RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > Word on the street > Audio Assistance
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-03, 01:22 PM   #1
DEL the funkee

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Mpc2000 Question(s) (mpc heads enter)

IP: 3C7D 2F02

yo sorry if this is a noob question but i just got my machine 2 days ago..

I made up a basic drum loop. the rthym and everything is fine, but I want to sequence it into the song, how would i do that? I fucked around looking for it for about 20 minutes, still no luck.

So basically, how do I start arranging my sequences?

also ill probably have more questions later..peace
Old 10-12-03, 09:56 AM   #2
DEL the funkee

okay nevermind. figured this out. its easy as shit.

but i have more questions.

where is xkwest, doesnt he have a mpc???
Old 10-13-03, 12:12 AM   #3
xkwest

IP: 48A1 A688

sup... its the same as using fruity... except the visual privelege isn't there... you figured it out though...
aim: xkfenex <----- iam not on much...sometimes once a week...

contact@xkwest.com <---a better chance of catching me via email... i check it several times a day....
Old 10-13-03, 12:14 AM   #4
xkwest

by the way i have a 2000xl...so if you have a 2000 there might be slight differences in what and when to press something...
if you haven't already... this might be your best forum for mpc resources.... there's tons of info by doing a search... and asking questions...

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/phpBB2/
Old 10-13-03, 11:32 AM   #5
DEL the funkee

yeah I go there.and i have a 2000xl.

Okay.

I was just wondering how you do your drums. I noticed that everyone assigns a kick to a track, a snare to another track and so on.

and just records one at a time.

Is that supposed to be the best way? because for some reason I have to hit the kick and the snare... just wondering.

lol

one more question. i want to lower the decay of a individual sequence, not a pad. how would i do that?

peace!
Old 10-13-03, 04:05 PM   #6
xkwest

http://www.techtv.com/audiofile/sto...3308290,00.html
^seriously... my first 3 days... i didn't have a clue on the correct way to do until i watched those 2 videos... on that site...
its best to record one pad to a track at time.. unless your doing something like two or more pad variations of the same kick... or unless your doing some melody stuff with chopped samples...
i woulnt' recommend tapping the kick and snare on the same track... it wouldn't be good if you took it to a mastering engineer like that....
i feel you on the two hands thing... this is what i do... one hand hits the kick pad... while the other taps a metal part of the mpc covering(basically that hand is pretending to tap the snare)... like that metal space area close to the circular data wheel... or i'll tap close to the akai....

^^^i do that a lot on slight complex patterns where i put my rhythmic soul into the beat... and iam usually dancing... while tapping that shit out....lol
decay on the sequence... iam not fully understanding what you mean... do you mean like a fading effect ....

example.....

at 1:13 of this http://www.xkwest.com/xbeatm3us/kiss_me_xkwest.m3u

that's nothing more than decreasing the velocity.... basically i just turned the 16levels for velocity on... on the last bar i just tapped pads 16 then 12, then 8, then pad 4...

^there's other ways to do it.. but iam most comfortable doing it this way...
Old 10-13-03, 06:49 PM   #7
DEL the funkee

Quote:
Originally posted by xkwest
http://www.techtv.com/audiofile/sto...3308290,00.html
^seriously... my first 3 days... i didn't have a clue on the correct way to do until i watched those 2 videos... on that site...
its best to record one pad to a track at time.. unless your doing something like two or more pad variations of the same kick... or unless your doing some melody stuff with chopped samples...
i woulnt' recommend tapping the kick and snare on the same track... it wouldn't be good if you took it to a mastering engineer like that....
i feel you on the two hands thing... this is what i do... one hand hits the kick pad... while the other taps a metal part of the mpc covering(basically that hand is pretending to tap the snare)... like that metal space area close to the circular data wheel... or i'll tap close to the akai....

^^^i do that a lot on slight complex patterns where i put my rhythmic soul into the beat... and iam usually dancing... while tapping that shit out....lol
decay on the sequence... iam not fully understanding what you mean... do you mean like a fading effect ....

example.....

at 1:13 of this http://www.xkwest.com/xbeatm3us/kiss_me_xkwest.m3u

that's nothing more than decreasing the velocity.... basically i just turned the 16levels for velocity on... on the last bar i just tapped pads 16 then 12, then 8, then pad 4...

^there's other ways to do it.. but iam most comfortable doing it this way...

Ok im starting to get my drums down, thanks for the tip on hinting the mpc. it helped.

what i mean by decay, is i have a part that i want to fade out on..

and i just have a question on how you set your samples up.

do you just assign your melody sample a certain way, do you play the melody and then play the drums over it or what???

im just wondering, because i find myself pretty cluttered up.

peace
Old 10-13-03, 08:08 PM   #8
xkwest

so you mean decaying a sample on a pad?... if so...
1. shift-6
2. params
3. on the left side is decay... the default value is 5... increase it for a more gradual decay....

for me its important to be organized....
in bank A..
i always have the kick on A13, snare on A14, hat on A15...
^thats basic so i get my creative juices pumping... depending on how ill the sample is i'll have the same kick snare.. and hat on the pads right under those... with slightly different filter settings... as far as the rest of the pads on bank A, like pad A16,A12, and those 8 others... ...those would be for my percussions...and extra drums... like a tom... rims.... tambourine...guiro, shaker,,,etc...
basically bank a is for drums and percussions only.... its like that on every beat....

bank b is for samples and extra effects......i love to chop my samples... its organized based on the chops.... if its chopped into 4 equal pieces... then the 1st pads on the 1st row are filled... as far naming the samples... iam nit-picky and i have those organized too.... example... the name of the beat is dreamstar... so the melody samples are named DMSTARM1, DMSTARM2,etc.... the m denotes... melody.... for vocal samples... its like DMSTARV1, the v denotes vocal of course....
iam giving you more info than you should know... but it helps in the long run....when you get creatively tired of a beat and you want to come back to it later....
i should start my own mpc training lessons... you must provide your own hotel, food accomadations though...lol
Old 10-13-03, 08:20 PM   #9
DEL the funkee

aight good lookin out. ill try to start a full track. shit aint that hard. lol
Old 10-13-03, 08:23 PM   #10
DEL the funkee

actually one last question lol.

I was just wondering if you have a effects card? it sucks that you cant use reverb on normal xl's, because i really like them with my drums.

if you do have a effects card was it worth the money?
Old 10-13-03, 09:16 PM   #11
xkwest

naw i don't have an effects card... its kind of a hassle.. to take the sample back and forth on the mpc... and add effects using cooledit or whatever... and bring it back to the mpc... so basically i rarely use effects... i just have work arounds... for the flanger effect... and that delay effect... plus other stuff to widen the stereo field of the sample...
if its worth it i don't know... there should be alternatives like a lexicon mp100 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=41784
for me sometimes having effects makes me lose focus on finishing the beat.... i remember when i was using fruity... of course... the effects were right at my fingertips... and i would spend minutes to hours to fiddlin' with the effects... and all i would have laid down is one pattern... knowing that i need to make a full song... so it really bogs me down anyways...
Old 10-13-03, 10:19 PM   #12
DEL the funkee

aight thanks for all the help.

lol what was your first beat on the mpc? just wondering, do you have a link or somthing?
Old 10-13-03, 10:31 PM   #13
xkwest

i had three first wack beats... they were so wack i deleted them...
http://www.xkwest.com/xbeatm3us/stream_xkwest.m3u
^^thats the fourth beat i've made on the mpc...
Old 10-13-03, 10:54 PM   #14
DEL the funkee

thats pretty dope for a 4th beat off the mpc.

you are my inspiration xk
Old 10-13-03, 11:03 PM   #15
xkwest

thanks man... just sharing the knowledge...