RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-03, 01:25 AM   #1
G.Hod
AI

"First" Gay Rapper to go Mainstream. .

IP: 87B0 7F3F

Hiphopophobia

Rap music is homophobic, rap music is black, ergo black culture is homophobic - wrong on every count

Zoe Williams
Tuesday April 29, 2003
The Guardian

Caushun is a rap artist from Brooklyn, who releases this summer what he has called hip-hop's first gay album. This isn't strictly true (what about Deep Dickollective?), but it's certainly the case that his arrival is being widely described as a breakthrough in black culture. Hip-hop and rap are renowned for their anti-gay content, but there is a much more serious assumption floating around - that black culture as a whole is inherently homophobic.
You see it in news stories all the time, a thoughtless segue from "rap" to "black culture". And yet the evidence for homophobia in black culture is patchy at best, and the upshot of this supposition is to characterise that culture as less tolerant, less sophisticated and more primitive than its white equivalent.

This mistake is born out of one syllogism, one misconception and one silly error. To deal with those backwards, the silly error is this: where no one would ever define "white culture" solely by the views of its young straight men, there is a lazy tendency to do this with black culture. Young straight men tend to be the most homophobic demographic in any culture, since open-mindedness comes from self-confidence, which comes with age.

The misconception is a confusion between rap and reggae. Some reggae is homophobic - Bob Marley isn't, but modern artists such as Tok, Elephant Man and Beenie Man are. This music comes from Jamaica, which is also homophobic - it is one of three Caribbean countries with actively enforced laws against homosexuality.

This attitude arrived with British evangelists, as a direct component of their Christian message. All the homophobic laws date from the period of British governance. There is no evidence that Jamaica was preoccupied with same-sex sex before the arrival of the British. In fact, the only sustainable cultural generalisation that can ever be drawn about homophobia is that it proceeds as a direct result of religious fundamentalism.

The syllogism is straightforward - rap music is homophobic, rap music is black, ergo black culture is homophobic. If you look at the seminal black artists at the start of hip-hop, Public Enemy and Niggaz With Attitude, you won't actually find much homophobia. The only recorded homophobic lyric in Public Enemy's canon was: "Man to man/ I don't know if they can/ From what I know/ The parts don't fit" - it's not a ringing endorsement of homosexuality, but it's nothing to Eminem's "You faggots keep eggin' me on/ till I have you at knifepoint, then you beg me to stop?"

Professor Griff, once part of Public Enemy, was virulently anti-gay, but he was eventually kicked out for this, along with his anti-semitism (he was Nation of Islam, incidentally - again, his views proceed from religious belief rather than race). Dr Dre, once part of NWA, was and remains homophobic - "I don't really care about those kind of people" he said in an MTV interview.

And yet, Public Enemy and NWA were never known for homophobia as much as lambasting everyone: the police, Koreans, women, other black people, other black people's mothers, all figures of authority, Jews, gays, absolutely everyone. The ideal of verbal battle was crucial to early hip-hop - everything that could ever in one's wildest dreams function as an insult was pressed into use.

Ultimately, it was not black rappers but white ones who corrupted this form; being too yellow (white?) to hurl racial slurs, groups such as the Beastie Boys and, latterly, Eminem, concentrated their abuse solely on women and gays, made it more violent and, crucially, more pointed, since it was no longer part of a scattergun attack. The Beastie Boys have recently apologised for their homophobia (the working title for their debut album, they said at the time, was Don't Be a Faggot). Adam Horovitz wrote at the end of last year: "I would like to... formally apologise to the entire gay and lesbian community for the shitty and ignorant things we said on our first record." Note, he does not apologise to any other minority, since there was no racial content, and misogyny (still!) doesn't count.

Eminem is unapologetic about his homophobia, and yet rather prim on the use of the word "nigger": "That word is not even in my vocabulary," he said to a Rolling Stone journalist. "I do black music, so out of respect, why would I put that word in my vocabulary?" Well, that's very sweet, but also absurd from a person whose entire raison d'ĂȘtre is that he's out to shock.

So, this musical form has always revered verbal attack on a deliberately absurd scale. People existed who filtered in a fundamentalist agenda, but they were peripheral. The denigration of women and gays was once incidental to a message of wide-ranging and usually amusing insult. Homophobia has only become axiomatic with the arrival of white boys who want to sound tough but are too frightened and apolitical to attack anyone else.

And black culture, ultimately, is no more homophobic than white culture - which is to say, some people are, and some people aren't.

What are your thoughts on this article? Do you think he'll be successful? If so, will it be due to the publicity he received due to his homosexuality?
Old 07-01-03, 05:49 AM   #2
The MRB
BANNED For Being An Idiot

Text Record: 1-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: C22E FA17

it was used in Hip Hop Connection to (Uk Hip Hop mag, top read) personally i think its bollocks, shes obivously tryna blame the caucasions once again. Im getting bored with articles like this
Send a message via AIM to The MRB   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 06:51 AM   #3
BloodType:FU
BANNED

Text Record: 4-3
IP: 399E F0FD

ive heard of caution for a while now...over a year...used to be on the star and buc wild show alot,playin his shit....its kind of funny....i dont think many people will buy his shit,unless thier gay as well...maybe they will for humorous value...
Send a message via AIM to BloodType:FU   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 01:35 PM   #4
Johnny 6-feet

Text Record: 0-1
IP: 706D C08A

to each his own, although having gay friends i'm pretty upbeat on gay people. in the case of gay men, less competition for me, lol.

people make too big an issue of sexuality anyway.
Old 07-01-03, 04:38 PM   #5
Mr. Rogers
shit is just too easy.

Text Record: 1-0
IP: D60E 522C

I Heard About Him Like 2 Years Ago...He Was On Mtv
Old 07-01-03, 06:39 PM   #6
RiC$EE
Banned

Text Record: 3-0
IP: 6612 DF93

FUCK A FAG... NO FAG RAPPERS
Send a message via AIM to RiC$EE   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 07:51 PM   #7
varentao

IP: 4F2B 4EA2

Raises some interesting points that me and some bluds covered before. But she did it in a more compressed and eloquent way..

...but yeah, i got nothing much against gay people. Other than they should have safer sex. Otherwise HIV/AIDs will keep on eating away at humanity till we get to a total extreme...

And MRB, she didn't blame it on the whites. She said it's 'equal'. Both do it, none are better or worse. But seeing as black people are by far the majority in hip-hop, you'll hear more coming from a 'black mouth' in general than a 'white mouth'...

One sometimes needs to use some extreme and isolated references to get their points across. Hence the references to Eminem and Beastie Boys.
Old 07-01-03, 10:04 PM   #8
C-Section

IP: 872B E5DF

i only hate fags when they hit on me and when they act like girls, like, "oh my god" and moving there hands gay and talking with a gay voice....

if fags would act like men they wouldnt be so hated.
Old 07-02-03, 12:22 AM   #9
Luke C-Walker

IP: C1DA C961

You look like a Homo in your sig pic.

No pun intended..
Old 07-02-03, 12:41 AM   #10
Johnny 6-feet

IP: 706D C08A

Quote:
Originally posted by C-section
i only hate fags when they hit on me and when they act like girls, like, "oh my god" and moving there hands gay and talking with a gay voice....

if fags would act like men they wouldnt be so hated.

jeez-sus i gotta address this, if you are CONFIDENT in your own sexuality, which you're clearly not. then being hit on by a man wouldnt be a big deal, all you gotta say is "i dont swing that way", and boom, the message is across. i doubt you've ever been hit on a by gay man anyway, the fact that you've even brought the idea up suggests you'd love the attention.

if they "act like men" they wouldnt be so hated? by who? you? listen up you fucking idiot, do you even know what a man acts like? do you think seirouly think there is one set of correct actions for a man to take you fucking nazi? the only people who hate gay people are narrow minded bigots like you who are HATED by everyone else who actually posesses any intelligence. fuck you, you fucking twat.

and Ricsee, congratualtions on using 1 whole 2 sylabble word on your 6 word post. hope you wiped the sweat off your brow after you did it and returned to watching transformers afterwards. what would mommy and daddy think if they heard you using nasty language like that? do they know you're on this site? do they know you listen to hip-hop with all the bad words in?

someone give that kid a cookie.

Last edited by Johnny 6-feet : 07-02-03 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-02-03, 10:06 AM   #11
varentao

IP: 4F2B 4EA2

^^^Exactly. If you're comfortable with your own sexuality, then you'd have no senseless problem with them.
Old 07-02-03, 12:20 PM   #12
The MRB
BANNED For Being An Idiot

Text Record: 1-1
IP: C22E FA17

Why does every homophobic male think gays fancey them no matter how fuckin ugly they are ( and most of em fuckin are) im not gay by the way
Send a message via AIM to The MRB   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 12:45 PM   #13
Mixed 50/50

IP: F329 A72E

i hate gay people.......
Old 07-02-03, 12:48 PM   #14
Luke C-Walker

IP: 4577 CD9A

was that the guy on ohh drama?.. lmao rappin about dogs and cats n shit?..
Old 07-02-03, 02:31 PM   #15
fgee

IP: 24A3 0EF0

ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

imagine the videos with 'ho's'......
i dont hate gays..
i just dislike them...but they cant help being what they are
i agree with c section though....i hate faggy shit like their voices and poofy way they do shit like over reacting...makes u cringe

lesbians r cool though.....