RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-07, 05:07 AM   #91
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

Text Record: 44-10
IP: 3223 240D

Are you blind and deaf?

If you want to turn this into a philosophical debate about the VALIDITY of the analysis of art, then say so... But denying its existence is just plain stupid. Why? Because you have absolutely no evidence whatsoever supporting what you're saying, and the world is full of evidence supporting what I am saying. For example...

If art is completely out of the scope of analysis, why do art critics exist? Why did I study art in school and learn what makes a piece good, and what mistakes make a piece bad?

Film making is an art. Why then, do basically all films get compared to a criteria and given a rating out of five? Are you nuts? Are you saying that every film is completely untouchable and that they are all of the same quality? Haven't you ever seen a film that was poorly and unskillfully produced? Haven't you ever seen a film that was skillfully produced?

Tell me, how can music be rated and reviewed if it's impossible to determine what makes good music and bad music? Why was I able to study music at university, if its so untouchable and analyzing it doesn't work? Why have countless people analyzed countless pieces of music and come up with countless conclusions as to what makes good music and what makes bad music?

If you're smart, I know what you'll say. Music is still based on opinions, those reviewing and criticizing it are just giving their opinion... But no, music IS intricate and complex like a science. Some people criticize by giving their opinion, which is valuable to other people. Other people study the composition and elements of the music and analyze how they work together, how well they work together, why they do or don't work together...

I'm not telling you my opinion. What part don't I get? I don't get the part where you close your eyes and refuse to learn something, and then keep pushing your own little narrow minded view, hiding away and blocking your ears, not listening to anything and still thinking you're right about something that is so obviously wrong.

Why do facts of the world change because some closed minded teenager doesn't want to stop sucking 50 cent's cock and jocking his shitty, sub par album? This conversation is finished. I'm not pushing my opinion, I'm pushing the facts trying to convince you to let go of your incorrect opinion and replace it with a correct one.

Here you go, this is the first two paragraphs of the Wikipedia article on Musicology.

Musicology (Greek: μουσικη = "music" and λογος = "word" or "reason") is the scholarly study of music. The word is used in narrow, broad and intermediate senses. In the narrow sense, musicology is confined to the music history of Western cultural elites. In the intermediate sense, it includes all relevant humanities and a range of musical forms, styles, genres and traditions. In the broad sense, it includes - at least potentially - all musically relevant disciplines and all manifestations of music in all cultures. The broad meaning corresponds most closely to the word's etymology, the entry on "musicology" in Grove's dictionary, the entry on "Musikwissenschaft" in Musik in Geschichte und Gegenwart, and the classic approach of Adler (1885).

In the broad definition, the parent disciplines of musicology include history; cultural studies and gender studies; philosophy, aesthetics and semiotics; ethnology and cultural anthropology; archeology and prehistory; psychology and sociology; biology, physiology and the neurosciences; acoustics and psychoacoustics; and computer/information sciences and mathematics. Musicology also has two central, practically oriented subdisciplines with no parent discipline: performance practice and research, and the theory, analysis and composition of music. The disciplinary neighbors of musicology address other forms of art, performance, ritual and communication, including the history and theory of the visual and plastic arts and of architecture; linguistics, literature and theater; religion and theology; and sport. Musical knowledge and know-how are applied in medicine, education and therapy, which may be regarded as the parent disciplines of Applied Musicology.

People study music. There are elements of composition that make good music good and bad music bad. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF PEOPLE THINK THE MUSIC IS GOOD AND LIKE IT OR THINK IT IS BAD AND DISLIKE IT. IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE COMPOSITION OF THE MUSIC, WHICH IS WHAT IS ANALYZED.

If you still want to peddle your blind opinion, go talk to the people who do what you are saying is impossible to do. Good luck trying to convince them that the thing they spend their working hours doing is unable to be done. Prepare to be laughed out of the building if you do try to do that lol.
Old 09-30-07, 06:56 PM   #92
SerB
....S.....

IP: BBD5 CAE5

buddy i dont give a fuck if someone is studying music. hahaha

they aint going to say the music I like is BAD.

its impossible to determine what really is GOOD and what really is BAD, everyone looks at it differnent, there isnt a rule that you have to follow. or boundries. so how would they study it and grade it?

the person grading it is just another dumb opinon.
Old 09-30-07, 09:18 PM   #93
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

Text Record: 44-10
IP: 3223 240D

Here, you made a mistake. You should have said:

"I don't know how to determine what really is GOOD and what really is BAD, therefore it must be impossible. so how would they study it and grade it?"

To answer your question... It depends on the music. If you really want to know, go study music.