RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-08, 08:58 PM   #1
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Audio Record: 8-2
Booth I built for someone.

IP: CF8D 8CBB

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 09:08 PM   #2
Blay'all

Audio Record: 1-1
IP: 70E0 FA1B

Apexx... what the FUCK is up man.

<< Blay.

★ G ☆ U ★ N ☆ N ★ E ☆ R ★

Old 05-01-08, 09:10 PM   #3
Blay'all

IP: 70E0 FA1B

PS - total budget?

Old 05-01-08, 09:17 PM   #4
Enygma
O.wning Y.ou D.aily

IP: BA25 6B45

Word.....I'm wondering what the damage was as well. I got some open space in the house I just bought and I'm thinking of how I'm going to turn it into some sort of studio. Gimme some details brotha!!!!
Old 05-01-08, 09:28 PM   #5
Chris Stylez
Semper Fi

IP: 1921 4445

Dopeness. i been looking for guides to building a booth from scratch Got any tips?

Project List

The Classick Mixtape Vol (8/18)
Age Of Consent Mixtape Vol 1(16/16)
The Classick Album(2/16)
S&S Express E.P.(1/10)

Lot of back to back shit. Stay tuned.
Send a message via AIM to Chris Stylez Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Stylez   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 12:08 AM   #6
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

What's goody Blay.

The parts were stupid cheap, so I wont include that in the cost. The foam is where you make or break your budget. Its the most crucial part, you need a lot of it, and hell, it flat out looks cool! He decided he wanted foam inside the booth, and on some walls outside. He shopped around, even the best places, and got quoted $507. I told him "dont buy from those guys man, I'm hooked up with the guy that MAKES their foam." He canceled his order and got it from me for $325.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygma
Word.....I'm wondering what the damage was as well. I got some open space in the house I just bought and I'm thinking of how I'm going to turn it into some sort of studio. Gimme some details brotha!!!!

Oh man, that's a GREAT position to be in. If you've got the right room you can have a studio space by putting up one wall. this studio was built with 2. And building a studio wall is so easy, seriously, even a caveman could do it.

Chris, building a booth from scratch is easy, fun, and cheaper than a lot of people think!

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 12:14 AM   #7
Blay'all

IP: D168 6D7C

word, i'm moving into my own single apartment August 1st, and i'm gonna have a big ass walk-in closet (like 9 ft. by 4 ft.) that i'm considering turning into a booth with my SM7 and Pro Tools

any advice on my best bet to do that efficiently?

Old 05-02-08, 09:03 AM   #8
Enygma
O.wning Y.ou D.aily

I appreciate it Apexx. I'm actually going to most likely build 3 walls because of the space available and outlet set up. I'm kind of limited on both, so I want to keep the booth close to the outlet so I can have my computer set up right next to it.

I'm still fuckin with the Samson C01U, but when I get this built and start raking in some money from my upcoming deployment to Afghanistan, I'll def be in the mood for an upgrade, which I'll probably be seeking out your advice on.

One last question. Would I be able to use mattress foam the same way as this studio foam? I think its cheaper to be honest with you and if it can be used the same way, I'm all about the budget......lol.
Old 05-02-08, 05:37 PM   #9
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teevy Wonder
word, i'm moving into my own single apartment August 1st, and i'm gonna have a big ass walk-in closet (like 9 ft. by 4 ft.) that i'm considering turning into a booth with my SM7 and Pro Tools

any advice on my best bet to do that efficiently?

Sound deadening in such small spaces is CRUCIAL!! You can go from recording echoey, what we call "blurry" vocals with a lot of involuntary noise, or crisp clear clean vocals, and it all comes down to two very simple things, mic location, and foam. With selecting mic location, remember that the wall in front of you is the least important. The walls on the side and behind you are the most important. Why? because those are the walls that bounce the sound back toward the mic again, and you want to stop them from being able to do that. So record facing the shortest walls, not the longest ones. The longest ones should be at your sides.

Quote:
I appreciate it Apexx. I'm actually going to most likely build 3 walls because of the space available and outlet set up. I'm kind of limited on both, so I want to keep the booth close to the outlet so I can have my computer set up right next to it.

I'm still fuckin with the Samson C01U, but when I get this built and start raking in some money from my upcoming deployment to Afghanistan, I'll def be in the mood for an upgrade, which I'll probably be seeking out your advice on.

One last question. Would I be able to use mattress foam the same way as this studio foam? I think its cheaper to be honest with you and if it can be used the same way, I'm all about the budget......lol.

Yeah, the C01U. Truthfully, you can cut mixtape quality tracks from a C01U.

And for foam, you want my best advice man? don't use mattress foam dude, that shit is literally useless, and every time you look at it on your walls it'll look like wasted dollars. The noise cancellation properties are non existant, and it changes colors over time and looks down right hideous. Here's what the old foam looked like compared to the new foam, and this is "shipping foam", better than mattress foam, but still shit.

That's what all shit foams look like after they discolor. And you pay for that, and still have shitty sound control? Just doesn't make any sense.

One of the biggest advantages to audio foam is you spend less time mixing. We put the studio foam in and his mix time went down to literally 3 minutes. The studio foam was doing most of the mixing! Fixing the messed up sound for him. Its better to get a small amount and place it strategically than a large amount of shit. And if you're going to buy foam Enyg, do not pay retail. Call me before you buy anything.

Do you have the measurements for your space yet?

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.

Last edited by ∆ P E X X : 05-03-08 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-03-08, 12:02 AM   #10
Enygma
O.wning Y.ou D.aily

I haven't built it yet, but I was planning it out today and was thinking 8 feet tall by 4 feet wide by 4 feet deep. Just a vocal recording booth that would fit the average man and a mic.
Old 05-03-08, 05:05 PM   #11
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Quote:
I haven't built it yet, but I was planning it out today and was thinking 8 feet tall by 4 feet wide by 4 feet deep. Just a vocal recording booth that would fit the average man and a mic.
Yeah 4x4 is a pretty good size. That's 128 sq feet. 96 ft of foam would cover over 75% of your space, all your key walls, and you can get it from me for 160. stores want 253!

and to anyone reading this right now, anyone can have a pretty respectable booth in their house for $200, and that includes foam! dont sleep on the foam man, a booth without foam is like a pussy without walls.

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.

Old 05-03-08, 05:19 PM   #12
Jay Rose
I don't lose

Audio Record: 7-1
IP: 1058 C353

haha, sorry man but that analogy....awesome!!

im workin on my shit soon once this roommate of mine moves out ill have the space

well i thought about the army
dad said, son you're fucking high
and i thought, yeah there's a first for everything
so i took my old man's advice
three sad semesters
it was only fifteen grand spent in bed
i thought about the army
i dropped out and joined a band instead