RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > Album Reviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-05, 12:22 PM   #1
TonyTone
Fuck Parents

Jim Jones-Harlem: Diary of a Summer

IP: 00E4 CAB9

This is the one from rb by Kraven Moorhead

Well here we have the sophmore debut from Jim Jones with
HARLEM:diary of a summer
a sophmore release can make or break an artist and with Jim Jones I find this CD to sub par (Nothing like his first cd "On my way to church") but still well put together none-the-less and has a decent amount of guest apperances (From the regular dipset crew Juelz Santana,JR Writer,Jha Jha) to other artist (P.Diddy,Paul Wall,Fatal Hussein,etc)
now lets get on to the CD itself

now lets talk about the cover for a second (Yes..the cover of the CD this might be a big taboo to do a reveiw on the actual CD but I thought this needed to be looked at) Now..I assume this cover is suppose to be about his track "Summer in Miami" or something...but the title of the cd is Harlem:diary of a summer....why the hell is this picture of him in miami??
I was expecting some gangsta inner city cover or something,but this just caught me off guard...

now on to the tracks of the Harlemiary of a summer
1. My Diary - (featuring Denise Weeks):here we have the opening track My Diary ft.Denise Weeks.The beat on this track is nice,its kinda soothing and has a unique sound to it,but decent for an opening track.Jim Jones comes sub par...not an amazing opener for Jim Jones,denise weeks comes with a well done chorus (as usual note: Jim Jones ft. Denise Weeks-Livin life as a rider).over all not an amazing track,but decent for the opening to a cd..but thats all it is 5/10

2.Zeke Interlude:Freeky Zeeky talks from jail about how hes going crazy and how when he gets out he wants a car and stuff...basic ZEKE album cameo

3.G's Up - (featuring Cam'Ron/Max B):this is the first single from the album G's up Max B makes his apperance on this doing the chorus Max B has a half assed verse...his flow is weird but sticks to the beat,Jim Jones outshines him on this Max B should have just stuck to doing the chorus,the beat is a piano loop beat with a drum on it,like My Diary Jim Jones moves away from using a "gangster" beat like he normally does (and his voice sounds better with).Decent none-the-less 6/10

4. J.I.M.M.Y. :This track is Jim Jones "S.A.N.T.A.N.A" ,FINALLY a tight beat,the beat is catchy along with the "chipmunkish" chorus "Jimmy......Jimmy....Jimmy Jones".Jim Jones comes with a semi-on flow and raps with a faster pace than he normally does,he has his decent,Gangster,gun,top down coop,lyrics.But the beat is tight and adds a club feel to it making his lyrics appropiate.good track overall,really picks the album off its slow pace 8/10

5.What Is This:Jim Jones track from Diplomats:More than music VOL.1 shows up here,the beat is a low semi fast normal diplomats gangsta beat,I never liked this track that much cause of Jim Jones flow to this beat,he completely changes his style and everything to match up with the beat,he has decent parts like the 3rd verse where it works pretty well
but overall this is a weak track 5/10

6.Honey Dip - (featuring Juelz Santana/JR Writer/Latif):This has to be one of my favorite tracks on here,the beat is great and Latif sings the chorus really well,Jim Jones verse is so-so its on the beat and has decent lines,J.R. Writer comes good and outshines Jim Jones (Like J.R. does normally on tracks lately),WOW Juelz Santana actually outshines Jim Jones and picks up J.R. Writers left over heat....
good track 8/10

7.Ride Wit' me - (featuring Juelz Santana):Great beat here,Juelz Santana puts the beat to good use with his flow actually meeting this beats standards,he has some weird lines but does good,Jim Jones makes up for Honey Dip by outshining Juelz and having better lyrics and hits the beat perfectly for the track 7/10

8.Penetentiary Chance - (featuring Hell Rell).another good Beat with "Penetentiary Chance" Hell Rell makes his apparence with an overall good verse,for dropping an album soon he needs to make a name for himself but Jim Jones basically cuts his verse off in the middle and kills it
love this track 8/10

9.We Just Ballin' - (featuring T.K.):Wtf at this beat? this is a poor attempt at a club/gangsta beat.Away from the beat, T.K. comes hard with her verse and shares the chorus with Jim Jones.Jim Jones comes with about as hard a verse as she did,good track despite the shitty beat
7/10

10.What You Been Drankin On? - (featuring Jha' Jha,P.Diddy,Paul Wall):the beat here is gangster as hell,(typical dipset-Jim Jones beat..) The people chose to be on this track is weird as hell..I understand Jha Jha...but Paul Wall and P.Diddy??????? I can picture Jim Jones "Hmmm who do we need to pick up the lyrical weight on this album.....PAUL WALL" *cam'ron and Juelz nod in agreement* "lets add P.Diddy I heard his career might be dying a dipset album will help him out!"
Jha Jha does the chorus pretty well with her "What you been drankin on" and her verse isn't that bad (Shes got alot better since Diplomatic immunity 2).Diddy comes with a good verse (weird I haven't heard him rap in so long....and he shows up at the most random time on a Jim Jones CD).
Jim Jones actually meets Diddy's standards by actually being on his level verse wise.... . Paul Wall.....just..no..im not going to comment...
good track (outside paul wall not fitting with the beat or anything)
9/10 (cause of Paul Wall)

11.Harlem:I dunno but I actually like this track,the repeating "Harlem" in the background is kinda creepy cause of the voice.But I love the beat here and Jim Jones is good on this track with him describing where hes from and works so well with this beat.
pretty much one of the best tracks on this album
10/10

12.Confront Ya Babe - (featuring Max B,Cardan):Wooo another great beat
Max B has the weirdest ass voice for the way the chorus sounds...its catchy though after hearing it a bit
Max B makes up for his shit in "G's Up" by being pretty tight here (its actually kinda cool....). Jim Jones comes hard here with the beat and his flow and lyric wise for his usual stuff.
Cardan (who?) does good with his verse (maybe outshining Jimmy) his voice is good and goes well with the beat
the album is looking good so far with the way the beats are and guest apparences so far
nice track 8/10

13.Summer With Miami - (featuring Trey Songs):Ah Jim Jones 2nd single Summer with Miami the beat here is pretty beachy and soothing
not your usual Jim Jones (whats he trying to do with his singles????)
im sure we all have heard this,but Trey Songs has a good chorus and Jim Jones is...Jim Jones
7/10

14.In Love Wit A Thug - (featuring Denise Weeks):Yes another track with Denise Weeks on it doing the chorus to a good beat.
Jim Jones does a good job here with his lyrics and flow and actually meets the theme of the song....(a girl in love with a thug...I assume the thug is Jim Jones.... ) basically Jim Jones is cheating on his wife or something with another woman...but who cares Deniese Weeks does a good chorus (Not amazing..she has these weird pauses..)
7/10

15.Tupac Joint - (featuring Fatal Hussein & 40 Cal):I like this beat..but it reminds me to much of Ride wit' Me..........I dont know how this is a "Tupac Joint"..outside Fatal being on it.Its not a beat Tupac would use....
it doesn't really talk about Tupac (Fatal does)...its about the streets being in his blood and stuff...
Jim Jones has a really good verse here..puts the beat to good use with his lyrics (talks about guns and crack and the streets....)
Fatal Hussain comes really good..no better than Jim Jones's verse but has some choice stuff
40 Cal comes really good (why he isn't mentioned on the back of the CD i dunno)

16.Baby Girl - (featuring Max B)wow.......Max B does the chorus...(It sounds like hes saying "Dip Shit" though ) its decent...not as good as his other shit...but whatever
Jim Jones ends this CD well with this track....
the beat isn't amazing..the CD kinda goes back to the begining beats with the way it sounds
but over all good way to end the CD with the phrase
"Nigga this Jim Jones".
8/10

Over all
Decent CD
not as good as On my way to church,but has decent guest apperances and Jim Jones shines on alot of tracks
and as usual he has some good beats,but no where near his usual stuff
this wasn't the best he chould put out =/ not amazingly dissapointing the cd was good but Jim Jones didn't come as good as he has shown he can

I only reccomend this to people who are big Dipset fans
or if you liked Dipset:More than music VOL.1 you'll like this cd im sure

....for life
Send a message via AIM to TonyTone   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 11:53 PM   #2
M Eazy
Put Yo Money On Me

IP: 3A9D 4267

Yea, this album is hard. I only skip 2 tracks. Honey Dip is tha best to me, and Penitary Chance is hard. Hell Rell rip. "...2 things I never seen, a UFO and a bitch I need..." But, I liked this album. Listened to it one day while playing madden, then been listening to it every since. I don't like Summer wit Miami too much, but the first track deserved a lot more rating to it. I think alot of people are sleeping on this album, and Jim Jones himself. I be promoting his album everywhere I go. I didn't like Jim til I heard this album. Juelz is tha greatest though!
Old 09-24-05, 01:18 PM   #3
MC WiSe
New to RV

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 41C4 6A25

wackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Send a message via MSN to MC WiSe   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-05, 02:46 PM   #4
B.I.G.
B.I.G.

Text Record: 3-3
IP: 7D8B DD8E

sounds bad............ lol

Bizzacckkk
Old 09-26-05, 12:56 AM   #5
Blay'all

Audio Record: 1-1
IP: 5467 E2B2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC WiSe
wackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

u know u got dude in ur sig, right?

★ G ☆ U ★ N ☆ N ★ E ☆ R ★

Old 09-26-05, 01:45 AM   #6
Zone Out
Power Hungry

Audio Record: 5-1
IP: EF6B 3EE3

the cd is dope
trust me
TRUST ME
The only song im not really feelin is in love with a thug
and we just ballin
all the other tracks are dope
"and for the rims...put my face on the rims"
lmao, that nigga silly..

Rap Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe
If you do kegel excercises, you would be able to do something similar without having to hold your tip shut with your hand. After you've been doing them, hold off ejaculating as long as you can to really let the pressure build and then aim for your girlfriend's eye and let 'er rip.. You might get lucky and shoot her eye out. That's probably exaggerating it a bit, but it will still be hilarious
Send a message via AIM to Zone Out   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-05, 07:44 AM   #7
TonyTone
Fuck Parents

IP: 00E4 CAB9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAY
u know u got dude in ur sig, right?

roflmaololmaorofl
Wise/BANNED

....for life
Send a message via AIM to TonyTone   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 10:33 PM   #8
str8 up rap
New to RV

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 7241 32B5

jim jones is the man.....his cd was hot....i was feeling that summer of miami joint
Old 10-02-05, 07:39 AM   #9
Seb-A-Lev
Fly As Fuk

IP: CDAA 2D0A

Yea that summer wit miami joint was bumpin fa reel.
Old 10-02-05, 08:55 AM   #10
..Decree..
The Rulers Back

IP: CDAA 2D0A

Was Aiight.....
Send a message via AIM to ..Decree..   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 02:24 PM   #11
AssasSINation
The Truest TRUTH

IP: 0D11 88C9

yeah this is a good album jus hurrd it too......

[CENTER]
Send a message via MSN to AssasSINation   Reply With Quote