RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > Word on the street > Audio Assistance
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-03, 09:03 PM   #1
Tha Duce
Duce I Rae

Text Record: 10-3
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
some help for who needs it....

IP: 7B8E 1254

since this is the audio help area I think ill drop some tips for anyone who needs it....

aight im a producer and sound engineer

aight 1st im going to start from the begining ie sound and how you hear it and how you can use that to your advatage when making music.

Sound Pressure waves-

sound arrives at the ear in the from of a peridic variation in atmospheric pressure- this is the same pressure messured by the weather service with a barometer. the pressure veriations from sound are too small in magnitured and very to rappidly to be seen on a barmoeter. these veriations in pressure are called sound pressure waves. they are simluar to the waves in a pool or pond if you though a rock in the watter. the movment in the waves is what you hear in your hear. these are made but a vibrating body that is in contact with the air. exsample would be a speaker or vocal cords or even your hand hitting the table.. all cauz vibrations that cauz sound.

Wave Form Charteristics....
amplitude
Frequency
Velocity
WaveLength
Phase
Harmonic Content
Envelope

ok amplitude is the distance above or below the centerline of the waveform. The above distance is the postive and the bottom is the negitve. the farther away from the center line the more intense. and in the amplitude there is a thing called a cycle and one cycle is one postive and one negitve cycle of the amplitude.

Ok the Frequency is a bit tricky but pay attion.

The rate at which an Vibrating mass or acoustic generator ect, repeats a cycle of postive and negative - going amplatude is known as the frequency of that signal. One completed excrsion of a wave, which is plotted over a 360 degree circle "0 degrees starts at 3 oclock and goes counter clock wise" The number of cycles that happen over the period of one second is messured in hertz.

Ok Velocity

the velocity of wave is the speed at witch it travels though the medium and is given by the formula...

V=d/T2-T1

V is the wave velocity of propagation in the medium
d is the distance from the source
T1 is the begining of the 1st negivitve amplatude
T2 is the end of the 1st Negivitve amplatude

Tempiture also effect velocity at 70 degrees F a sound wave travels about 1130 feet per second. for every 1 degree F above 70 degrees the rate increases 1.1 feet per second.

Ok well Ill go into other stuff later cauz I think i wrote enough to figure out for yea'll if you interested in this stuff and yes ill get to how this can help you once i get thou it all cauz it wont make sence till you understand everything aight cheack yeall later
Send a message via AIM to Tha Duce Send a message via MSN to Tha Duce Send a message via Yahoo to Tha Duce   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-03, 09:23 PM   #2
Conflicting
New to RB

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 4577 CD9A

what does "1 degrees F" mean?
Old 07-09-03, 09:25 PM   #3
Tha Duce
Duce I Rae

one degree in temp.
.................................................. .................................................. ........

[COLOR=Blue]
Send a message via AIM to Tha Duce Send a message via MSN to Tha Duce Send a message via Yahoo to Tha Duce   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-03, 11:59 AM   #4
Tha Duce
Duce I Rae

Wavelength

The wavelength "^" of a wave is the actual distance in the medium between the begining and the end of a cycle.

^=V/f

^ is the wavelength in the medium, V is the velocitity in the meduim, f is the frequency in herz.

that is the formal that gives you the wave lenght

and this formal is for the time of one cycle of the wave lenght

T=1/f

exsample- 30hz travels 37.66 feet in one sec and 300 hz travels 3.76 feet in one sec so you can tell that diffrint frequnceys travel at diffrent speeds and get to your ear at diffrent times.

Reflection of sound is another factor you have to deal with when recording or performing. also known as acustiics of a room or area. when recording you have to think about what dirrection the sound is going and what is it going to bounce off of and how it will come back to the mic. these can add unwanted ecko's and reverbs to your recordings. One fix for this is to record into a conner start directly facing a 90 degree conner and move to your right a foot or 2 but dont turn your body to sing or rap into the conner directly. rap into the wall at the same angle you were before this will thou the sound away from you more than right back to you mimimizing the reflection of sound back into the mic.

Diffraction of sound is simmular but diffrent to reflection of sound.
Sound has the inherent capablity around or thought a physical barrier. In other words sound can bend around an object in a manner that reconstructs the orginal waveform in bolth frequencys and amplitude " relative to the size of the obstacle "
So keep barrers away from the mic and if you do have things like a muisc stand look at how the sound will bounce off the stand and adjust acordingly. this also can help you for instance if you want a partular band with then you can set the mic thou a door way and angle the sourse of the sound on the other side of the door way to fit your band with. this acts like at band with filter and minumizes unwanted frequencys.

Phase

A Cycle can begin at any point on a waveform, so its possible to have 2 wave gererators. IN which they reach there peeks at diffrent times and this is said to be out of phase. A Cycle can be divided into 360 Degrees. same as above when i mentioned Frequencys. If you invert one of the two wave singnals at the same points you can cancell eachother out knows as 180 degrees out of phase.

Phase shift is a term that discribes the amout of lead or lag in one wave with respect to another. it results from a time dealy in the one of the waves. For exsample a 500hz wave completes one cycle every 0.002 seconds, If you start with two in phase 500hz waves and dleay one of them by 0.001 seconds (half the period of the wave), the delayed wave will lag the other by one half of a cycle or 180 degrees. The number of degrees of phase shit introduced by a time delay can be figured out by the following formala.

@=At X f X 360

@ is the phase shit in degrees
At is the time delay in seconds
f is the frequnecy in hz
360 is 360 degrees

From the formalua you can see that the amout of phase shit resulting from a fixed time delay varies in direct proporion to the frequency involved. Fluggin in the values of a few diffrent freuences show that for 1 millisecond (0.001) time delay the following phase shits at diffret freuences will occur-
250hz=90 degrees, 500hz=180 degrees, 1000hz=360 degrees, 1500 hz=540 degrees-360 degrees=180 degrees, 2000hz=720 degrees - (2 X 360 degrees) = 0 degrees...... ect

Harmoic Content...
Ok ill try to make this simple as I can....

Up to this point ive talked about single frequnceys of a wave form composed from one sourse such as a intrument or any other source. this invloves mulipule frequnecys and how they relate. ok for exsample Concert A is 440 hz and 880 is a harmonic with 440 hz because it is 2 times the 440 hz frequnecy. So 1320 hz is also a harmonic of 440 hz because it is 3 times 440 hz. so this is also called harmizing. singings do it with notes but it also relates to Frequencys sincy you can use this to get the most out of your relations in notes and cords. Cords are a lil more complex but releate the same way.

and with in this there are 2 diffrent types of wave forms simple and complex simple would be for exsample a square wave or a tiragle or a saw and they all look like they sound. thous are simple cauz they repeat them selfs over and over and never change. Complex wave forms are completly diffrent, there always changing and no pattern is the same like your voice, Your vocal cords are your most dynamic intriment in the world. It can do more than any other man made intrument. SO it geterates only complex wave forms.

You can filter peaks with simple wave form filters kinda like a limiter only it does this in a pattern that stays the same such as a square form.. If you want more info on this ask me.

If you want to know more about Harmoic stuctures and Frequncey Postioning when you record ask me and ill try to help with that too.

Acustic Envelope

the envelope of an acustic signal is composed of 3 sections, Attack, Internal Dyanmics, and decay. The Attack is the manner the sound begins or increases in intensity. Interanal dyammics descrees volume increases, degreases and sustenations after the attack period. and decayis the manner in which the sound ceases or ends.

Like a someone yelling might have i very High amplitude at the Attack and then die down in the Internal Dyanmics and then get a very low amplitude at the decay. Looks simular to a sideways long triangle.

there is also volume and paning envelopes that can be changed in the course of a track or channel in your recording work. thous are pritty self exsplanitory.

Next Ill talk about ...

Sound Pressure Level
Auditoy perception
Cominaton tones
Masking
Perception of direction
Perception of Space

Then we might go inot Studio Acoustics and Design...

aght this is enough for today ... Peace
Old 07-11-03, 11:02 AM   #5
Massikre
BANNED: AKA Dakidd22 DaShowStoppa2 Hypnotic Massikre

Text Record: 0-3
IP: 1B2C BC6D

is there any beat programs that are available to download, if so what are the most favorable ones?
Send a message via AIM to Massikre   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-03, 11:10 AM   #6
Tha Duce
Duce I Rae

IP: 2101 7762

U use fruityloops 4.1 studio and I dont use the samples it has on it ... so get your own samples and use the plugins but yeah that program is a good beat squencer program unless you are a loop guy then use Acid Pro 4.0 or anything simular to that I use cakewalk pro audio 9 for my recording tis a 256 track recording program with MIDI and use sound forge 6 for sample editing and it has good effects plugins, good for mixing and mastering. Aight hope that helped..

[COLOR=Blue]
Old 07-17-03, 11:55 AM   #7
Tha Duce
Duce I Rae

IP: F625 B6F2

sorry Ive been busy so ill do another section tomarrow..
Peace
.................................................. .................................................. .......

[COLOR=Blue]
Old 07-22-03, 03:27 PM   #8
-BonicS-

Text Record: 0-1
IP: 2821 5AA0

I'm Not Getting This Completely
Old 07-22-03, 03:35 PM   #9
Tha Duce
Duce I Rae

IP: 6518 D7B5

What dont you get? message me on aim and ill try to answer some questions...
.................................................. .................................................. ....

[COLOR=Blue]
Old 07-22-03, 04:45 PM   #10
-BonicS-

Text Record: 0-1
IP: 2821 5AA0

Nevermind I Get What Your Doing
Old 07-25-03, 01:29 PM   #11
Phate
Middle Weight

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 9E18 D314

I don't have the best equipment and sometimes what I hear makin a track ain't what I here once it's burned and playing on a cd. like sounds that seemed to fit in mixin, well, don't.

if I wanted to look at the hz of certain tones to see how they fit together is there a way to analize them?

BTW: I use fl studio. i also have sonar 2.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/2...productions.htm
<B><font size=4 face="still time"><A href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/21stavenueproductions.htm">21st Ave Productions</A></font></b><font size=5> / </font><b><FONT face=gunplay size=4><a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/knockoutzcru.htm">KnocKOuTz</a></FONT></SIZE></B>

<FONT face="bankgothic md bt" size=4> Exclusive Beats for Qualified MC's</FONT></SIZE>
Send a message via AIM to Phate   Reply With Quote