RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-07, 03:41 PM   #1
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Audio Record: 3-0
Long post, don't click on it if you're not gonna read it

IP: 3240 794D

Click on it, faggot.

-----------------------------
Resistance: Fall of Microsoft

Let‘s be clear about what is really at stake in this “console war“ between Sony and Microsoft. People don‘t realize that they do not own their Xbox 360 any more than they own the set top box from their cable company. They rent it.

You have an internet connection on Microsoft‘s console, but the only place you can go is Xbox live. The hard drive installed in the Xbox 360 has a proprietary connection to the rest of the system, so it cannot be accessed without using computer code owned by Microsoft. Microsoft has total control over what you see and what you download, as well as what games you can purchase.

Microsoft released the first Xbox after the PS2, then rolled out the Xbox 360 before the Playstation 3. There are still high quality games being made for the PS2 like God of War II and Final Fantasy XII, while the Xbox is basically a dead system. Microsoft ripped off their own customers who bought their original console, then dissed Xbox 360 buyers by selling them a poorly designed system.

To make the Xbox 360 so powerful, Microsoft designed a triple core PowerPC chip and a massive graphics processor for their console. These chips require a lot of power and generate immense heat, so much heat that the Xbox 360 sounds like a hair dryer because of the fans inside the case. When the first Xbox 360s came out, many of them overheated and crashed.

There were reports of failure rates as high as 20% on the first consoles, although Microsoft insists the rate was no more than 5%. This despite the fact that a Google search containing the words “xbox red ring” reveals a cottage industry of websites catering to customers whose consoles have failed. One man in Chicago had the temerity to sue the Software Giant, that case was settled out of court, allegedly for an undisclosed sum…

All the photos of the Xbox 360 that you see in advertisements do not include the huge power brick that steps up voltage from a wall socket to the console. Of course, they could have avoided the problem of overheating and requiring an external power brick by simply making the case bigger. This would haves allowed for more air around the circuitry and provided room for an internal power supply.

Notice how the case of the Xbox 360 slopes inward allowing as little space as possible between the hardware and the case. This makes it nearly impossible to install a "mod chip" in the Xbox 360, but it also makes the console nearly impossible to cool properly. Again, people don't own their Xbox 360s, they rent them, and no modifications to the console will be tolerated.

On October 31st, 2006, Microsoft installed a "Fall Update" through Xbox Live that contained faulty code that disabled an unknown number of Xbox 360s. Thousands of consoles were “bricked“ by the Fall update, and internet rumor has it that this was a deliberate tactic to disable modified consoles. Microsoft is again being sued by an Xbox 360 owner whose machine was disabled, that case is still pending.

All the bad press about Sony's launch of the PS3 is nothing in comparison to Microsoft's sleazy tactics. Microsoft ripped off their own customers when the withdrew support for the original Xbox. Then they marketed and sold the over-powered, poorly ventilated Xbox 360 without proper testing, just to ensure that they got the drop on Sony.

Now contrast Microsoft‘s console launch with the debut of the Playstation 3. The biggest initial complaint against the PS3 was its unprecedented cost, $600 for the premium model. Of course press reports seldom mention that the console costs Sony over $800 to manufacture. That's because the CELL processor is expensive and the Blu-Ray disc drive is even more expensive.

There was an initial shortages of PS3s because the blue diode that powers the blue laser in the disc player is very sophisticated and hard to produce. Sony invested in more manufacturing capacity and airlifted PS3s to market in order to meet demand, and those shortages were soon overcome. Sony could do this because they actually make their own product.

Anyone who takes an unbiased look at the PS3 must admit that the console is an excellent machine. There were reports that Sony was using low quality components to reduce costs. But repeated analyses of disassembled PS3s have shown that the design and parts, including the Blu-Ray disc player, are of very high quality.

The Playstation 3 has more computing and graphics power than the Xbox 360, but customers who buy the PS3 are getting much more than a superior game console. A Wi-Fi internet connection is included on the deluxe version, and all models have a standard hard drive. This means that customers who buy a PS3 actually own their consoles.

In addition to accessing the internet and downloading files in any format, the PS3 even allows customers to choose their operating system. Linux is an open source OS with a growing fan base and increasing developer support. Several versions of Linux are now available on the PS3, some of which are free.

Sony is a world class electronics manufacturing company. They have given us the Walkman, the floppy disc, the CD and DVD, as well as the PlayStation game consoles. And to get where they are Sony had to compete against world class Corporations like Sega, Nintendo, and Toshiba.

Microsoft is a bunch of evil nerds who lucked into owning the instruction set for the PC, then hired a bunch of lawyers to enforce that monopoly. Microsoft is worth more than Ford Motor Company, Boeing, or Sony. And they‘ve done this without manufacturing anything, or competing fairly against any other company.

Apple Computer created the Graphical User Interface for the Mac, yet it took Microsoft years just to copy Apple's innovation and deliver Windows with a GUI. Then came the web browser wars. And remember, Microsoft didn’t create a web browser until Netscape's Navigator was already installed on millions of computers.

Now its the console wars, and once again, Microsoft did not invent the game console.

Microsoft owns Windows and the new Vista Operating System, proprietary code that runs 90% of the world's Personal Computers. They own Direct X, the API that controls graphics on those PCs. Direct X is also the exclusive graphics software for the Xbox 360.

That means all PC games coded in Direct X can easily be ported to the Xbox 360, but not other platforms. In PC gaming, there was an open graphics standard called Open GL, that was championed by Apple, and numerous other Non Microsoft computer companies. Every time Microsoft updated Windows or Direct X, they attempted to stifle Open GL.

The Open GL standard is now represented by the Khronos Group, of which Sony is a member. Software written in Open GL will run on all platforms, whereas Direct X games only run on Windows and the Xbox 360. Since Microsoft controls the Windows monopoly, they can spend billions to subsidize the Xbox 360, and extend the Direct X API.

That's really what this console war is all about. If Sony's PlayStation 3 wins, or at least remains a viable competitor to the Xbox 360, then open standards and open systems will gain market share. If Microsoft wins, they will extend their computing monopoly to the console industry.

A. Scott Piraino
http://thepopulist.libsyn.com

-----------
Old 07-30-07, 04:10 PM   #2
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

Text Record: 44-10
IP: 3223 240D

Yeah, that's pretty much how it is. Microsoft sees the console market as a business opportunity. They are very smart. Notice how they released the Xbox just before the boom in gaming popularity? Sony are veterans of the gaming industry, and Ken Kutaragi has a real passion for developing cutting edge technology. They've been innovating as best they could since the days of the failed CD attachment to the snes. People whine about the PS3's price, but you are getting your money's worth. A 360 will be the last console I buy, if I buy it at all, and I'll only buy it if there is a real must-have game on it or something.
Old 07-30-07, 04:28 PM   #3
p4ntzistheish
The story goes. Bill, B.

Text Record: 5-4
IP: 606D F99A

Good analysis. I'm just waiting for the big switch in popular media when the PS3 takes the "lead' in the "console war". The Wii is just too gimmicky as of now, and all they are adding is more with Wii Fit. Noe mind you I love the Wii, but if a game has to have multiple controller configs just for comfort then that can lad to problems. The 360 has and always will be my least favorite and I refuse to buy one. There are no positive points it has that PS3 doesn't, in fact getting a 360 Elite and Wireless Adapter = 579 bucks. A PS3 is 599, which the added bonus of being a Blu-Ray drive and the ability to be a focal point of a media center, much like the PS2 was at it's time. by this time next year all the PS3 bashers will have switched over, because not even Halo 3 can save the 360 and all of it's faults.
Send a message via AIM to p4ntzistheish Send a message via MSN to p4ntzistheish   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 04:53 PM   #4
сварливый

IP: 30B6 8894

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFS
Good analysis. I'm just waiting for the big switch in popular media when the PS3 takes the "lead' in the "console war". The Wii is just too gimmicky as of now, and all they are adding is more with Wii Fit. Noe mind you I love the Wii, but if a game has to have multiple controller configs just for comfort then that can lad to problems. The 360 has and always will be my least favorite and I refuse to buy one. There are no positive points it has that PS3 doesn't, in fact getting a 360 Elite and Wireless Adapter = 579 bucks. A PS3 is 599, which the added bonus of being a Blu-Ray drive and the ability to be a focal point of a media center, much like the PS2 was at it's time. by this time next year all the PS3 bashers will have switched over, because not even Halo 3 can save the 360 and all of it's faults.

Yes it can.

There are plenty of people in the world who would throw money at microsoft just for being microsoft. If halo 3 didn't even fucking exist, microsoft would still be making gooooood money. I've seen many arguments about the system since it's first opening and it's competition with PS3, people brought up a bunch of game comparisons to show difference in quality of viewing, and I always thought the Ps3 looked better anyway. (I thought so in Call Of Duty, Even though many disagreed with me)

But here's an example, which I agree with, in a game that looks much better on the Xbox 360 than it does on the PS3:

http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/imgcache/8153.imgcache
http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/imgcache/8154.imgcache
http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/imgcache/8155.imgcache
http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/imgcache/8156.imgcache

There is an obvious light difference and there are even some things missing like the Boat in the first picture on PS3's side. But that was just ONE game. There are many other games that have come out since then that I've not taken a comparison, which makes this inviable information for anyone to go on.
██‡███████████████▓▓▓▒███▌████▓▓█████████▓▓███▓▓ ██|
██‡█████████████▓▓▓▒████▌▌▌████▓▓███████▓▓████▓█ ██|
██‡███████████▓▓▓▒█████▌▌▌▌▌▄███▓▓█████▓▓███████ ██|
██‡█████████▓▓▓▒█████████████████▓▓███▓▓████████ ██|
██‡███████▓▓▓▓▒███████████████████▓▓█▓▓█████████ ██|
██‡███████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌████████████▓▓▓██████████ ██|
Old 07-30-07, 05:37 PM   #5
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

Do you know why? Of course the 360 looks better now, ever developer knows how to program and render on a 360. It's what they've been doing for years on various PC Direct X based graphics cards. They know the architecture, they know the capabilities, they know what they can do with it.

The PS3's processor and graphics hardware are like "wtf?" Nobody knows what they're doing, they're still working it all out. It's new technology, developers aren't used to it. I believe what we will see happen over time is the gap between PS3 and Xbox360's graphics quality closing completely, and then the PS3's graphics continuing to improve.

Look at the PS2's games now compared to when it was first released... The difference is incredible. Better graphics, better physics, more streamlined processing. Look at Xbox games now compared to when the Xbox was first released. The difference isn't nearly as large.
Old 07-30-07, 05:48 PM   #6
Indeph
Not_Indeph

IP: 0825 899A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terumoto
Yeah, that's pretty much how it is. Microsoft sees the console market as a business opportunity. They are very smart. Notice how they released the Xbox just before the boom in gaming popularity? Sony are veterans of the gaming industry, and Ken Kutaragi has a real passion for developing cutting edge technology. They've been innovating as best they could since the days of the failed CD attachment to the snes. People whine about the PS3's price, but you are getting your money's worth. A 360 will be the last console I buy, if I buy it at all, and I'll only buy it if there is a real must-have game on it or something.

Krazy Ken retired

And that's basically it. All of the 360's success is just bouncing off the short comings of the ps3. People bitch about the ps3's current game selection, yet it hasnt even been out for a year yet. The 360 had a HORRIBLE launch, it didnt have shit for games either, but xbox games with better graphics. And people expect the ps3 to have more games and developrs in line for the ps3 when it JUST started. The ps3 is an amazing machine
Old 07-30-07, 05:50 PM   #7
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terumoto
Do you know why? Of course the 360 looks better now, ever developer knows how to program and render on a 360. It's what they've been doing for years on various PC Direct X based graphics cards. They know the architecture, they know the capabilities, they know what they can do with it.

The PS3's processor and graphics hardware are like "wtf?" Nobody knows what they're doing, they're still working it all out. It's new technology, developers aren't used to it. I believe what we will see happen over time is the gap between PS3 and Xbox360's graphics quality closing completely, and then the PS3's graphics continuing to improve.

Look at the PS2's games now compared to when it was first released... The difference is incredible. Better graphics, better physics, more streamlined processing. Look at Xbox games now compared to when the Xbox was first released. The difference isn't nearly as large.

Exactamundo. The ps2's graphics in the beggining were eh, but look at them now, they're a shitload better. The problem is, developers continue to create games on the 360 and then PORT them to the ps3. This is why I hate multiplatform games on the ps3. When games originally start on the ps3, it's amazing. Look at games like killzone, metal gear solid 4, uncharted and all that, they look incredible. But everytime a game is also on the 360, the game gets butchered to fuckin hell just so the 360 and ps3 version can be equal. >:0 Makes me so mad I could punch a bird.
Old 07-30-07, 06:14 PM   #8
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

Old 07-30-07, 06:18 PM   #9
Indeph
Not_Indeph

*sigh* @ metal gear solid. I just got done playing sons of liberty.
Old 07-30-07, 06:19 PM   #10
Past Tense
On The Air - COMIN JAN 07

IP: BB78 D6B4

I love my 360. PS3's online game play will never ammount to xbox live. That's why I believe a lot of people choose the 360 over the ps2. More people will be on xblive than whatever they call playstation online.

ADD ME LETS MAKE SOMETHING
Old 07-30-07, 06:21 PM   #11
Indeph
Not_Indeph

The ps3's online is free. And the ONLY difference between the two is that xbox live is more organized. And with "Home" coming out for the ps3(home is also free) I would prefer the psn. But xboxlive still has one server though for all its games which is good and makes finding games easy to find. But then again, you can only use microsoft products for the 360, not like online is gonna be any different.
Old 07-30-07, 08:02 PM   #12
p4ntzistheish
The story goes. Bill, B.

Text Record: 5-4
IP: 606D F99A

Teru killed all that graphics shit, and it will go no where but up. The problem like Deph said is porting. Look at MGS4. Kojima himself has said that they couldn't port if they want because nothing else has the power. Kojima Productions decided not to pussyfoot around with easy shit by upgrading MGS3 a little and adding a few new features, they revamped their game for a new experience that will will be on PS3. They aren't simply upgrading their past gen, but making a new experience for the current. Most developers are in it for the quick buck, making a 360 gmae, changing a little code and throwin it on Wii and PS3 afterwards. 360 gets the best version because it was used to make the game. It's like putting the square block in the square hole, then taking it out and shaving down the corners to fit in the circle hole.
Send a message via AIM to p4ntzistheish Send a message via MSN to p4ntzistheish   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 09:27 PM   #13
L.E
L.E

IP: DEF7 4706

Nintendo Wii is the shit.

But as far as it goes with the PS3 or the 360, I can't decide.

Xbox has Halo and Gears of War.

Playstation has Metal Gear and Final Fantasy.
Old 07-31-07, 03:10 AM   #14
Past Tense
On The Air - COMIN JAN 07

IP: BB78 D6B4

IMO halo and gears of war are better than mgs and ff

MGS hasn't been good to me since the first one

ADD ME LETS MAKE SOMETHING
Old 07-31-07, 06:06 PM   #15
Indeph
Not_Indeph

IP: 7BE2 A0A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past Tense
IMO halo and gears of war are better than mgs and ff

MGS hasn't been good to me since the first one

Umm ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bs.jpg (92.3 KB, 14 views)