RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-05, 03:54 PM   #1
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

EQing and Mixing guide.

IP:

Since I end up doing this a lot, I might as well make it an open deal. If you tried to EQ and you're not happy with what you got, or you want to see if there's more that can be done to your vocals or your mixing procedure, shoot me a file of an acapella DRY ("dry" means it has no effects, no filters, nothing at all done to it) and I'll shoot them back to you wet and EQ'd for comparitive purposes and to see whos' really not getting them most out of their set-up. I'll also tell you what I did and how you can do it for your self.

Just know that I use terms that the average engineer would use such as:

Lows: aka Bass. These are frequencies that are about 300Hz and down. This will affect the body of your voice and manifests in your vowel sounds during your pronunciation of words, like "word". The "er" sound is directly controlled by the lows aka bass. Go too high on it and you'll start hearing sounds that you didn't want to, like line noise and your 'b's will be far too heavy on your vocals. Setting this will depend soley on voice type, and the set-up. Males are WAY differnet from females, and all male voices specifically need certain tuning that other male voices won't and similar applies for certain ranges of female voices.

Mids: These frequencies are about 500Hz to 5000Hz. The overall sound and tone of all your words. Could make the difference between a track sounding muffled, or sounding open and alive. Go too high and you can easily sound like you're screaming high-pitched sounds instead of rapping actual words.

Highs: aka Treble. Frequencies about 5000Hz and north. They affect sharp sounds and hard sounds like K's, S's, P's, B's, D's, etc. In a word like "word" the "d" in word is directly tunable with the highs. Going too soft on it will make the "d" sound dull, almost like "wor" where as going too high on em would make it sound like "wert".

Oh yeah, it'd help if you told me what make and model of mic you had too. But remember, dry, and no beat, just acapella. 1

PS, please don't IM me or PM me asking to mix your entire song for you!! not gonna happen!!

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Last edited by Apexx : 11-27-05 at 04:34 PM.
Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote