RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > Word on the street > Audio Assistance
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-03, 12:25 PM   #1
Envious Stylez

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Bang For Your Buck Mics...

IP: 95A0 6F84

I was thinking of getting Sony V-F220...($25)...or a Shure SM58($250)......Now I was looking for good quality....but I don't know if I want to spend....a ton of money.....so is their any good in between mics.....
Old 06-17-03, 12:43 PM   #2
Q

IP: 8111 73B5

wtf.. those 2 r totally different mics..

i got a sony 30 buck mic.. and if u know how to manipulate and tweak ur quality it can sound madd dope.. even tho the shure is nice 2.. but i'd never pay for that shit..

for my sony mic.. quality check it out.. cant even tell its a cheap mic

www.soundclick.com/statik
Old 06-17-03, 06:54 PM   #3
AlcaTrakz
Middle Weight

Text Record: 7-1
Audio Record: 1-0
IP: B4AC 694E

yes u can..
Old 06-18-03, 03:03 PM   #4
Ty T. YT
New to RB

Text Record: 1-4
Audio Record: 1-3
IP: 4F99 5374

If you're gonna spend $250 to improve the quality of your audio for recording on a computer... get a decent soundcard not a mic cause it'lll make more of a difference.

In other words just get a $25-$50 dollar mic... cause even shit computer microphones that you can get for $10 sound decent with better soundcards (but they break easy).

I don't know why people think the microphone effects sound quality the most. It will help a little but if you're gonna get all anal about sound quality WTF are you doing recording on a PC?
Old 06-18-03, 11:58 PM   #5
Envious Stylez

IP: 95A0 6F84

Quote:
Originally posted by Ty T. YT
If you're gonna spend $250 to improve the quality of your audio for recording on a computer... get a decent soundcard not a mic cause it'lll make more of a difference.

In other words just get a $25-$50 dollar mic... cause even shit computer microphones that you can get for $10 sound decent with better soundcards (but they break easy).

I don't know why people think the microphone effects sound quality the most. It will help a little but if you're gonna get all anal about sound quality WTF are you doing recording on a PC?

I have a sound blaster audigy.....that isn't a bad sound card....and I'm recording on a pc because I don't have the money for studio time/nor do I feel ready.I'm doing to this to gain experince,but I want something that will sound good.Any specific mics that are good to buy....drop the info..would be greatly appreciated...
Old 06-19-03, 07:28 PM   #6
Ty T. YT
New to RB

Text Record: 1-4
Audio Record: 1-3
IP: 4F99 5374

Okay here's what I was saying... If all you're going to do is record on your PC for the fuck of it don't waste money getting an expensive mic cause it doesn't make a difference. Just get whatever mic won't break.

Shit I've used $10 wal-mart mic on my soundblaster audigy platinum 2 and it still sounded better than using a $50 mic wit my on-board sound.
Old 06-20-03, 12:31 PM   #7
Luke C-Walker

IP: 399E F0FD

sm58's cost 100.. never seen a sm58 priced at 250.. :-\
Old 06-21-03, 01:03 AM   #8
Rhyme Masta

IP: A10D 4933

Yo it depends how serouis ya taken it if ya wanna sound pro by a good mic and the dopest soundcard you can find and that sound good add in a good mixin program and it sounds like studio.
Old 06-21-03, 06:21 PM   #9
AlcaTrakz
Middle Weight

Text Record: 7-1
Audio Record: 1-0
IP: B4AC 694E

dope setup....

delta 66 sound card...and an akg condensor mic

lower line...

delta 66 sound card...and a rode condensor

even lower....

audigy platinum ... and the cheapest condensor they have at sam ash or guitar center...
.pz.
Old 06-25-03, 10:17 PM   #10
-BonicS-

IP: 2821 5AA0

Nope, you dont need a VERY expensive mic. If you just want to get in internet shit get a 50 dollar mic and PM me for info on good ass quality! and if u want to get a shure than you'll need a dope soundcard. Than get a preamp, and insert soundcare in your "line in" port and unmute it. Thats a trick that u just learned
Old 06-28-03, 04:19 PM   #11
VersaStyles

IP: 15CF 3DE1

i record wit an audio-technica ATR30 only $50 n shit wrks fine just use a pop filter n then it comes down ta ya mixin skills if u good at mixin or know sum1 who is then u can get by well off until u can afford or need a better mic

if u plan on droppin tracks n eventually gettin studio time go for a cheap mic but if u tryna do things on ya own pay for a good quality mic n wrk on ya mixin cuz u'll save lots of money that way

holla whun
Old 07-09-03, 08:18 AM   #12
Elmo
...MiCrOpHoNe MuRdErEr...

Text Record: 0-0
IP: F5D6 C71C

why the fuck a shure sm58 cost so damn much ? is that the cordless one ?

we NIC runnin da game......
Send a message via AIM to Elmo Send a message via Yahoo to Elmo   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-03, 08:08 PM   #13
fabolous89
Jamal ZacaRooof

Text Record: 1-3
IP: D27D 0B18

i got a sony fv420 it's sexy but my quality is ass loool
Send a message via AIM to fabolous89   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 09:42 PM   #14
bouncedoggydog
"Cuz bruk said so"

Text Record: 1-0
IP: F005 00C3

Pick up a cheap samson condensor with shock mount ($80-100 ) at sam ash, then add a pop filter, ($10-25) then all you need is a decent preamp. Focus rite would be optimal, but go with the presonus tube pre amp ($99) at guitar center. Now you trash the tube it comes with and replace with a Goove tube ($10-15). For the same amount or less than the sure, you can have a nice little set up. It will work for your purpose, and it wont break you completely. DJX is right, you can tell the difference in the audio, using a cheap mic ALWAYS. What you can't hear, you can see with a network analyzer, believe me, the crap will show up.

One last word of advice, if you plan on building a home based studio, please do yourself a favor and never skimp on your monitors. I don't care what mic you use, just make sure you invest in a good pair of monitors. You will thank me later, design the system around the monitor. Near field, passive, with very flat response like the classic white cone yamaha's ms10's <--I think they are...Some one correct me if the designation is wrong (ms10)...

Last edited by bouncedoggydog : 07-31-03 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 09:52 PM   #15
bouncedoggydog
"Cuz bruk said so"

Text Record: 1-0
IP: F005 00C3

I almost forgot, you don't want the amp to warm or colorize the sound when near field mixing, so make sure your amp is flat and matched withyour monitors. I get away with using my crown power base 1 or 2 in my home studio, works well.
As long as your processing the sound at 24 bit's the audio should be good enough for your purpose. Taskcam makes a decent usb recording interface, it comes with cubasis, and is under $200. Check into it, if your serious about building a budget type recording studio. My daughters set up is just a bit more than that, she's running pro tools on her Mbox by digidesign. A hand me down from pop's...