RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > Back Stage > Tutorials
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-04, 10:16 PM   #1
Mr.Christensen
Fuck You, I Rhyme Better

Chrit Breaks Down Voting

IP: 7E72 5C46

I've been browsing the battle forums lately and it seems like kids are either completely d/r or really not realizing how to read and compare text battles. I decided to go ahead and break down the categories kids should really be focusing on and how to compare these categories in verses. I dont think RB can elevate if all the good heads that register here get herbed for not having post counts and get frustrated and leave.

So here it is....
The categories most people are voting on these days....

Punches
Flow
Multis
Creativity
Vocab

To understand things you need to make the distinction between text and audio.... they are two completely different styles. Hence flow and multis arent as important in text as creativity isnt as big of a factor in audio. You must think about this efore even moving on to read a verse.

Now onto categories and the importance of each.

Punches
This is the most important asepct of a text battle. This should carry the most weight in a decision of who to vote for. Essentially a kid that came with all multis with a good vocab should never beat the kid with straight punches with some wittiness involved.
Weight on a battle: 30-35%

Flow

People often associate flow with multis anymore which really is not the case. Flow is tha ability to keep a consistent rhyme scheme without detracting from the effectiveness of a verses punches. Also structure should be coupled in with flow as it essentially ties into the same things. Flow should have some bearing to a battle but not as much as punches.
Weight on a battle= 15-20%

Multis

This is the biggest problem in voting today. Multis are essentially worthless unless couple seamlessly into a good punch. Anyone can throw a stream of rhyming words together. Honestly, I dont know why kid even have this as a part of a voting rubric. In cases of a complete tie, this should be a factor but at no other point should it be given any significance.
Weight in a battle= 5%

Creativity

This is another overlooked category that is a cornerstone to text battles. Essentailly every punch a person uses had been done before ,therefore, the ability to flip a concept in a new, witty way is paramount in a text battle. Basically it comes down to the played factor and the "oh shit" factor. This means that if you see a line and you react with an "oh shit" or a "I never thought of flipping it like that" you know you've just read a creative punch. If you read something and have seen it before you know you are in the played category. In conclusion this is an important, overlooked category.
Weight in a battle= 15-20%

Vocab

Like multis, this category has had too much emphasis put on it lately. Vocab really shouldnt be a factor unless used seamlessly in using good punches. I've read many battle over the months where kids have gotten herbed by verses loaded with big words and multis.... this should never be the case. When looking at vocab remember that it should never be looked at alone, instead it should be grouped with how creative and effectively they used words to create the best punches.
Weight in a battle= 5-10%

That does it for most of these voting breakdowns people use. However I am going to add one more category....

Effectiveness
This is where I look at a persons wordplay, personals, etc. to determine how effective they were at working these things into good punches. Its importnant here that these things dont stand out but rather they blend into a well scripted punch. This should be looked at as a relatively important category as it definately plays into the overall enjoyment of a verse.
Weight in a battle= 10-20%

While I'm going through this I will take a battle from frontlines and use this break down.

Verses courtesy of a frontlines battle

Quote:
Remember kids... Record mean shit... Peep the Chiefs...
I got a mean streak and soon you will to... in ya briefs...
You aint shit... never was... let me make shit clear...
This kids fucking garbage.. like his dad did to bring him here...
Punk you aint dope... we all know.... so quit frontin.....
Ya verses always resemble ya custom text... they're there but sayin nothin
Underestimate the new kid... But shit this aint close....
I hope you have metafore's since you'll never see five votes....
Kids lonely... and no naming ya hand to say ya score with a girl...
And if Illness has arrived... Lets hope its terminal...

Quote:
I laught at the rhymes you be spittin, cuz i kno they be pre-writtin
Who you be shittin, Ya shit couldn't be seen twice if it was copy-writtin
I spit bricks like boulders, Ya couldn't be dope if canibus crew on ya shoulders
I rip tha script & undocument ya folders, ya couldn't be hot if ya bathed in Folgers
Ya punches are defenseless, Steppin ta me ya loss is preventless
I'll make ya senseless, Ya done blazed before i finished this sentence
I spit in conviction, My punches hit 1 after another in contradiction

This was ya first cross and ya recieved ya first loss, ya loss shines in gloss
My punches hit in full contact like playin Lacrosse, how do you feel after ya brutal loss

Punches: These go to the first verse... Simply more punches there. Second verse focused on multis while missing true punches.

^^^Lines like this stand out over the multi driven second verse....

Flow: Again this goes to the first. Essentially multis can be used to make a verse flow... but when overly used as in the second verse, it really makes thing seems choppy and forced.

Retaliatory eviction, obivous prediction, losses come to you like a cocaine addiction
^^^Far too focused on the multis

Multies: Obviously goes to the second verse. No need to quote anything for it.

Creativity: Goes to the first verse. Too many witty lines as opposed to a more straightforward second verse.

I again point to this punch.... creative....

Vocab: We'll give it to the second verse for using some more sophisticated words.

Retaliatory eviction, obivous prediction, losses come to you like a cocaine addiction
^^Decent vocab...

Effectiveness: Verse one takes this with a more enjoyable verse. Took many instances of solid wordplay and blended into a decently hard hitting verse.

I hope you have metafore's since you'll never see five votes....
^^^You get the point

Overall the first verse takes this by standing better in the categories that bear the most importance in text battles.

*Note... these verse were only chosen as they were a good example of how frontlines voting is terrible these days. Votes ended at 4 or 5-1 in favor of the second verse.