RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > Album Reviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-04, 03:58 PM   #1
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

Talib Kweli - The Beautiful Struggle

IP: 39C2 8F9E

Yo, it's ya boy comin' with an exclusive review of the upcoming Talib Kweli album. I got a copy form a friend, and I got it a while ago so I'm not entirely sure this'll be the tracklist on the actual cd, but check it...

1. The Revolution - Talib speaks on some issues involving our country, i.e poverty and the war on terrorism. Not "The Proud", but good lyricism over an apropriate beat gets this album off to a good start...8/10

2. Back Up Off Me - Kweli rejoins forces with Hi-Tek, and the result is a smooth flowing track about how MC's need to be original. Good wordplay on this track as well..."When I do a show I love to catch the lady eye/ Dodge the paparazzi, I don't wanna see no Lady Di (die)/" End of song is good for a laugh too...9/10

3. From A Place feat. Killer Mike - Decent track about growing up. Midi Mafia provides Kweli and Mike with a bangin' beat, yet Mike, being a little more boisterous than usual, ends up bringing the song down. Kweli brings a good verse as usual, but I feel he could've done a lot more considering the premise of the song. 6.5/10

4. I Tried feat. Mary J. Blige - Kweli speaks on the struggle of the artist, especially the expectations of someone once they make it big, and how music is widely immitated in life nowadays, so music should be more real than what it is. Kanye provides a piano-laced beat that Kweli flows perfectly over, while Mary provides a strong chorus. 9/10

5. Kweli Got The Beat - For those of you wishing Talib would go back to his B-Boy roots, this is the track for you. A funky beat produced by Planet Rock allows Talib to throw in referrences to political issues, yet maintain the breakdance track of the year. Chrosu gets somewhat annoying after listening to it a few times, so that brings the track down a little bit, but no major harm done. 8.5/10

6. Around My Way - Incredible transition from the pulsating beat of the previous track to this - a smooth mellow track where Kweli's lyrics come out and speak to you, talking about religion and telling the youth to follow their dreams but keep it real. Chorus sampled from Sting only improves how deep this shit is if you just sit back and listen to it. Highlight line: "We're feelin' like we gotta sneak into Heaven/ When the reverend lookin' like the pimp and the pimp look like the rev-rand/". You may have heard him perform this one Chappelle's Show with John Legend on piano...9.5/10

7. What We Have Is Real - The track I fall asleep to. Gentle guitar beat is smooth, and what does Talib chose to rap about? Why, love of course. Such a relaxing song, lyrics flow well with the beat like always, plus good wordplay and overall delivery. You'll love it so much you might not even notice Talib biting off Fabolous' "We can cruise like Tom and Penelope" line. 9.5/10

8. Rock On And On - Kweli's rhyme style on this beat if fucking incredible. The beat is average, yet with no real bassline and it's just so obscure. But that doesn't stop Kweli from spitting punchline after punchline. Track mainly focuses on his wordplay. 9/10

9. You Don't Know Me - Decent beat, lyrics about the effect music has on people, including some good metaphors you gotta pay attention in order to catch. Only downside to this track is the voice that keeps going "ohhhh" at the end of about every 4 lines, yet isn't present in the chorus where it should be. 8.5/10

10. It's The Ghetto feat. Common - The BK-Chicago connection is back and they wanna tell you about life in the ghetto, and they do one hell of a job. Instrumental is average, but lyrics definately make up for it. Remember when Jay-Z said "If skills sold truth be told, I'd prob'ly be/ Lyric'ly Talib Kweli/ Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense/ I sold 5 mil, and I ain't even rappin' like Common Sense/"? Well keep that in mind for Kweli's first verse on the track. I won't spoil it for you...10/10

11. Hold Your Hands Up High feat. Jean Grae - Stellar instrumental on this track about life of young black girls, with a girl on the chorus who sounds about 10 or 11. Ma can sing though, then 2nd verse comes. Jean Grae comes out strong adding in referrences to her own youth and upbringing. Lyrical content is actually even matched on this track, so be on the lookout for Jean Grae's new album "This Week" coming Sept. 7th. Anyways, track is the shit, 'nuff said. 9.5/10 ('Cuz that lil' girl can get irritating after a while)

12. Lonely People - Best song on the cd. Kweli raps about the darker side of society, flowing perfectly over one of the greatest Kanye West beats I've ever heard (sampled from The Beatles' "All The Lonely People"). Can't review much, you just gotta hear it to believe it...10/10

13. We Pullin' Out Tonite - Beat is reminiscent of Cam'ron's "Welcome to N.Y.C", but a lot more powerful. Kweli rips the shit out of the new generation of herb rappers in the game, no direct disses though, just in general. I've never heard this man snap so hard!! "These ni99az screamin' how they takin' life for pure enjoyment/ Then leave the booth so they can keep they manicure appointment/". 10/10

14. Instrumental - I'm anticipating a track over this beat for the album, since i downloaded it before I got the album and it was titled "African Dream" from DJ J Armz "How To Be An MC" instrumental mixtape series. Nice flowing Kanye West beat with good voice samples in the background. ?/10 (won't rate due to incompletion of track)

15. Get 'Em High feat. Kanye West and Common - Yeah, this was on Kanye's cd, so that's why I'm not sure this is the real tracklist. Still it's a great track...8.5/10

16. Supreme feat. Mos Def - Blackstar is back, bitches! Kweli and Mos still have that amazing chemistry together, and stay consistently raw for the whole track, rhyming over one of the most uplifting beats I've ever heard. 10/10

Overall I give this album a 9/10. I'm really anxious to see what the final product will be like, guess I'll find out September 21st...
ninth your a fucking idiot and im purposly spelling your name wrong...

PS, no Sony.
Old 08-23-04, 07:46 PM   #2
3rd-Shift
I'm BAAAAAAAAKK

IP: 28AD 5545

nice review.....check out my yung buck review

IM PUSHIN AUDIO COCAINE
Send a message via AIM to 3rd-Shift   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 08:29 PM   #3
TURBAN
Banned: Cheating

Text Record: 6-9
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 95EB 880F

nice review how the hell do u get this stuff? good review depth on each of the tracks so i know whats commin up , o well i got my connections to peace out O YEA JOIN mr.funkypants haha
Old 08-23-04, 08:33 PM   #4
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

^Bro I've had this shit since May...

PS, no Sony.
Old 08-25-04, 02:07 PM   #5
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

Uppin' for feedback, opinions of the album, etc...

PS, no Sony.
Old 08-25-04, 02:16 PM   #6
Ms.Skillz4daze
Flyweight

Text Record: 2-0
Thumbs up Give thanks!

IP: 80E9 05F4

I LOVE Talib Kweli so much! I love Mos, too, but to be honest between the two of them, Talib has always done more to stimulate me lyrically (though they are both good). I think that he has not gotten as much attention as Mos Def because he is much more introverted(in personality/delivery), but I don't business, Talib is by far one of the hottttttest! Nufffff respek!
Old 08-26-04, 01:52 PM   #7
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

^Damn straight ma. Hopefully with this album he'll finally go gold...

PS, no Sony.
Old 08-26-04, 11:41 PM   #8
j_da_monsta
Flyweight

Text Record: 4-2
IP: 3240 794D

If it's got all them good tracks on it, imma have to cop that CD come Sept. 21,
** Goes and buys the BlackStar album and Talib Kwelli's Quality**
Old 08-27-04, 12:07 AM   #9
Wise Wun
Banned: Spamming

Text Record: 0-1
IP: 72A2 5563

I love tha Whole Rawkus fam ... too bad they bankrupt ... Talib is ill .. one of tha most intellectual dudes alive ... he is ill no doubt
Old 08-27-04, 12:23 PM   #10
Ms.Skillz4daze
Flyweight

Text Record: 2-0
IP: 80E9 05F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Wun
I love tha Whole Rawkus fam ...

I love the Rawkus fam too, Wise Wun. Rawkus just had straight niceness all up and down the boards! (Very, very rare label especially in this time of overcommercialization..)

Wutchew know about Che? *looking at your sig* Nah, what'chew know bout liberation?
Old 08-27-04, 12:33 PM   #11
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

^You seem to be very into the uderground hip hop, the quality music...What you know about Jea Grae ma?

PS, no Sony.
Old 08-27-04, 01:08 PM   #12
Soulless
Light Weight

Text Record: 13-2
IP: 3240 794D

...when does this actually come out...?

or is it out already.. if u guys already said it in this discussion im sorry i just want to skip to my point....

Overall Record: i've prolly already ripped you or someone just as wack.

Wins: No time for a eulogy
Just

>>Insert Your Name Here<<

TEST me.....you'll soon be ~Sonned~
Old 08-27-04, 01:16 PM   #13
!Mc Merc!
Light Weight

Text Record: 4-3
IP: FD9D 8A8F

its sad how they ill and nobody buys they're albums insted they buy, right thurr
Old 08-27-04, 01:56 PM   #14
Nynth Degree
In ya area.

Merc we finally agree on something lol...
Soulless - The album officially comes out September 21st...

PS, no Sony.
Old 08-28-04, 07:44 PM   #15
Turnheads
I'm High.

IP: 28AD 5545

hey man nice review i'm anxious for it to come out to.