP: BB77 E4BA

im into mainly underground shit, Apathy's probs my fave mc, but there are soo many maad nice people in the underground these days like, Tonedeff, Esoteric, Hieroglyphics (& souls of mischief), dilated peoples, zion-i, jedi mind tricks, supernatural, gift of gab, who do have good flow, and you can vibe to them nd shit, but still show they're good lyricism capabilities.....
Old 06-22-06, 12:55 PM   #30
atti?

IP: 0825 899A

^Yup... Lightheaded, Aceyalone, Swollen Members, Abstract Rude, Busdriver. You could dance to alot of underground aswell as mainstream.

And ya that Murs album is nice, didn't quite make my list of best albums of all times though. I've got,

At the Drive-In: Relationship of Command
Alias: The Other Side of the Looking Glass
Deep Puddle Dynamics: Taste of Rain... Why Kneel?
The Mars Volta: Frances the Mute & De-Loussed in the Comatorium