RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-05, 06:34 PM   #1
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Audio Record: 8-2
How to get "Known".

IP: B73C 3D1E

This post will adress how to get known by record labels. There's really only two ways:

1: Someone from a label hearing some of your work dry with no reccomendation.
2: Someone from a label hearing about you via word of mouth reccomendation and looking into you.

Either are equally as easy/hard as the other but I'll discuss em both anyway.

• Getting a label your work from dry: Lets say I wake up one day and say "yo Dooms, you know wht you should do yo? Go to XYZ record label's office and drop em a CD"! This is essentialyl the same as mailing one in or anything of the sort. The CD gets to em and who ever you visualize listening to it (like diddy or Jay or who ever else you fantasize about) will never hear it. It'll get listened to by one of many screeners who listen to it to make sure you atleast rap on beat and speak english and if you sound like you're speaking through a vocal transformer or any other dysfunctional shit liek that. They also listen to if it's catchy or inteesting. These people are called "Talent Scouts" and can sometimes be a regular-ass A/R with no clients, but in any case, if it passes, that'll get passed on to the next guy up who's an A/R. He just listens for two things: 1: if he can work with you, your sound, and what he percieves you may be like as a person and 2: if any of that will make you "marketable" meaning if people will swarm out to buy anything you're on to the point that the company makes money off of you. that A/R will pass it on to some senior exec or a financing manager and so on for their second opinion to see if they think it'd be worth investing in you. If they're feeling strongly that they can make the company's investment in your sound profitable, they'll make the effort to contact you for you to sit down and talk to them. You go in, tlak to them, and they read a lot from the things you do besides the msic you make, they listen to your attitide, willingness to cooperate, how much bullshit you'll take, etc. Maybe they like your overall attitude but on closer examination they don't liek your music. And it's not that it's not entertainng, its that they dont' see thta peopel will go apeshit over it or otherwise get that investment returned and multiplied. From there they'll decide if they need to see you again for what ever reason that'll essentially boil down to them making the same decision of "Are they worth it". These guys have all sorts of formulae and past experience and sales and marketing research to determine how they'd need to market you and if you'd be sellable like that so don't think it's all just "luck". This stuff is calculated out to the last cent before you even come in the office. If you come in the office. The upside to this is that you dont' spend 1/10th the time in whoring yourself around to clubs and gigs. The downside is that your CD on't goes as far as what label you send it to. No other labels hear it.

• Getting a label your work through word of mouth: Lets say I woke up this morning and said "Dooms, know what you should do yo? You Should enter every battle competition at every club you can get yourself to and enter freestyle cypher you can and really set shit on fire." I'd go ge what ever info I needed to get on theclub's battle roster and go walk into street cyphs and so on in the hopes that someoen in either crowd happens to be either in the know, or a talent scout(s) for XYZ label(s). These scouts will reccomend you to the exact same A/R mentioned in the prior scenario, just thta now they'll do it with strength and conviction like "yo, this guy dooms...he's nice. The crowd responds to him and he's nice live." The A/R takes all this into consideration when he listens to your stuff now. The process of "marketable" (which just means that they'll invest money and see that amount plus far more come back IN as a result of promoting you) or not marketable is the exact same. This is where things liek radio play, CD's sold underground, shows done, etc., already give the A/R's a relatiev forecast of whta kind of crowd you bring and what you'll move. The upside to this is that multiple labels can hear your work at once time. The downside is that it can take far longer to get heard in the necessary chanels that would bring this level of credibility. Typically, your introductory contract to the company will be higher as a result of public history and "buzz".

Both methods can get you the same place and both are "getting known". Notice that one method was not listed here and that's the net. The net is completel ignored by the industry for a very good reason. Anyone with any kind of set-up and any level of scincere interest can record a track and contacting the owner of that track (if needed can often be quite difficult. The screening process in the delivery of the CD and the performing method is the natural screening process. There's far less 'garbage music' in the office since the percentage of people with lackluster work will already pull out and decide to not mail in or perform anything and makes screening the aplicants far easier and faster. Stuff like photocopy paper'd CD covers and things like that are near guarantees that your CD will end up in the garbage. There's no natural screenign process liek this on the net. Any person goign through a phase of "fuckin around with rap" can record tracks on their computers and post it on the net, get people excited (who could just be that very same person on multiple names sweating themselves) and not be able to generate anything at the end of the day. Record companies cant' stand that thought, so the net is completely ignored by talent scouts at major labels. Additinally, if you come ot them, they know that you're willing to get reamed a little easier for them, where as if they com ot you, you feel as though you're in control and it'll be harder to work you. The only possible exposure that can come from the net is the word of mouth type and that's not the same caliber of the live performance word of mouth since no one EVER gets into convos abotu up and coming rappers and someone blurts out "yeah..that guys nice but you know of this cat in the internet?".

I hope this helped put things in perspective to someone somewhere.

- Dooms.

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 06:35 PM   #2
Tonedeff
New to RV

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 21E4 110B

Cool.. good looking out playa.
Old 08-18-05, 06:37 PM   #3
Tha Q.
OYD

IP: 1ADC A69C

Reporteed///////////////////////
Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 07:40 PM   #4
13th.
©

Text Record: 14-4
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 2-0
IP: 68F3 D87D

thanx dawg nice to see bt there aint that may gigs and shit in England!!! i wont make it anyways!!!
Old 08-18-05, 07:44 PM   #5
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Knight
thanx dawg nice to see bt there aint that may gigs and shit in England!!! i wont make it anyways!!!

uhh..alright. Thanks for the umm..beneficial and informative post.

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 08:09 PM   #7
~Lady Fiya~
~*Duchess of Metaphors*~

Audio Record: 3-0
IP: 07A8 D079

Who's making Doomsday known? Oh wait this is more of a question for: Doomsday.

What's your credentials? Are you signed? Are you an A/R?

Just wanted to know if this is an "opinion's thread"... You failed to mention that in the first post.
Old 08-18-05, 08:12 PM   #8
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Lady Fiya~

Just wanted to know if this is an "opinion's thread"... You failed to mention that in the first post.

ahahahahah

CHEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-05, 08:15 PM   #9
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

Quote:

What's my credentals? I'm one of 3 owners of a record label. A record label that's buying into two clubs and a production company as well as already owning a management company with REAL lawyers.

Are you signed? Yes. With a real legally binding contract drafted by a real lawyer.
Are you an A/R? Yes. Way more artist than A/R, but I also do A/R work. Ask the two new producers signed to The Rush or J-Bridge.

And this is not an opinions thread seeing as there's no validation of anyones work here at all. This is a documentation of the process of getting recognized by a label and is filled with facts and actual company protocal. It's not my "opinion" of how these things are reviewed, it's actually how they're reviewed. Ive sat in more record label offices than I'd ever care to mention.

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.

Old 08-18-05, 08:19 PM   #10
Tha Q.
OYD

sitting in a real EXECS office doesn't make u an expert...the flunky who runs and gets the coffee probably has spent more time in their "office" than you.

you spend more time on the i-net than Diddy Does...or Jay Z

why?..cuz they are REAL Execs

u are a know-it-all who KNOW one KNOWS...LIKES...or even gives a damn a bout

'cept maybe dat WHORE u call a mother

daz all I have to say

yea...I don't like u...why? cuz ur a piece of SPIT!
Old 08-18-05, 08:19 PM   #11
~Lady Fiya~
~*Duchess of Metaphors*~

Audio Record: 3-0
IP: 07A8 D079

What's the name of your record label and congrats on a lawyer. *Claps* my mother owns her own beauty salon and has a real lawyer for it... yes, a REAL lawyer.

What label?
Old 08-18-05, 08:20 PM   #12
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
What's the name of your record label and congrats on a lawyer. *Claps* my mother owns her own beauty salon and has a real lawyer for it... yes, a REAL lawyer.

What label?

Broke-&-All-Alone Records???
Old 08-18-05, 08:25 PM   #13
L. Veracity
You Cant Handle The Truth

Audio Record: 0-2
IP: 0C81 5418

^ ouch...ThaQ. is getting all up in that ass...

and ain't even whip out his penis ...

^ WE - RAWWCAST - 24/7 ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artik Phrost
LV - real talk as usual..dope shit
you're like the best story teller over a beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseOne
my whole album is inspired by you LV.
thats how i got this classic album.
Send a message via AIM to L. Veracity Send a message via MSN to L. Veracity Send a message via Yahoo to L. Veracity   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 08:28 PM   #14
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

if you clowns really have legit questions go make a new thread and ask em. dont' derail this one.

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.

Old 08-18-05, 08:33 PM   #15
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

if you clowns really have legit questions go make a new thread and ask em. dont' derail this one.

www.soundclick.com/apexx

The Rush Ent.