RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > Album Reviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-08, 03:28 AM   #1
Ysdat
Whys That?

Text Record: 11-0
Audio Record: 2-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
AZ - Undeniable

IP: 2998 9024

While most genres of music hold their veteran performers as legends of the highest regards, hip-hop is notorious for doing the opposite. Inherently regarded as a young man’s game even more than its fellow musical types, rappers are constantly viewed with a “What have you done for me lately?” skepticism. Different emcees handle this in different ways: some of them break their backs keeping up with the trends and forget what made them so good in the first place, while others stick to their laurels so much that they fail to remain relevant. Still, others simply diminish in their skill level. Only a few rappers manage to maintain a balance between maintaining their consistent skill level and pairing it with current sensibilities—and even then, it often takes a while to iron the kinks out.
The opening track on AZ’s latest disc, Undeniable, shows that the lyrical tenacity behind classic songs like “Pieces of a Man” and Nas’ seminal “Life’s A Bitch” is still accessible to the Brooklyn emcee. Tracks that follow, such as “Superstar,” and “Life On The Line” do the same, as AZ spits more of the multi-syllabic, detailed narratives that have garnered him the legion of fans that have hailed him as the industry’s most underrated emcee for his entire career. The problem is that this is all territory that AZ has covered and retread. The production is B to C-list quality, and while AZ can still rap, he just doesn’t bring anything new to the table to keep listeners engaged: he doesn’t sound as hungry to get heard as he did on “Life’s A Bitch,” and he doesn’t sound as hungry to re-stake his claim as he did on 2005’s “The Come Up.” Undeniable finds AZ on cruise control—and while that’s still better than most of today’s current state of rap music, it’s not enough to make any noise. With the perfection of the album-concluding “The Hardest” featuring Styles P, this is especially disappointing.
When AZ tries to fit in with today’s crowd, the results are mediocre at best. The Ray J-featured “Go Getta” is an unbearable flossing anthem that sees Brandy’s brother singing both the hook and verses, and AZ catching his contagious wack virus by contributing trite bars of his own over a beat that’s as bland as unseasoned fries. “Dead End” features another unabashedly jiggy backdrop to shameful results. Tracks like “Parking Lot Pimpin” aren’t as bad, but they’re still worthy of a skip.
All in all, AZ’s Undeniable isn’t a horrible album. It won’t be the career blemish that was former partner-in-rhyme Nas’ Nastradamus, but it’s still one of the most average, forgettable collections of songs that he’s released in recent memory. And these days, especially for a vet like himself, indifference is much scarier than hate
Old 05-14-08, 04:52 AM   #2
Magic5

IP: EE16 FA13

AZ is a fucking champ. Dude's style is great. I've loved all of this dude's albums.
Old 07-03-08, 10:05 PM   #3
In-Vision
Out-Spoken

Text Record: 22-1
IP: A337 0CEF

this review was on point.

good shit soul.

"watch what you watchin...fox keeps feedin' us toxin's..stop sleepin' start thinkin outside of the box and unplug from the matrix doctrine....but watch what you say cause big brother is watchin" - nas - sly fox

The I.H.C.J.S.F.M.T.R.H.P.M.M.W.T.S.M.S.I.T.F.F.W.A.S. O Crew
Send a message via AIM to In-Vision Send a message via MSN to In-Vision Send a message via Yahoo to In-Vision   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 06:01 AM   #4
King Solo
Skadoosh!

IP: 2BA6 1F0F

solid review, and the album is raw as fuck.
Old 02-18-09, 05:55 AM   #5
lyricalflowz
New Jack

IP: 4BC9 508D

I love this album. I honestly think it was his best effort since Doe or Die.
Old 02-20-09, 01:58 PM   #6
SnoCap
Light Weight

Text Record: 2-3
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: 2210 2F31

I love AZ, and he probably is the most underrated rapper in the game, From doe or die, to AWOL to pieces of a black man, he straigh kills tracks, the smooth flow and the flossy wordplay is dope. I really hope this album doesnt disappoint. I plan on coppin this for Sure, AZ is one of my favorite MCs in the game

Also lookin foward to the Last Kiss album by jada, comin march 10, i hope thats off the wall as well.
Send a message via AIM to SnoCap   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 07:53 PM   #7
Da Problem Child
New Jack

Text Record: 9-8
IP: D64C 232F

i remember i used to listen to this cat when i was like 5, and never understood what he was talkin about but now i no this cats the truth
Old 03-12-09, 02:23 PM   #8
fuck yuu
iBully

IP: 80C1 51EA

Dude the firm is still one of the groups i listen to daily.

az and nas are fucking nasty

-
Think you can write?
5x PS HOF
2004 Poet of the year
3X writer of the month
Old 03-13-09, 11:09 PM   #9
SnoCap
Light Weight

Text Record: 2-3
IP: 2210 2F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuck Yuu
Dude the firm is still one of the groups i listen to daily.

az and nas are fucking nasty

too bad the kicked cormega out for nature. Cormega is way nicer than nature, Cormega woulda made that group blow up... Cormega is mad nice, i love mega.