RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > The Museum > Pieces of History
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-08, 10:19 AM   #1
King Solo
Skadoosh!

RapVerse's 10 Most Influential Crews

IP: 2BA6 1F0F

RapVerse's 10 Most Influential Crews
Judged by Popular Opinion
and
Brought to you by Nick Fletcher.

#10 – The Blueprint
This crew comes in at number 10, simply because back in the day of its creation it was one of the “elite crews”. With pretty much every crew around them taking in fresh faces daily, the Blueprint stuck to its guns of only accepting a select few. They weren’t about the numbers game, they were about the quality, and back then they boasted a couple of notable members in Jpoll and Daclassic who were thought to be some of the best back then. I believe they were the first crew to block outside eyes from peeking in with the use of the now commonly used password protection. This crew was like a hot club back in the day, pretty much everyone wanted in, but if you weren’t on the list then you didn’t get no entry. Although they weren’t around as long as some crews, they made an impact and attracted probably more members than most.

#9 – B.R.A.N.C.H. S.T.A.T.U.S
Arriving at number 9 is a crew founded by an old online buddy of mine, Mr. CounTREE Jay. This dude brought in several decent battlers into his crew and established what I still believe was the first “real” battle crew. Other crews battled here and there, Branch Status welcomed all challengers and more often than not they came out on top. CounTREE Jay and Mic-Wrecker were a formidable tag team back in like 2004, generally leading the forefront in crew battles against any crew that challenged them. Branch Status elevated the trend of crew battling and was one of the most influential in bringing the era of crew battles to RapVerse. They are still remembered today for their influence, and I believe they will be for some time to.

#8 – STFU
Still going today, the number 8 pick has to be STFU, and if you don’t know what they stand for then here is four words… SHUT THE FUCK UP! That has been their mantra from the get-go. Founded by one of the best battlers to ever grace this site, Mimesis, this crew was never about letting others know how good they were. They were simply around to tell everyone to shut the fuck up, they didn’t care who you were, what crew you represented, and they had no respect for anyone unless they earned it. It is also the only crew to date who have had an original way of trying out; yes, rather than drop some material or get invited, you had to post 5 links of you telling 5 different people to shut the fuck up. ROFL. They just loved to kick back, chill and chat, and tell everyone to shut the fuck up, and they started a trend of other crews forming to simply enjoy the entertainment of laughing and disrespecting people. So, they are my pick for number 8 in RapVerse’s 10 Most Influential Crews.

#7 – Authentik Intelligence
At number 7, is Authentik Intelligence. The debates that have gone on in the past at who the true founder of this crew was have been entertaining to say the least. I won’t be so presumptuous as to say who the true founder was, but our very own Deadly Visions brought this crew onto RapVerse. It is the only crew to actually officially take over another crew, the once notable crew of Murderous Methodz was on a dominant run, but then one day the disbanded and united under the AI flag. Since then this crew has had resurrection’s to rival the likes of Jesus Christ. It’s like they don’t know when to call it a day, and to this day now they are still around. For the time of their arrival, they had probably the most formidable line-up of battlers to ever appear in one single RapVerse crew. They took to crew battling with ease and wiped the floor with most challengers. Their only flaw was leadership arguments, the leadership of this crew changed more times than any other crew. Still though, they had a dominant run a few years ago before they finally settled into a spectator role, observing the newer up and coming crews. They take the number 7 spot for the simple fact that they are still talked about today and they have been surrounded by more controversy than any other crew.

#6 – O.Y.D
The first, the last, the only audio crew ever on RapVerse, yes, coming in at number 6 is the self-proclaimed greatest crew on RapVerse, O.Y.D aka Owning You Daily. It is not a lie to say that OYD is the audio division on the site, they have all the best audio heads and they have since they began. I’m not too familiar with their members as I am not an audio head myself, and I’m not too familiar with any possible crew battles… but the fact that I know who they are and how well respected they are makes them worthy of this spot. They set the bar for audio on this site and as of yet it has not been surpassed. Any new audio heads that join the site and display a general talent, they generally flock to this crew. So yeah, their influence stays strictly in the audio section of this site, but it is a great influence and that is how they like it. They don’t try to influence anything but the music and that is a respectable quality. They are my number 6 pick in RapVerse’s 10 Most Influential Crews.

#5 – The Council
At number 5, it has to be probably the largest crew on RapVerse and probably any site ever, it is none other than The Council. The home of the legendary Da Vinci who only ever pops up once a year or something like that. At one time they boasted an impressive roster of topical, text and audio battlers. They were formidable opponents and not many crews dared to challenge them. They are the only crew to date that incorporated structure and had a leader, and then secondary leaders (I guess) and then rookie members. They at one point completed, albeit temporarily, a monumental alignment with The Establishment, however difference of opinions soon killed that and they reformed as The Council once again. If memory serves, they are the second longest running crew (not counting Authentik Intelligence because of their countless resurrections), falling only behind Crhyme Sindicate. For their sheer staying power and influence of general wisdom throughout the site, The Council takes the number 5 spot.

#4 – Living Legends
Coming in at number 4, a crew that knows no bounds when it comes to hijacking members, it is the Living Legends. They were a crew for quite some time and they had a notable run in crew battles, defeating some crews that were considered to be superior to them. They were founded by M-Eazy who is sadly no longer with us after getting banned. Still though, his creation deserves this worthy fourth spot because Living Legends were without a doubt, the greatest crew for stealing members. Mock that achievement if you will, but it just goes to show the recruiting talent of the crew. They would lure members away from other crews, and when one member left a crew they were the first to snap up the talent. And let’s put it like this, any crew that can lure the likes of Mimesis into their midst is deserving of credit. They didn’t boast the greatest roster to begin with, but their sheer tenacity in proving their worth led them to become one of the better crews on this site. So, they get the fourth spot in RapVerse’s 10 Most Influential Crews.

Last edited by The Curator : 11-12-08 at 11:03 AM.
Send a message via AIM to King Solo Send a message via MSN to King Solo   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 11:10 AM   #2
King Solo
Skadoosh!

#3 – LyriKal DestruKtion

The first entry into the Top Three is the first crew I ever joined, LyriKal DestruKtion. Since a lot of the current members are somewhat new faces and many of the old heads have left, some of you may not know this crew. Still, the fact remains that this generally small-time crew has had some of the biggest influence on this site.
It was originally founded by long since left member, Killah Bwoy aka Kontroverzy. In his time he has been the brains behind several crews, but this was his first I believe and the very best. He optioned for an open door policy, willing to accept anyone into the crew who was going to prove to be dedicated. It didn’t matter if they were new, old, a less than average battler, a dope battler… he accepted them and got the best out of what they could do.
The crew was never built upon a solid roster, in general it didn’t really boast any really notable battlers for its times. A lot, if not all were new rookies looking to elevate themselves and earn respect. And that is what they did. With a line-up of battlers some people laughed at, LyriKal DestruKtion became the first crew to set an undefeated crew battle record of 5-0 before they disbanded. To some nowadays, that may not seem like much, but back in 2004 with the roster they had they were considered to be weak and nobody even expected them to get a single win, let alone put together a string of five.
I mean, this was a crew that nobody who was considered to be good took a look at. They bypassed the doors and joined bigger crews. Still though, LyriKal DestruKtion kept on going with loyal members like Killah Bwoy, Gkillaz05, Nick Fletcher (King Solo back then) and DeLeon. One of their notable surprise wins was when Nick Fletcher and DeLeon teamed up against the formidable duo of Branch Status’ own CounTREE Jay and mic-wrecker and ended up demolishing them in a 5-0 knockout.
So yes, for me they had a great influence during their time. They showed other crews that it didn’t matter whether you were average or dope, LyriKal D knew how to get the best out of what they had. They inspired other crews that followed, the likes of Destined2Rhyme and even the late Living Legends that you can still dominate without a supposedly dominant roster. They also showed newer members that with a little elevation, you can go a long way.

Last edited by The Curator : 11-12-08 at 10:30 AM.
Send a message via AIM to King Solo Send a message via MSN to King Solo   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-08, 11:02 AM   #3
King Solo
Skadoosh!

#2 – The Establishment

The number two pick, well, it has to be The Establishment. When I think of The Establishment, only one word comes to mind, “DOMINANCE”. Without a shadow of a doubt, there has not been a crew more dominant than The Establishment. They had a huge influence on RapVerse, basically making every other crew pay attention and take note. Whilst some crews set the bar, The Establishment took that bar to a whole other level… one that hasn’t been reached by any other crew to this date.
It was originally founded by the brilliance that is Adam Johnston, Mr. Red Bull himself. He formed a crew built around some of the best battlers that have ever been on this site. Through its passing months it boasted undefeated members like Adam (28-0), Spektikul (34-0), Kirk (22-0), Mimesis (80-0). Then there were members like 3-time KORV winner SpuL; the untouchable multies man Nelson Tavarez who finished with 38 wins with 28 knockouts; Nick Fletcher with 103 wins with 71 knockouts. They had a balanced roster of some of the best text, topical, poetry and audio heads. Throughout the entirety of the Awards Months, The Establishment and its collective members won around 60-80% of them every month. They dominated in all leagues and tournaments.
Despite all that domination though, their most noteworthy achievement as a crew was establishing an unmatched, undefeated 10-0 record in crew battles. To this day, that record hasn’t been matched and no crew has even looked like hitting that kind of number. The Establishment took on all comers and went about making a point to challenge the very best, from Living Legends, to 6 Feet, to Authentik Intelligence… The Establishment beat them all.
At one point there was a hint that an even greater crew was to be formed, with The Establishment and The Council looking to unite and ultimately have every square inch of RapVerse dominated. This lasted all of a few moments as it all fell through and the two parted ways and remained as solo operations.
The Establishment eventually parted ways after running every area of RapVerse for so long, there wasn’t much left to do but hand the reins over to some other up and coming crew to take over. They have been through 2 or 3 resurrections, but they never stuck. Some members still rep the name to this day, and don’t be surprised to find them returning some day if a certain unmentioned crew would dare to accept their challenge. You know who you are.
Old 11-12-08, 11:20 AM   #4
King Solo
Skadoosh!

#1 – Crhyme Sindicate

Yes, coming in at the top spot, as if there was going to be any other crew, it is Crhyme Sindicate. The oldest family to exist on this site, they were the first and will probably end up being the last. Through 6+ years they have stuck together, they have gone through trials and tribulations, multiple leaders, passing members, but through it all they have remained on top.
Despite the roster they show to everyone, Crhyme Sindicate in total has easily had more members than any other crew. This is not down to a turnover of members, this is down to the fact that they are the oldest and whilst some may not agree, I do believe the most respected crew on RapVerse. Most of the respected members on this site have at some point been a member of the family.
The crew was originally founded by none other than their most dedicated member, the guy who still runs the show, SV, the Super... SUPERVILLAIN. He began the crew in late 2003, with it consisting of just his fellow Cali/Nevada MC's, but through the Internet and the RapVerse Alumni he managed to get worldwide "Crhyme" affiliations. SV really has been the driving force behind this crew for so long, he treats every member as equal, which is very respectable. He never starts shit with anyone and his presence has inspired all other Crhymies past and present to emulate such character.
In the old days they used to run shit in crew battles, I am not aware of anyone who has actually beaten them. Whilst not boasting a streak like The Establishment, CS has simply made a name for itself for outlasting everyone. I would be a fool to try and list all its notable members because there has been so many, but to name a few… SUPERVILLAIN, Atticus, In-Vision, Flow Intelligent, CounTREE Jay, WillaPeer, Black Thief, Valor and many, many more. Their roster has covered everything from text, topical, poetry, audio… they have dropped collabs, open mics, tracks and pretty much everything you can think of that has appeared on this site. Like a true Crhyme Sindicate they have had their hands in just about everything.
Some people will look at them and think, well they haven’t won as much as other crews, maybe haven’t been as dominant. The fact remains that there can be no other crew more influential than Crhyme Sindicate because they are the father to all RapVerse crews. They were the originals, the guys that sparked the crew trend on this site. They set the bar for all crews that followed them, and in part they are somewhat responsible for every accomplishment any other crew has achieved simply through their influence and inspiration. So yeah, it was never in doubt that Crhyme Sindicate always has and always will be the most influential crew on RapVerse.

Congratulations fellas.
Old 03-18-10, 06:47 AM   #5
King Solo
Skadoosh!

Special Mention: The B.E.S.T. Crew

Okay, so after reviewing the history of this crew I felt they deserved a special mention. They were not in the Top 10, now whether that is because they came to the scene late or not is up for people's own opinion.
This crew were persistent though and even though they got shit thrown at them for seemingly no legitimate reason, they never let that faze them. At around the time of 2006-2007 when crews were dying on this site, these guys stuck to their guns. Made up of youngsters as young as 11 years old, these dudes banded together and swarmed the site. They hit up the cyphers which were completely dead. They battled in Front Lines just to give it some activity, even being forced to battle each other a lot of the times just because nobody else was interested.
Indeed, in a time when this site was in a serious decline, these guys tried their best to keep some rap/battle activity to a site that had become virtually a glorified chatroom. While they may not be the best crew (no pun intended) they are definitely up there as one of the more dedicated crews. And to be a crew of up-and-comers with no recognised members and to still keep going in the face of all the hate thrown their way... I have to hand it to them and it definitely makes them worthy of a mention here.