RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > Album Reviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-05, 01:43 PM   #1
Thassarap
.The Movement.

Text Record: 3-3
The Game- The Documentary

IP: E396 20B2

The Game- The Documentary

Intro- Just talkin on a beat….
Rating- N/A

Westside Story f/50 Cent- Game spits gangsta on a hot beat from Dr. Dre AND Scott Storch. That’s right, two of the best producers on one track. The whole album is packed with high profile producers, which is the why the G-Unit Game sounds so much different from the "Untold Story" Game. 50 Cent would love to claim credit for Documentary’s success, but the production is the real reason. 50’s dope on the hook here as always, and fortunately doesn’t do a verse.
Rating- 9/10

Dreams- We’ve all heard this one… I’m not sure why this was used as a single, but it’s not a bad song. Kanye West produces this one.
Rating- 9/10

Hate it or Love it f/50 Cent- Another one that everyone’s heard. I personally like the remix better (found on 50’s "Massacre), but both are dope. Another hook from 50, but this time he does a verse too. Its not bad, but he can’t outshine Game.
Rating- 10/10

Higher- This one should have been a single instead of Westside Story or Dreams. In my opinion it’s the 3rd best track on the album (1st- Put You on the Game, 2nd- How We Do), and Game proves that he doesn’t need 50 to make a catchy hook. Dr. Dre’s beat is FIRE…
Rating- 10/10

How We Do f/50 Cent- If you haven’t heard this song, you’re probably deaf… The excessive airtime can’t ruin it though. 50 lights up the hook, and actually spits a good verse, another hot beat by Dr. Dre also helps this one.
Rating- 10/10

Don’t Need Your Love f/Faith Evans- Game raps about how tough is life is, but not to feel sorry for him. I ain’t really feelin the hook by Faith Evans, but its not horrible.
Rating- 8/10

Church for Thugs- Basic track about how Game’s a thug and that you shouldn’t fuck with him. Yet another dope beat, this one from Just Blaze.
Rating- 9/10

Put You on the Game- DOPE AS FUCK!! Best song of 2005, one of my alltime favorites. Energetic club track on a dope Timbaland beat. This should have been a single, but for some reason it wasn’t. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made it his next single though, and if he does it will be playing for months.
Rating- 10/10

Start from Scratch f/Marsha of Floetry- Another beat by Dr. Dre & Scott Storch. It isn’t as good as I would expect, but it’s still dope. Game spits about what he would or wouldn’t change if he could start his life over again.
Rating- 9/10

The Documentary- Game talks about his life, and compares his album to the classic rap albums:
"I’m "Ready to Die", without "Reasonable Doubt", smoke "Chronic" and hit it "Doggystyle" before I got out, until they sign my "Death Certificate" its "All Eyez On Me", I’m still at it, "Illmatic", and that’s "The Documentary.""
Jeff Bhasker provides one of the album’s best beats. Game really likes to show respect for classic rap, if you haven’t already noticed. If you listen to his lyrics, you’ll find many references to rap classics.
Rating- 9/10

Runnin’ f/Tony Yayo- This ones a slower track, with Tony Yayo as the only non-50 G-Unit collabo. The hook’s good, but I ain’t feelin the beat from Hi-Tek.
Rating- 8.5/10

No More Fun and Games- The beat’s good, Game spits fire, but one of the wackest hooks I have ever heard…
Rating- 8/10

We Ain’t f/Eminem- Eminem produces this, and is featured on it. Do I need to say anything else. It sounds like every other Eminem song, even Game sounds like Eminem on his verse. Eminem even samples two of his other songs in this (One Day at a Time, Patiently Waiting).
Rating- 8.5/10

Where I’m From f/Nate Dogg- This is pure West Coast music. Nate Dogg on the hook, G-Funk beat, Game spittin about reppin Compton. I was expecting more of this from all of Game’s talk about putting the West back on the map, but this track is still good.
Rating- 9/10

Special f/Nate Dogg- This is Game’s song for the ladies. Nate Dogg sings another dope hook, despite it being a little bit corny ("I want you to know you’re special").
Rating- 8.5/10

Don’t Worry f/Mary J. Blige- Another song for the ladies, Mary J. Blige does a good job on the hook, and sings a bit it. I like how the beat is soft when Mary is singing, and then switches to a grimy piano beat when Game starts rapping.
Rating- 8.5/10

Like Father, Like Son f/Busta Rhymes- This song is dedicated to Game’s son, and is done perfectly. The BuckWild beat works perfectly with it, and Game does a good job with the lyrics. Busta Rhymes is an unusual choice for the hook, but it worked better than I would have expected. So much better than "Mockingbird"…
Rating- 10/10

Overall- This is one of my favorite albums, and in my opinion, definitely the best of 2005 so far.
Rating- 9.75/10
Old 08-13-05, 02:27 PM   #2
AssasSINation
The Truest TRUTH

IP: 0D11 88C9

wow u rated these songs too high they too much i agree wit Westside story,how we do, and some others like stat from scratch but way too high......

[CENTER]
Send a message via MSN to AssasSINation   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 06:51 PM   #3
gotaasswhoopin4u
Throwback

Text Record: 3-1
Audio Record: 0-1
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: A041 6BA0

Damn, the album's hot but, damn. not this hot. if anything Where I'm From is the only track I'd give a 10.
Old 08-15-05, 10:13 AM   #4
Thassarap
.The Movement.

IP: F758 A55D

my real rating would be this:
westside story- 8.5/10
dreams 8.5/10
hate it or love it 9/10
higher 10/10
how we do 10/10
dont need your love 6/10
church for thugs 7.5/10
put you on the game 10/10
start from scratch 8/10
documentary 8/10
runnin 7.5/10
no more fun and games 5/10
we ain't 7.5/10
where i'm from 8.5/10
special 7.5/10
don't worry 8.5/10
like father, like son 9/10
overall- 9/10

still probably higher than u would have rated it, in the review i tried to rate similar to other album reviews....boyz n da hood got a 9.5/10, i'm a hustla got a 9.75/10, and documentary is better than those two put together....by the rating system used in other reviews, the album would be all 10s....but i tried to make it art least a little bit better so it wouldnt seem wack next to the other reviews
Old 08-15-05, 12:33 PM   #5
Speats
Hell yeah

Text Record: 10-8
IP: 5262 5C6E

yeah pretty good, but start from scratch is a 15/10 seriously
Send a message via AIM to Speats Send a message via MSN to Speats   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 02:32 PM   #6
CataclyzM-i-C
Beantown's Finest

Audio Record: 0-0
IP: 81CE 2F6B

illest song on this album is definately Put You On The Game !!!!
No More Fun & Games wud b iller if it didnt have such a wack ass hook but the beat is SICK...
but i cant even listen to the last 4 songs cuz they wack !
Where Im From is fireeeee 2
Old 08-15-05, 10:36 PM   #7
Thassarap
.The Movement.

IP: 9C56 DB5A

finally, someone who agrees that put you on the game is dope

and where i'm from IS one of the last four songs
Old 08-15-05, 11:13 PM   #8
CataclyzM-i-C
Beantown's Finest

my bad last 3 ^^^
Old 08-16-05, 02:11 AM   #9
*Bad Newz*
got u all confused n shit

From: city of the tower of sears cowards wit tears as the hear the hip hop messiah is here
Text Record: 0-0
IP: 1829 C9DA

yea this hot.....Cataclyz...i wanna battle yo whack ass,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 08-16-05, 07:05 AM   #10
Dirty Nigga
E-Style, Bitch.

Text Record: 33-18
IP: B6C0 18CA

garbage cd, if you heard any mixtape tracks by game before this album was released, y'all would see that he recycles ALOT Of rhymes.

People Hate What They Can't Conquer
Send a message via MSN to Dirty Nigga   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-05, 09:54 AM   #11
chip
pain is weakness leaving the body

IP: F38C 26F8

hey on Don't Need Your Love, why did he shout out Mobb Deep in the intro? were they even signed to G-Unit yet?

"I don't want to be deep... I want to feel deep and use that feeling to express depth itself..."
-Konchance

my poetry:
untitled
Send a message via AIM to chip   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-05, 09:57 AM   #12
Dirty Nigga
E-Style, Bitch.

Text Record: 33-18
IP: 5DA6 760F

Nope, they wasnt signed

People Hate What They Can't Conquer
Send a message via MSN to Dirty Nigga   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-05, 11:56 AM   #13
CataclyzM-i-C
Beantown's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Merkage.
yea this hot.....Cataclyz...i wanna battle yo whack ass,,,,,,,,,,,

LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-05, 05:54 PM   #14
J.D
One Mic

Audio Record: 2-3
IP: 38B5 0CC0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin`cere
i agree wit Westside story,how we do, and some others like stat from scratch but way too high......

how we do woz pure mainstream wackness....... westside story woz alrite though, nice beat on that
Old 08-16-05, 11:58 PM   #15
BIG BOSS
New to RV

From: COLUMBUS, OH...dont "SLEEP"; or get "SLEPT" and your "HEAD LEFT" in tha back of a "JEEP"...
Text Record: 2-1
IP: 7BE2 A0A1

His whole CD was hot...the only song i didnt care to much for is the song "Special"...but other than that, i would give his CD a 4/5 for real...

PUNCH THAT BITCH!!!PUNCH THAT BITCH!!!

VOTE ON MY BATTLES...
BIG BOSS V.S. #1 Prospect...
BIG BOSS V.S. PhreeNapdizzle...