RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-07, 08:32 PM   #1
Marksmen.
New to RV

Text Record: 0-0
Freestyle or Written?

IP: 7C0D E3A7

The Big Question: In a battle, should you freestyle or spit a written?

Here's what I think: You have to ask yourself, what is a rap battle? A rap battle is a contest of who can spit the better rhyme. Usually to win the battle, you have to get the crowd on your side. Now when you freestyle, sometimes you mess up. And when you mess up in a battle, you basically lost. But if you spit a written, there's a less chance of you messing up. And most of the time, a written is alot better than a freestyle.

And another thing, most people battle for BIG money(10,000+). The person you're battling may be spitting a written. Now if you're trying to stay "true to the art" and freestyle, you just may lose all that money. I'd prefer written.

Give me feedback on what you think about it.
Old 03-31-07, 08:43 PM   #2
Dufflebag Boy
why so serious!!??

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 3AD5 555C

if people get the option in a battle then i would probably write it knowing that i could sorely lose to someone else who wrote theirs if i decide to freestyle

but if people have to freestyle i would prefer that cuz anybody could write something if they take their time and try hard enough but to be able to get a good reaction out of people with sumthin u just made up as u went along? now thats priceless
Old 03-31-07, 09:25 PM   #3
Compose

IP: 3776 31BC

FREESTYLE

without question, i see it as, if you cant freestyle at all for a battle then you shouldnt be battling, period, thats not to say you cant use writtens once in a while, but you should be able to hold your own freestyling

i say you have a few written punchlines in the back of your head INCASE you cant think of shit, but you're supposed to diss your opponent based on whats happening AT THAT TIME and moment, his clothes, style, last verse he said etc., full verse writtens in a battle is extremely gay imo

getting a crowd on your side by dissing his appearance and flipping everything on him ON THE SPOT, gets you WAY more cheering then if you just said a bunch of random punchlines

theres heads like the saurus, illmaculate and nocando from the west coast that are INSANE in freestyling, i'd vouch that the saurus will tear up any written someone would have

dont know if you know scribble jam, but the prize for that last year was 10,000$ or 50,000$ one of them, and A LOT of heads really freestyle, cuz most of the people there know it takes really good skill to go off the top

however i can see where you're coming from like, lets say its the last battle and theres like 10 g's on the line or somethin and the other guy just spit a really good written and you're out of shit to say like freestyle-wise, then i'd say yea you'd have to go with writtens at that point cuz i wouldnt give up 10 g's like that, but to go through an entire event saying nothing but writtens, and every single battle you do is written...THATS really gay imo
I cant buy clothes when the manikins are watchin" -Canibus
Old 04-01-07, 12:20 AM   #4
Paranoid
The Paragraph President

Audio Record: 2-1
IP: 2372 BC06

it really depends on how confident you are with your freestyle. some cats is just flawless when they spit off the top, and other not. personally sense I'm not that dopest mufucka ever I'd do a written but if there is judges for the battle besides just a crowd and these judges know their shit then i'ma prob stay true cause then they could prob figure out if its written or not.

My Myspace
My Soundclick
Send a message via AIM to Paranoid Send a message via MSN to Paranoid   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 12:45 AM   #5
Jay 3rd
Light Weight

Audio Record: 2-0
IP: 1865 7239

i agree with compose on certain parts, i cant freestyle a long time but i can do atleast 30 seconds which is about the average time... but at school what most people did was theywanna hit a battle they wrote a few things in class and battled after school.. no mess ups really or anything nice clean battle.. but then u got the talented people who dont need to write.. so it all depends on the people.. Freestylin is a Talent not something u can learn... so i say Both for this topic

Send a message via AIM to Jay 3rd   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 12:48 AM   #6
Paranoid
The Paragraph President

wtf you can learn how to freestyle, you just need to practice it man. and usually a true emcee admit he can freestyle even if he aint pacifically "good" at it. but every rapper should be able to freestyle, you just gotta zone into your mind better ay. focus

My Myspace
My Soundclick
Send a message via AIM to Paranoid Send a message via MSN to Paranoid   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 12:54 AM   #7
Jay 3rd
Light Weight

naw man u eiha have it or u dont.. sometimes weed can help but i seen a looot of people try and fail terribly if u kno hoe to even a little then yes it is possible to learn cuz u have the talent to start it off.. but i seen way too many people that can only write.. but actually end up bein really good artist.. just cuz ya cant freestyle doesn't mean u aint a rapper.. if u can make hot tracks and make money fuck the freestylin.. just dont take the offer on the basement lol

Old 04-01-07, 01:10 AM   #8
Paranoid
The Paragraph President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 3rd
naw man u eiha have it or u dont.. sometimes weed can help but i seen a looot of people try and fail terribly if u kno hoe to even a little then yes it is possible to learn cuz u have the talent to start it off.. but i seen way too many people that can only write.. but actually end up bein really good artist.. just cuz ya cant freestyle doesn't mean u aint a rapper.. if u can make hot tracks and make money fuck the freestylin.. just dont take the offer on the basement lol

yea but most rappers can do both and I believe a true lyricist can do both so its good to practice both as equal. but yea your right as well. but rappin isn't bout the money, though it can be a job I'd rather not think of it as a job.

My Myspace
My Soundclick
Old 04-01-07, 01:16 AM   #9
Jay 3rd
Light Weight

word son, damn i wish battles could get replies as quick as the lounge does.. be pretty hype then

Old 04-01-07, 01:19 AM   #10
Paranoid
The Paragraph President

^it'll never be like that on rapverse.

My Myspace
My Soundclick
Old 04-08-07, 10:32 PM   #11
Clokworx
Flyweight

Text Record: 2-1
IP: EA63 E645

I say you freestyle. But if your dying down, throw some written lines in there that you know are good.
Old 04-08-07, 10:41 PM   #12
Paranoid
The Paragraph President

it dont matter if you think there good, it matters what the audience thinks. you could do a better freestyle line possibly cause its funnier than your written line that is just a straight metaphor. or plain rhymin with no flare.

My Myspace
My Soundclick
Old 04-08-07, 10:56 PM   #13
Sir Smash'Alot
Middle Weight

Text Record: 3-0
Audio Record: 1-2
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: E442 B2FF

if your saying abunch of irrelevant shit, you aint gonna win the battle if hes really freestyling and hes any good

cause if i can flip everything you said in your good verse, and make it better, then you spit some more random shit, then i do it again, what you said aint shit anymore

Sir Smash'Alot aka Third Eye
Send a message via AIM to Sir Smash'Alot   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 11:11 PM   #14
Clokworx
Flyweight

Text Record: 2-1
IP: EA63 E645

yeah, all about makin the other guy look bad, and showin your skillz
Old 04-10-07, 12:05 AM   #15
Chris Stylez
Semper Fi

IP: 28AD 5545

In a battle....I mix it up and stay fluid....I may use open and close with a written and do like 12 of the top of the head.

Project List

The Classick Mixtape Vol (8/18)
Age Of Consent Mixtape Vol 1(16/16)
The Classick Album(2/16)
S&S Express E.P.(1/10)

Lot of back to back shit. Stay tuned.
Send a message via AIM to Chris Stylez Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Stylez   Reply With Quote