RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-05, 07:03 PM   #1
Tha Q.
OYD

Ok...Audio heads...and fans alike...answer this

IP: 1ADC A69C

I've noticed a trend on this site and other rap sites I post my songs on. When I really love something, most of the feedback is "lackluster". I'm not saying I post strictly for good feed, but I'm just making an observation. However, when I post something I'm sketchy about, it get really "good" feed, meaning most people are feelin' the track. This lead me to believe my tastes are different than others, or that what I expect from myself is different from what others expect or like from me. So, I was wondering, how do you find a balance between making yourself happy and making your "fans" happy.

Oh...and for the smartasses who are gonna say "you don't have any fans", I'm speaking hypothetically here.

Holla

Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 07:06 PM   #2
Compose

IP: 4ADA E6DD

Make music you have fun doing, if they dont like it fuck em, theres always someone that will like it.
I cant buy clothes when the manikins are watchin" -Canibus
Old 10-02-05, 07:10 PM   #3
Adam

Text Record: 28-0
Audio Record: 1-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: F019 583F

^ Probably the best way to explain it. Don't try to please others, please yourself..
Old 10-02-05, 07:11 PM   #4
Adam

Text Record: 28-0
Audio Record: 1-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: F019 583F

"Enjoy yourself" - Rick James.
Old 10-02-05, 07:18 PM   #5
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Audio Record: 8-2
IP: E029 FF4E

I disagree with Soul Rebel's post AND Compose's post. If you're making music for your self, then don't bother rapping. If you look at it, you on;y speak for two reasons - to communicate, or to entertain. If you're not doing one or the other, then put the mic down cuz it's a rap.

Long story short, do what the fans like AND you like, instead of this idealistic view of what you like alone. It dosen't work. Go to the medium ground and both of you will be more happy, and you'll be more comfortable. And there's a huge difference between "I think I can do better than that" and "the fans loved it and didn't hear what I thought were shortcomings". Don't be perfect at a track that sucks. Be better-than-good-enough on a track that's amazing.

- Ape

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 07:48 PM   #6
Tha Q.
OYD

IP: 1ADC A69C

^^Good points...I hate when people say "FUCK EVERYBODY AND WHAT THEY THINK"...then they ask, "Can I get some feed"...WTF

I guess it is about finding a target fan base and sticking with it...that explains why an artists can sell 10000000000000 albums the first time, then only 100 on their sophomore attempt...Chances are, they changed the formula...

well...I guess a balance is the key...
Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 08:45 PM   #7
Ltizzle
Seattle Hat Wit A Lean

Graphics Record: 17-5
IP: BA87 A0AC

for me its just
ill post something im a lil sketchy about, and ill get good feed...
its never the opposite way around really
but i think the part of me being sketchy is because im not performing up to the standards that i know i COULD be performing at...
but the people listening dont see that.

but i do agree with dooms in a sense that if youre not rapping to please people, dont expect to get anywhere..

---------------------------
Lucky Boy Beats: Owner & Producer
http://www.myspace.com/luckyboybeats
----------------------------------------------
Gunn Play: Rv's Original Duo
Dash Canceling To A Computer Near You

MAS ON EM! 4 LIFE

Send a message via AIM to Ltizzle   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 10:19 PM   #8
.Ike.
Ike

Audio Record: 3-1
IP: 577C 1E7C

yea you gotta aim to please others if your making music.....
Send a message via AIM to .Ike.   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 12:42 AM   #9
Acuity
Rastafari Walk Tall

Audio Record: 15-9
IP: 60AB CA68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday
I disagree with Soul Rebel's post AND Compose's post. If you're making music for your self, then don't bother rapping. If you look at it, you on;y speak for two reasons - to communicate, or to entertain. If you're not doing one or the other, then put the mic down cuz it's a rap.

Long story short, do what the fans like AND you like, instead of this idealistic view of what you like alone. It dosen't work. Go to the medium ground and both of you will be more happy, and you'll be more comfortable. And there's a huge difference between "I think I can do better than that" and "the fans loved it and didn't hear what I thought were shortcomings". Don't be perfect at a track that sucks. Be better-than-good-enough on a track that's amazing.

- Ape

exactly...
i rarely quote 50 cent but:

"niggaz love saying they made shit for THEMSELf when their sales flop and ppl laugh at a nigga..if u made that shit for urself..keep it in ur home nigga...we aint tryina b hearin it"

"His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, King of Kings of Ethiopia and Elect of God"

Blog

Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Web Designer

Old 10-03-05, 12:48 AM   #10
Zone Out
Power Hungry

Audio Record: 5-1
IP: 35DA E712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compose
Make music you have fun doing, if they dont like it fuck em, theres always someone that will like it.

Word!!

but you dont even have any fans, so dont worry about it.

Rap Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe
If you do kegel excercises, you would be able to do something similar without having to hold your tip shut with your hand. After you've been doing them, hold off ejaculating as long as you can to really let the pressure build and then aim for your girlfriend's eye and let 'er rip.. You might get lucky and shoot her eye out. That's probably exaggerating it a bit, but it will still be hilarious
Send a message via AIM to Zone Out   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 12:50 AM   #11
Van Ished
Throwback Member

IP: 27EC 2E9D

I generally follow my feedback, if people say "you're doing too much of this" I ease up, cause ultimately, I am an entertainer, I can always make something I can jam on my own, but if the majority aint feeling it, then I won't push it.