RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-03, 08:45 AM   #16
KoNcEpT
Banned: Double Voting

Text Record: 10-1
Audio Record: 1-2
Graphics Record: 0-0
Re: Street Cred

IP: 1FD5 8078

Quote:
Originally posted by Xpress Lane
Rap's been described as the "Music of the streets", and most songs i've heard deal with violence, hustling, ect. Is it possible to suceed in rap, without having lived on the streets, shot a gun or sold prostitutes? Do you really need these things to qualify as an artist?

An Opinion Of An "Artist" Is In The
Eye Of The Beholder...
Send a message via AIM to KoNcEpT   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-03, 03:08 AM   #17
G. Buttersworth
Yeah Keep Biting.

IP: C045 034C

i think if you spitting that hot shit on wax...talking about you.. don't give a fuck... you ain't scared of shit.... kats in tha street are defintly going to test your gangsta...

and for some reason, ppl live and thrive to see that shit happen.

and from my evaluations...you going to need some type of gimmick, to be noticed..cause everybody thinks they can rhyme now.

most go for the killer/hustler edge for the relations values...plus the bad boy image. it sells like sex. you don't have to ... but if you wanna get notcied.. controversy is like the only way to go.

<center>G. Buttersworth™</center>

G.I. JOE
Send a message via AIM to G. Buttersworth Send a message via Yahoo to G. Buttersworth   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-03, 03:18 AM   #18
wogzta

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: 5C4B 9DFC

^ but see, you dont HAVE to be a thug to be a good rapper. Canibus has gone to college, never talks gangsta crap, is basically a net nerd and writes words most ppl need a science textbook to understand. Yet he is one of the greatest lyricists ever because of his complexity in rhymes, vocab and poetry... he also has a hot flow

But yeah, its obvious he doesnt have much street credit, since he doenst really make "street" rap. He makes intellectual rap.
Old 12-17-03, 03:22 AM   #19
G. Buttersworth
Yeah Keep Biting.

^ read my post again.

never said anything on being a good rapper.

my post was based on ... street cred.. and going for the top of the charts sales.

G.I. JOE
Send a message via AIM to G. Buttersworth Send a message via Yahoo to G. Buttersworth   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-03, 03:26 AM   #20
wogzta

But yeah, its obvious he doesnt have much street credit, since he doenst really make "street" rap. He makes intellectual rap.

I wasnt talking about street cred up until that point. I know what your getting at, i was just mentioning that canibus is a good rapper yet has little credibility because of his style.
Old 12-17-03, 06:19 AM   #21
wogzta

^ wow your first post was a freepost. we can expect great things from you, a great contribution to RB's growth.

And it is possible to succeed in rap without having shot people etc. Look at chingy, he just chucks a stupid catch phrase and flows over an irritating club beat and BAM! you got a platinum record
Old 12-17-03, 11:16 AM   #22
High-Ku

IP: EBC6 0BE2

How many niggaz who will actually kill still rhymin?
How many niggaz who are actually signed still killin? ..
.. and when it comes to killin a mic, they ain’t willin
And I’m supposed to be shook? that’s the shit that kills me

-Pharoahe Monch:Ghost Weed Interlude from De La Soul's Art Official Intelligence-

Truer words were never spoken.
Old 12-17-03, 12:21 PM   #23
alias
Light Weight

Text Record: 6-2
IP: F706 4B04

ll cool J was from the burbs apparently, but i dont know he got any street cred,

he might of had some when he battled alot???
Old 12-17-03, 03:17 PM   #24
G. Buttersworth
Yeah Keep Biting.

Quote:
Originally posted by wogzta

i was just mentioning that canibus is a good rapper yet has little credibility because of his style.

can has street cred.. because he's from it. he known to approach kats and battle them right there on a corner.

you don't need to be a criminal to have street cred. you just have to be in the streets.

G.I. JOE
Old 12-17-03, 04:04 PM   #25
ninemillimeter
Flyweight

Text Record: 0-0
IP: ADF4 702E

i'm from the suburbs... my life has totally sucked up to now partly from my longtime girlfriend dying, which made me not give a fuck in school, grades fell, "not givin a fuck" attitude towards everything ect... i've never lived the street life but I think people will listen to what I have to say and what i've been through... what's your thought's on that?
Old 12-17-03, 04:11 PM   #26
High-Ku

IP: EBC6 0BE2

I think if you rap about what you know, and it's sincere and heartfelt, cats will feel you. As long as you bring skill to the table also. I'm not clowning at all, but I think you might be a little suspect in the sincerity department considering you just said you're from the burbs, but your name is 9mm.
Old 12-17-03, 04:54 PM   #27
D-Dizzle
Ya Mama's Favorite

Text Record: 11-2
IP: A17F CCD3

It's alot of artist have made a conferable living not making 'street' records....

You got poeple who ain't from the streets and don't make street songs like the Atmopheres and the Def Jux people and all that...

You got the people that ARE from the streets but DON"T make street music, like the party/ladies shit like the Loons and Fabolous cats and the artisic shit like the Kwelis, Commons and Little Brothers....

To real keep it for real, alot of poeple from the street DON't WANT to talk about shoot, killin', and glorfiing shit and if they do the moral reasons/political awarness for them sayin that is always tooken out or edited out.....its those bitch ass A&R and record companies that make the rappers talk, say and act a certain way to sell. ANd most of the movers and shakers that tell the artist to 'act street' ain;t even from the streets at all...

Bang On The Table Productions
Old 12-17-03, 05:43 PM   #28
ninemillimeter
Flyweight

Text Record: 0-0
IP: ADF4 702E

High-Ku my name is "Nine Millimeter" cause I taken 2 Co2 powered guns into school one day... I was selling one and showing the other off cause it was really dope... anyways the teachers caught me and I was supended... so people started callin me "nine", one of the guns was a 9MM, then when I got into rapping I make it full to "Nine Millimeter"... I think thats a dope name for rap anyways... there that's that sorted!

also a lot of you have good points on this topic

Last edited by ninemillimeter : 12-17-03 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 11:50 PM   #29
wogzta

^ i like your avatar

anyway, if what you say is true, you could easily have credibility... as long as u had skills as well... it doesnt matter about who you are or what you've done.. it only matters if you bring truth and meaning with skills

If i heard a song about how someone found a 15c on the ground on their way home from the corner shop, and it was lyrically tight with a nice story... i'd listen to that anyday rather than hearing about how your gonna pop a cap in my ass and smoke weed
Old 12-19-03, 03:14 AM   #30
downsouthspec

IP: 6FB5 CB03

like everyone else has said, gangsta sells theres no doubt about it. Whether its true or not is another story. Id much rather hear a tight flow with a bad beat than a sorry flow on a played out (popular) beat. Least then i know the artist has skills just the production sucks. Ive lived all my life in a ok part of the city, we were just about middle class. But ive seen it all here too, and i know a few rappers that came up around here made their studio payments from hustlin, a lot of cats who dont get educations and dont know a trade other than hustlin and rappin make their money off sellin drugs cause its what they were brought up around, so all i have to say is that i can understand on the first album talkin about fights, drugs and the everyday hustle but once you make a million dollars, shut the fuck up about it cause when you move in to your million dollar house with 5 trucks on 24's you aint got no reason to rap about the shit you dont do no more cause its faded like most of the rappers end up being.