RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > Album Reviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-05, 08:02 PM   #1
Thassarap
.The Movement.

Text Record: 3-3
OutKast- Stankonia

IP: 9C56 DB5A

OutKast- Stankonia

Intro- I don’t like intros, and this one seems even worse than the average intro. But I’d skip it anyway, so it doesn’t really matter.
Rating- N/A (I don’t rate skits, interludes, intros, etc.)

Gasoline Dreams feat. Khujo Goodie- In my mind, this is the best song ever made by OutKast. It’s an amazing way to start an album, and one of the most energetic songs ever. A great beat by Earthtone III(Who produces most of the album), adds to the energy.
Rating- 10/10

I’m Cool (Interlude)- The first of many interludes. For some reason, OutKast loves to load their albums with interludes. This one’s completely pointless, as is with every interlude.

So Fresh, So Clean- There’s nothing special about this idea- a song bragging about how good you are (to quote the hook, "Ain’t nobody dope as me, I’m just so fresh, so clean"). OutKast does a good job of it, though, with a catchy hook and beat, which are probably responsible for making this one of the album’s singles. Andre 3000 bridge at the end messes up the song’s flow a little bit, which is the only reason why it isn’t a perfect 10.
Rating- 9.5/10

Ms. Jackson- We’ve all heard this one. Another great song, maybe OutKast should have spread out their singles. Andre’s bridge actually helps this song, unlike "So Fresh, So Clean."
Rating- 10/10

Snappin’ and Trappin’ feat. Killer Mike and J-Sweet- Yet another good track, mostly because of Big Boi’s verses and the hook. Killer Mike has the biggest part in this song, which isn’t necessarily a good think. Andre 3000, who is absent here, would have been a much better choice. J-Sweet’s reggae-style verse at the end is short and unnecessary, and really doesn’t fit here.
Rating- 9/10

D.F. (Interlude)

Spaghetti Junction- This one’s a completely typical OutKast song, which isn’t a bad thing at all. It has a catchy hook and beat, this one by Organized Noise (who produces everything that Earthtone III doesn’t).
Rating 8/10

Kim + Cookie (Interlude)

I’ll Call Before I Come feat. Gangsta Boo and Eco- This song is really weird. It wouldn’t fit in on any album except an OutKast one, but it still isn’t good. Gangsta Boo spits one of the better guest appearances on the album, but Eco’s isn’t nearly as good. The hook gets very annoying after you’ve listened to it a few times.
Rating- 7/10

B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad)- Here’s another of the album’s singles. It’s a good song, with a good beat (Earthtone III), and two of the best verses on the album. Another of OutKast’s trademark annoying endings takes away from this song, too.
Rating- 9/10

Xplosion feat. B-Real- Here’s another average OutKast track, and another bad guest appearance (this one from B-Real). The repetitive hook gets annoying after the first few times.
Rating- 8/10

Good Hair (Interlude)

We Luv Deez Hoez feat. BackBone and Big Gipp- It seems like every album has a song like this, and Stankonia is no exception. An extremely stupid, corny hook doesn’t help.
Rating- 7.5/10

Humble Mumble feat. Erykah Badu- Another really weird song, definitely the worst on the album. It begins with an intro that is annoying enough to jusify the other SKIPPABLE interludes. "Humble as a mumble in the jungle," is the beginning of the hook. Do I need to say anything else?
Rating- 5/10

Drinkin Again (Interlude)

?- This is a short, single-verse song using the played-out "why?" concept.
Rating- N/A (too short, almost counts as an interlude)

Red Velvet- As you may have noticed, Stankonia is really falling off at the end. This song doesn’t help. It’s another pointless song, and a typical OutKast failure (see Humble Mumble).
Rating- 6.5/10

Gangsta Shit feat. Slimm Calhoun, C-Bone, T-Mo Goodie- This one sounds like a Lil’ Jon song on an OutKast beat. Really weird, only because it’s done by OutKast. The hook repeats "Do you really want to know about some gangsta shit?" six times… like I said, Lil’ Jon-esque.
Rating- 7/10

Toilet Tisha- A short, slow, and bad song about a pregnant 14-year old. Not really a song even, most of it is talking.
Rating- N/A (Not enough singing/rapping)

Slum Beautiful feat. Cee-Lo Goodie- Another slow track, but OutKast does this one right. It’s a bit late for the album to get back on track, but at least it does.
Rating- 8.5/10

Pre-Nump (Interlude)

Stankonia (Stanklove) feat. Big Rube and Sleepy Brown- A solid ending to Stankonia, OutKast fiishes the album with another well-executed slow song.
Rating- 8.75/10

Overall- There are nine good songs on Stankonia, which is hardly a bad album (Illmatic only had nine songs, and is considered a classic). Unfortunately, there are almost as many interludes. But interludes are skippable, so they don’t bring down the album too much.
Overall Rating- 9/10
Old 07-18-05, 07:46 AM   #2
Sixth Sense
Banned: For Being So Fly.....lol....my new account is Triple Sixes....

IP: 0D11 88C9

yea nice review agree wit it and i like this album the best from outkast......yea man props for review

STARTING 2MORROW I WILL BE TRIPLE SIXES THATS GON BE MY NEW ACCOUNT SO THATS ME AIGHT CUZ IM SO FLY......LOL
Send a message via MSN to Sixth Sense   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 07:40 AM   #3
Keyweezy
Light Weight

Text Record: 0-1
IP: CF33 35B5

Yeah, this album is tight as hell.

Vs. Stanza 0-2 vote & I'll rtf.
Old 07-29-05, 12:22 AM   #4
Ritzgo
New to RV

Audio Record: 1-3