RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > Back Stage > Emergency Help Center
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-03, 03:39 PM   #1
Pr0phecy

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Post Text Rubric

IP: 8B67 292D

Alright. I'm tired of not seeing any great text battles, so I'ma give you cats some pointers on how to write a good text verse.

1.) The biggest problem with your verses is FORMATTING.

Instead of writing your verses like this:

blah blah blah blah / blah blahblah, blah blah blah / blah blah / blah blah blah / nigga nigga / blah blah / nigga / fag / blah /

Write them like this:

blah blah, blah blah blah, blah /
blah blah blah, blah blah, blah /
blah, blah blah, blah blah blah /

Writing your verses in a formatted style, with your lines and bars all of similar length makes it MUCH easier to read, and MUCH easier to follow the flow.

Try to keep your lines close to the same number of syllables, this helps to ensure good rhyme scheme and flow.

2.) Multis and interbar rhyme.

Once you have the format of a verse down, you can start to go beyond simple end rhyme (where the last syllable of the last word in each line rhymes with the last syllable of the last word in the next line)

Example:

I'm more contagious than an eighty year old rapist in the latest stages of AIDS, bitch /

This is complex rhyme scheme with lots of interbar rhymes, which helps to make the flow just roll off the tongue like honey. Also, adding dashes (-) instead of spaces between words that should be flowed together helps give people an idea of how its meant to be spoken. When you do this in two (or more) consecutive lines, utilizing the same (or similar) rhyme sounds, these are known as multis.

Example:

I deflect-the-best, take flechettes-to-ya-flesh and leave your stressed-chests in arrest /
Forget-the-vest, you can cower-like-cowards or stand and-get-wrecked like-the-rest //

3.) Shock value and originality.

In a battle, you've gotta get personal. Saying "nigga" or "cracker" can add flavor to a well constructed battle verse, IF its used with discretion. when you say "nigga" or "faggot" eighty million times in the same verse, and repeat the pattern in every other verse, it ceases to mean anything and just makes you look like you have nothing else to say. Also, gun references are played as a motherfucker. There's only so many ways you can say you're gonna bust a cap in someone's bitchass, and they've ALL been done before, by rappers with much more skill.

4.) SPELL CHECK yo' shit before you post.

I can't emphasize this enough. Deliberate misspellings (i.e. slang) can enhance flow ("ya" or "yo" instead of "your", etc.) but when every other word is misspelled, you look like an imbecile. If you don't know how to spell a word properly, look the shit up. Its not that hard.

5.) Stay on topic

If you're battling someone, there's basically two things that the verse should consist of. Either dissing the hell out of the other guy, or bragging about your own skills. Anything else is really just filler. And while I'm talking about filler, that brings me to my next couple points...

6.) Minimize filler

Filler is what is used to transition between one punch and set up for the next one. Whenever possible you want to MINIMIZE filler. These are the stems and seeds of rap, so to speak. Filler is exactly that, its only really there to take up space. If you can reduce the amount of filler in your verses, you can have a much shorter, harder hitting verse.

7.) Punches and wordplay

Wordplay is using the spelling of a word, or how it's pronounced, or common phrases, in order to mean something else. This is excellent for text verses, as they are read, not spoken.

Example:

Kid is a roamer, & I'm bound to mark ya wit harsh hands;
'Cuz getting bayou is far easier than leasing marshlands;

This is a good example of a nice punch with wordplay.

There are a few punches that are so played, no one but the most wack artists would ever use them. If you use a "de-feet" or a "cum back" line, you will get positively sonned. I guarantee it.

Examples:

I'll bust a nut on your spine to see if you cum back /

I'ma cut off your legs just so I can de-feet you /

If you use one of these lines, or anything even remotely resembling these lines, you will without a doubt be anally raped with the lyrical equivalents of splintered telephone poles. Just don't do it. EVER.