RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > Back Stage > Tutorials
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-05, 11:23 PM   #1
L.E
L.E

Limited Edition's First Tutorial...Recording With A Shitty-Ass Mic With Good Quality

IP: DB16 D9CD

Somebody put this in Tutorials.

Thanks Nos.

Okay...this is my first tutorial. I'm gonna show you how to take a regular, desktop mic that you bought at Radio Shack for fifteen bucks into a decent recording mic.

NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE COOL EDIT PRO OR AUDOBE AUDITION THIS TUTORIAL IS USELESS TO YOU.

Step 1:

Okay...now your gonna have to do a little riggin up. I took the top cone part off of a broken dynamic mic, stuffed Kleenex into it, fit it over the stick mic, and taped it on. I am dead serious. Make sure it's secure enough so that it won't fall off.

EDIT: Ghost pointed out if you couldn't get the piece off of a dynamic mic. You can use a sock with kleenex in it. Same effect.

Step 2:

Okay...make sure you have your headphones on so you do not get any feedback from the speakers. This helps a lot...trust me. Record your verse. And the next thing you do, trim the vocals until you just have the verse perfectly carved out. This removes excess background noice before your verse and after.

Step 3:

Okay...you have trimmed your verse. Next, go into the single track editor, select all, and then go into effects. Select Noise Reduction, and scroll down to Noise Reduction. Get a profile of the noise in the vocals, and then put the Noise Reduction Level at 1. Hit Ok.

Step 4:

Next, go into Effects, then Filters. Go into Graphics Equalizer, and then select "Spit Clear." After that, go into Filters again, and then select FFT Filter. Select "Gentle and Wide." After that go into Filters YET AGAIN and select Parametric Equalizer, and select "Hum and Hiss Removal." By now, your vocals should be sounding decent by now.

Step 5:

The next thing you do is simple: Go into Effects, Delay Effects, Reverb. Then you simply select Vocal- Natural Reverb. Your done for this step.

Step 6:

Now this step relies entirely on your voice, but this is what I did for my voice: I went into the multitrack editor, select the EQ tab over the volume control. In the track that has your vocals, I set the EQ's as this: H- 11.0 M- 1.1 L- 2.2. Set the vocals volume so its equal with the beat.

And BAM! Your done.

Listen to One Son's Symphony on my page:

www.soundclick.com/limitededitioncan

I used the exact same steps I displayed here.

So there ya go...it's not quite as good as big expensive mics, but it's a lot better than the level of quality your at right now.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Limited Edition : 10-18-05 at 12:34 AM.
Send a message via AIM to L.E Send a message via MSN to L.E  
Old 10-18-05, 12:00 AM   #2
.Ike.
Ike

Audio Record: 3-1
IP: 577C 1E7C

damn that song actually has pretty good quality...props man....i may do this even with my condensor
Send a message via AIM to .Ike.  
Old 10-18-05, 04:03 AM   #3
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Audio Record: 8-2
IP: 67A8 5417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invektive
damn that song actually has pretty good quality...props man....i may do this even with my condensor

it won't work with a condenser for 2 reasons, 1, being that this works with "shitty mics" and 2, a condenser's diaphragm is in the head, not in the body like a dynamic. You put ANYTHING in there and the mic will sound like absolute crap since the diaphragm can't vibrate like it's supposed to - IF you didn't blow it first. Cheers! lol

LE, this woulda worked with just a sock too BTW, no Kleenex needed.

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X  
Old 10-18-05, 05:21 AM   #4
Tha Q.
OYD

IP: 1ADC A69C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited Edition
Somebody put this in Tutorials.

Thanks Nos.

Okay...this is my first tutorial. I'm gonna show you how to take a regular, desktop mic that you bought at Radio Shack for fifteen bucks into a decent recording mic.

NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE COOL EDIT PRO OR AUDOBE AUDITION THIS TUTORIAL IS USELESS TO YOU.

Step 1:

Okay...now your gonna have to do a little riggin up. I took the top cone part off of a broken dynamic mic, stuffed Kleenex into it, fit it over the stick mic, and taped it on. I am dead serious. Make sure it's secure enough so that it won't fall off.

EDIT: Ghost pointed out if you couldn't get the piece off of a dynamic mic. You can use a sock with kleenex in it. Same effect.

Step 2:

Okay...make sure you have your headphones on so you do not get any feedback from the speakers. This helps a lot...trust me. Record your verse. And the next thing you do, trim the vocals until you just have the verse perfectly carved out. This removes excess background noice before your verse and after.

Step 3:

Okay...you have trimmed your verse. Next, go into the single track editor, select all, and then go into effects. Select Noise Reduction, and scroll down to Noise Reduction. Get a profile of the noise in the vocals, and then put the Noise Reduction Level at 1. Hit Ok.

Step 4:

Next, go into Effects, then Filters. Go into Graphics Equalizer, and then select "Spit Clear." After that, go into Filters again, and then select FFT Filter. Select "Gentle and Wide." After that go into Filters YET AGAIN and select Parametric Equalizer, and select "Hum and Hiss Removal." By now, your vocals should be sounding decent by now.

Step 5:

The next thing you do is simple: Go into Effects, Delay Effects, Reverb. Then you simply select Vocal- Natural Reverb. Your done for this step.

Step 6:

Now this step relies entirely on your voice, but this is what I did for my voice: I went into the multitrack editor, select the EQ tab over the volume control. In the track that has your vocals, I set the EQ's as this: H- 11.0 M- 1.1 L- 2.2. Set the vocals volume so its equal with the beat.

And BAM! Your done.

Listen to One Son's Symphony on my page:

www.soundclick.com/limitededitioncan

I used the exact same steps I displayed here.

So there ya go...it's not quite as good as big expensive mics, but it's a lot better than the level of quality your at right now.

Enjoy.

PM Strobe and ask to get this stickied...Oh, and ignore the know-it-all nigga, his pulse dies when he can't run his mouth

Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.  
Old 10-18-05, 07:17 AM   #5
Status
Ask About Me

Text Record: 72-16
Audio Record: 8-3
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 791D 7873

yp i got a condenser but im gona use the other things you said about the hiss and shit..word....im gonna copy and piaste this to WORD so i can just open it up when i need it.....THANKS

Old 10-18-05, 01:56 PM   #6
L.E
L.E

IP: DB16 D9CD

Nadda problem...

I'll PM Strobe.
Old 10-18-05, 09:13 PM   #7
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 19-4
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 81D9 FAB1

should maybe stick it in a forum where it belongs though. And theres already a few real good tutorials in there. But good looks on puttin in work. word.

Same Page Productions
Send a message via AIM to Phenom-in-all Send a message via MSN to Phenom-in-all