RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-07, 09:19 PM   #1
tornado220
Light Weight

Text Record: 0-2
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Camron An Idiot

IP: 6196 B4EE

CAMRON AN IDIOT

This is way Hip Hop will remain under attack...

from the Drudge Report:

PLATINUM SELLING RAPPER TELLS '60 MINUTES': WOULDN'T HELP POLICE CATCH EVEN A SERIAL KILLER BECAUSE IT WOULD HURT HIS BUSINESS AND VIOLATE HIS 'CODE OF ETHICS'
Thu Apr 19 2007 12:47:1 ET

Rap star Cam'ron says there's no situation -- including a serial killer living next door -- that would cause him to help police in any way, because to do so would hurt his music sales and violate his "code of ethics." Cam'ron, whose real name is Cameron Giles, talks to Anderson Cooper for a report on how the hip-hop culture's message to shun the police has undermined efforts to solve murders across the country. Cooper's report will be broadcast on 60 MINUTES Sunday, April 22 (7:00-8:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

"If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me?" Giles responds to a hypothetical question posed by Cooper. "I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move," says Giles. "But I'm not going to call and be like, ÔThe serial killer's in 4E.' " ( For an excerpt of Giles' interview, click here

Giles' "code of ethics" also extends to crimes committed against him. After being shot and wounded by gunmen, Giles refused to cooperate with police. Why? "Because...it would definitely hurt my business, and the way I was raised, I just don't do that," says Giles. Pressed by Cooper, who says had he been the victim, he would want his attacker to be caught, Giles explains further: "But then again, you're not going to be on the stage tonight in the middle of, say, Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, with people with gold and platinum teeth and dreadlocks jumping up and down singing your songs, either," says Giles. "We're in two different lines of business."

"So for you, it's really about business?" Cooper asks.

"It's about business," Giles says, "but it's still also a code of ethics."

Rappers appear to be concerned about damaging what's known as their "street credibility," says Geoffrey Canada, an anti-violence advocate and educator from New York City's Harlem neighborhood. "It's one of those things that sells music and no one really quite understands why," says Canada. Their fans look up to artists if they come from the "meanest streets of the urban ghetto," he tells Cooper. For that reason, Canada says, they do not cooperate with the police.

Canada says in the poor New York City neighborhood he grew up in, only the criminals didn't talk to the police, but within today's hip-hop culture, that's changed. "It is now a cultural norm that is being preached in poor communities....It's like you can't be a black person if you have a set of values that say ÔI will not watch a crime happen in my community without getting involved to stop it,'" Canada tells Cooper.

Young people from some of New York's toughest neighborhoods echo Canada's assessment, calling the message not to help police "the rules" and helping the police "a crime" in their neighborhoods. These "rules" are contributing to a much lower percentage of arrests in homicide cases -- a statistic known as the "clearance rate" -- in largely poor, minority neighborhoods throughout the country, according to Prof. David Kennedy of the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. "I work in communities where the clearance rate for homicides has gone into the single digits," says Kennedy. The national rate for homicide clearance is 60 percent. "In these neighborhoods, we are on the verge of -- or maybe we have already lost -- the rule of law," he tells Cooper.

Says Canada, "It's like we're saying to the criminals, ÔYou can have our community....Do anything you want and we will either deal with it ourselves or we'll simply ignore it.' "
Old 04-23-07, 11:23 AM   #2
Young Sin
Flyweight

Text Record: 0-1
IP: 33E3 44D7

Cam did do say some fucked up shit... at tha time.... He might have just killed hip-hop wit sayin that.. plus hip-hop is awready gettin negative attention... fuck Cam fuck Why
Old 04-24-07, 11:20 AM   #3
So.Rell
Mic Jordan

Text Record: 1-0
IP: 4E27 ECD9

Lol Cameron...You're gonna learn how to talk to the media...we like Jimmy better anyway...(Ballin!!)

Get the Fuck out the Ring!
"When the LP Rolls Out..
The Source will be Forced to make the Quotables a Three page Fold Out" - Kno of Cunninlynguists.
Send a message via AIM to So.Rell   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-07, 12:58 PM   #4
Mad Dog
...Belong...

Text Record: 57-16
Audio Record: 8-3
IP: 5604 99A1

that's stupid...so if a serial rapist or a child molester was livng next door to him and he knew about it he wouldn't grass...

you CAN draw the line on some things and not be known as a "Snitch"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Dro
furthermore, june 3rd is the only good day to be born

^ Amen Brother ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆ P E X X
i'm still tryin to figure out how bein born in another country makes somebody fake.

R.I.P OMB

Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-07, 06:13 PM   #5
Cola
Pushin it....

Text Record: 6-1
Audio Record: 1-0
IP: B3FF 83C3

^ word to that shit...

Destroyin Tricks on the Daily

Old 04-25-07, 07:07 AM   #6
WhoAmI
WhoAreYou?

IP: A181 D033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog
that's stupid...so if a serial rapist or a child molester was livng next door to him and he knew about it he wouldn't grass...

you CAN draw the line on some things and not be known as a "Snitch"...

for real....it's basically down to plain old ignorance

people don't wanna say shit but they'll be the first people bawling their eyes out and screaming "WHY" when something happens to someone they love

if they ain't part of the solution....they're part of the problem
Old 04-25-07, 10:54 AM   #7
Young Sin
Flyweight

Text Record: 0-1
IP: 33E3 44D7

^Co-Sign...... wit everything said above me......

And I Do Like Jimmy Better
Old 04-25-07, 05:01 PM   #8
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: EFC1 6520

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado220
CAMRON AN IDIOT

No shit...........
Old 04-30-07, 06:43 PM   #9
Lungz
New to RV

Text Record: 1-1
IP: B03A E57A

If the person raped and killed his daughter and he saw, but police came in before he could personally kill him or some ish, he would "snitch" and that makes him a faggot straight up. Don't "Snitch" for your own benefeit and not for others. It's one thing to say that you didn't see your boy steal the car, it's another to say u didnt see the guy cut 12 peoples heads off....uno..
Send a message via AIM to Lungz   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 01:58 PM   #10
don cardyac
Light Weight

Text Record: 0-3
IP: 8BEF 45EF

i agree. w/emperor xay.

but where i'm at in dc. the police lie like if you tell on someone that does something than the police will tell the criminal and the criminal will get someone to do a hit on you. so its kinda hard to trust anyone because there is no confidentiality anymore. and after times of this happening people start to rather handle problems themselves instead of going to law inforcement. i am a big fan of cam'ron but even i see that he went too far with this comment. that was kinda dumb.