RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-05, 05:57 AM   #31
PrahJect
Champion

IP: 7205 C38F

I dont have no representative, but readin everyone here, I wish yall good luck with ure audio's im hopin to be at this level soon........
Old 08-17-05, 12:03 PM   #32
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Audio Record: 8-2
IP: B73C 3D1E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflekt
o no..i make my own music from instruments..jus like The Neptunes..so would i still get sued for that? and if you do make it big..about how many people will be part of your "Staff"..like managers and everything.

Nah. You cna't get sued for original compositions unless its a melody from some copywritten song or something liek that but the odds of that are slim at best. As far as a 'staff' well the exact number of people is hard to say since who knows how big some of your facilities will be, but you'll need at least one of the following:

• Representation, (usually a manager) they make sure your contract dosen't rape you as much as it would without them.
• A lawyer who is usually gonna be working in tandem with your manager unless your manager is also a lawyer which has it's own ups and downs. But generally they make sure you don't do or say shit that'll get you in legal trouble as best as they can.
• A Road manager if you're touring - this isn't like the normal manager. He just bitch slaps you and makes sure you're at the venues you're supposed to be at in the time frame you're supposed to be there. He also makes sure you don't get dicked for $ on your performance(s). Usually one of the last staff members you'll need.
• An Agent. They book shows and make calls to speak to people that you either A: can not or B: would not. Like with everything in this list, the manager can also assume this role which also has it's ups and downs.
• A/R if you're on anything that resembles a Major Label they're going to assign you an A/R. And A/R is essentially your 'boss' and your father in one. He tells you what to do and what to change about your self in order to become more marketable but (for the most part) he's also acting in your best interest. If you ever wondered why XYZ rapper sounded different after they got signed, the answer is A/R - which stands for Artist and Repitoire btw. They essentially 'build' you.
• Distrobution. Usually the record label takes care of this, but this'll make or break anything you do since this controls where your albums are actually sold and in what markets, the pricepoint threshold etc.
• Publishing. This one isn't a mandatory 'staff' member type thing but I HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend you go buy your own publishing company. Lets say you release an album and you want it to get spins on every popular radiostation on the eastern seaboard. That promtional CD at every station generates income and when you don't own your publishing rights, that money goes to someone else - 99.9% of the time, your record company. Meaning your voice and your work is bing played on national radio and you get zilch. Companies like Bad Boy get the reputation of Rapin-U-Records because they own a publishing company that lets artists recoup recording costs (essentially, overhead) from publishing royalties that'd otherwise be payable (aka, goign in your pocket) so a huge chunk of the $ you'd see goes down the crapper. This gave countless rappers the sour taste in their mouth about 'the industry'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One M.B.
Obviously, the AIM convo went a little something like this....

OneManBand713 (25:61am): Hey, you're gay
Deepblue12234234324562345 (25:62am): omg who told you
OneManBand713 Rooted dooms' girl at 11:35pm
OneManBand713 Signed off at 12:25pm
Deepblue238974239847 came out the closet at 39yrs old

straight copy and paste.

you said you weren't gonna post that...:runs off in e-tears that looks like asterik's:

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-05, 12:39 PM   #33
J. Luth
I see dumb people

Text Record: 21-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 8835 C2D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltizzle
yea
my group has managed to jump a couple of steps
i have a manager whos pretty high level in the rap industry...which means she has quite a few big name connections
so once we get a couple tracks we really like, we can get them onto worldwide mixtapes with other mainstream artists...which is mad nice

lol word to that. ~_~

^wordddd

2x Best audio head (Jan '05, Jan '06)
KORV 2 Final 4
KORV 0 and KORV 3 Champion
First 1-2-1 champ

3x Best Audio collaboration... (August '05-October '05)
Send a message via AIM to J. Luth   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-05, 11:21 PM   #34
Reflekt

IP: 2029 97B3

damn man how do u kno so much about this? hey wanna be my manageR? ha ha.
Old 08-18-05, 02:32 PM   #35
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Audio Record: 8-2
IP: B73C 3D1E

^lol, I'll pass on th manager thing, but I know it form going through it and reading up on it to not be unprepared. Gotta know the law mang. Know that shit and you can easily realize when someone's about to screw you, or when you're legally about to screw someone else.

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote