RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > Album Reviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-06, 12:21 PM   #1
Euthanize.
Middle Weight

DJ Drama & Pharrell Presents - BBCICECREAM.com (mixtape)

IP: 5436 00A0

In my Mind Prequel.

1. The Prequel - Intro. Pharrell's talking about what inspired him.

2. When Skateboard Came - Dope track, chorus is hot. This track just shows P is more than just a singer/skatboarder. Dude can rap. 8/10

3. Music For The Gangsta's - Ehh track, it's ft Young Dro & T.I. Just let me note this. YOUNG DRO IS WHACK. T.I. came decent. But P could've left this track and ripped it with just him self. 5/10

4. Fortified - Freestyle. Dope track, it's only about 1:30 but Pharrell still rips shit. " We got sharp minds, like Porcupines" that's just a sample of P's ill wordplay. 8/10

5. This is The Life - This track if featuring Fam-Lay from P's StarTrak label. They used the YoungBloodz "Damn" beat. On some real shit tho Fam-lay's skill level is just about as high as Young Dro's. He's not all that, if anything dude is whack. P came nice tho. 6/10

6. Gangsta Grilz - They used the Nelly Grillz beat. As we all know Pharrell has one of the biggest chains ever. Sorta like Slick Ricks shit, so all through this song P is basically bragin' about his chain and the jewls niggas is rockin'. You know the same thing mostly every other rapper in the industry is rappin' about. That's not P's style tho, so I was suprised at this track. 6/10

7. It Was a Great Day - This track is dope. They used Ice Cube's "Today was a Good day" beat. Perfect track, the beat and P go together so well. 9/10

8. Models in the Hood - Skit. P is talking to a white model from the hood, I guess. This just shows how much of a beautiful mind P has, it's only a skit though, lol. 10/10

9. Liquid Swords - I hate the beat on this track, Pharrell comes cool. Didn't really listen all the way through. THE BEAT GETS ON MY FUCKING NERVES. 5/10

10. Sound Boy - The beat is something you'd hear from a Tony Hawk video game while you're creating your skater or something. Pharrell comes dope though. 7/10

11. Paid In Full - I know the beat, just can't put my finger on it at the moment. I think it's a Rakim beat, it's a track featuring Ab Liva who btw I have never heard of. It sounded like he MIGHT be dope, but ehh, not my style. My nigga P comes decent tho. 6/10

12. Come go With me - Another old skool Rakim type beat. Actually a pretty nice track, Pharrell is singing on the chorus though. It's featuring Clipse. Which btw in my opinion is the nicest artists besides P himself on StarTrak. Clipse actually come dope though. 9/10

13. StarTrak Movement - Skit. Talking about the artists he has on his Label. Clipse, Fam-Lay, Rosco, and P even has a female group. From what i've heard though Rosco is going through some issues at the moment.

14. Strung Out - I guess P feels the world hasn't heard enough of Fam-lay. So he went ahead and gave Fam the whole track on this one. I'm still not feelin' him. 2/10

15. Renagotiations - Skit. P had a deal with Louis Vutton? Well he does. And they Renagotiated his contract so he's talking about that. Joking around about them throwing him Louis Vutton partys with like Louis Vutton fur coats 'n shit. 8/10

16. The Message - A freestyle to the old skool "check yourself before you reck yourself" beat. Eh, decent. Nothing to really brag about over a freestyle. 6/10

17. High Rollers - P's talking about his childhood days. Skateboarding 'n shit. How he was a different type nigga in tha hood. How he kicked it with white dudes and all that other shit. "Fall back nigga, P brought computers to tha hood". 8/10

18. Word To the Motherland - Sounds like another old school beat, P monsters the track as he would say. 7/10

19. Prequel Outro - P talking about his album that dropped. In my Mind. Talking about how the album is, his style, what you can do with the album. P wants you to step on the first rung of the ladder so you can see where his movement is heading to. I'm glad to say i'm apart of that.

20. Reminisce - R.I.P Tookie track, P didn't know Tookie. This track to MC EIGHT's beat from the Meanace II Society sound track. A Freestyle type track, P's talking about Crips in the hood and shit. Then he starts rapping about his superstar skate team and the Captain T-K and how he got shot in LBC. Lost his mom, and is dad. T-K got shot in his jaw. Btw T-K is one of the best black skaters out right now. ICE CREAM SKATE TEAM NIGGA. dope track here only 2:30 seconds tho. 9/10

21. Lavish (bonus track) - This is from Twista's latest album, forgot the name. Decent track, wasn't needed for the mixtape though. I still love the chorus when P starts singing. Twista is alright, P comes dope though. 7/10

Basically, this mixtape has pre-in-my-mind good songs, and remixes of underrated songs which failed to go large in their day. Even as pre-release mixtapes go (like Dretox), this doesn't fully portray Pharrell's best work and therefore i suggest you wait for the album to release. Pharrell doesn't show much solo talent in these songs, as he has with the addictive "angel" and his well-sampled (yet mediocre) "Can I Have It Like That".

The best songs in this album are It Was A Great Day, Lavish, High Rollers. The rest are decent, but i feel the album's production does not flow well, and gets tiring after some point in most songs. Remember this is Skateboard P's first mixtape, and my first album review . And for someone's first Mixtape, P acted like he knew what he was doing throughout the whole thing. Overall a pretty cool mixtape too me. If anyone wants a copy of this get at me. I might do a review of P's In My Mind album, or Dj Drama and Lil Wayne Dedication 2. Holler

Last edited by Euthanize. : 08-08-06 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-08-06, 04:22 PM   #2
Ca'lam
The Light

Text Record: 1-1
Audio Record: 7-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: ACE6 26D7

ehhh.. p is aight. shit was aight. alot of those 8 and 9/10 arents really 8's and 9's in my opinion.

lavish was best song on mixtape in my opinion. shit was thorough. twista ripped that shit.

just not a p fan for real, i like his beats and all. just not a fan of his rap at all. specially lately

Proud OYD member again . <------- That is whassup
Old 08-10-06, 11:33 PM   #3
Euthanize.
Middle Weight

IP: 5436 00A0

I did maybe overrate some tracks.