RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-07, 02:00 PM   #16
Appocolyptik
Beginning Your Ending

IP: E4B5 7215

It depends on what kind of book you are writing to how easily you'll get published. A lot of you seem intent on being published in the fantasy genre, which is, at the moment, one of the most difficult genres to get published min because of the immense competition.

There are a lot of incredibly talented writers who go unnoticed for years even though they are published, then for some reason receive a huge boost of popularity and make money.

Some authors strike incredibly lucky by writing a book which is ok at best, spung at worst, but has a very original and challenging concept which makes them sell millions and millions and become rich. Dan Drown is probably the best example of this with his novel 'The Da Vinci Code.' The book started off brilliantly but once they left the museum it seemed to lose conviction and drive and the plot became ludicrous.

It's not all about skill, a lot of it is actually luck but if you are a great writer you have much more chance of being published than a shite writer with a good concept. But having an original concept is extremely important as no one wants to read a re writing of Lord of the Rings over and over again and most fantasy tales involve dastardly evil villains and utterly heroic golden hearted heros. In my opinion the fantasy works are those with balanced characters, who are comprised of shades of gray, and not of black or white.

I'm going to try and take several writing courses before I start writing my book, because I know my concept hasn't been done successfully many times before and if I write it as I know I can then I stand a strong chance of making it successful.
Send a message via AIM to Appocolyptik Send a message via MSN to Appocolyptik   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 03:40 PM   #17
Dabatos
C.hristopher S.ean D.abatos

IP: DA7F 8C81

word.. Im trying to write a book jst for fun.. not to get it published.. it would be nice but i just wanna do it cuz writting is fun. I use to write songs n post em here on RV constantly but now I dont have the time and just dont feel it as fun to write music as I use to. Topicals I actually found more fun to write than songs at times because on topicals u dont have to flow with the beat or etc.. topicals depend on how good the you can have the reader imagine ur writting as he reads it. But now I guess since i write almost everyday I just decied to write a story. Dont really have a goal on how many pages but for sure more than 300 pages. And im not even rushing at it. Yea imma be dedicated to it but with my busy life i cant be too dedicated. So far I've wrote about 20 names of characters.. which are not the final names, they are just names im thinking of that could possibly be the characters. Than the plot, land, fighting, etc.. are things that just come up. Im just writting an intro right now and it came out pretty good. not to shabby I'd say but not the best.. Just to see how my writting abilities are and so on. im thinkin of making this book within 3 yrs atleast.. hopefully 2.. but if u rush it it wont come out good. if you take ur time than the book will come out better than as if you rushed it.

www.FG-Servers.com

Send a message via AIM to Dabatos   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 04:35 PM   #18
Blackmage
Is F'in Bored

Text Record: 8-12
Audio Record: 5-5
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: CE53 B16B

No book but i've been working on an rpg for about 4 years now, very in depth script and detailed explanation of the cinematics. It's a 2 person story you can choose to be the guy or the girl and they intertwine deeply. Dope as fuck.

Knowledge is Power, Stop being Weak

The Legend of Blackmage
Featuring such heads as...Tha Q, 9th degree, Enygma,The green team, Big J and probably you! SO DON'T SLEEP!

Coming soon to a soundclick near you...

........Shit.....Nigga.......
Old 01-28-07, 03:55 PM   #19
King Solo
Skadoosh!

IP: 5338 849F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabatos
word.. Im trying to write a book jst for fun.. not to get it published.. it would be nice but i just wanna do it cuz writting is fun. I use to write songs n post em here on RV constantly but now I dont have the time and just dont feel it as fun to write music as I use to. Topicals I actually found more fun to write than songs at times because on topicals u dont have to flow with the beat or etc.. topicals depend on how good the you can have the reader imagine ur writting as he reads it. But now I guess since i write almost everyday I just decied to write a story. Dont really have a goal on how many pages but for sure more than 300 pages. And im not even rushing at it. Yea imma be dedicated to it but with my busy life i cant be too dedicated. So far I've wrote about 20 names of characters.. which are not the final names, they are just names im thinking of that could possibly be the characters. Than the plot, land, fighting, etc.. are things that just come up. Im just writting an intro right now and it came out pretty good. not to shabby I'd say but not the best.. Just to see how my writting abilities are and so on. im thinkin of making this book within 3 yrs atleast.. hopefully 2.. but if u rush it it wont come out good. if you take ur time than the book will come out better than as if you rushed it.

Word man, take your time. I hope to have my first book out this time next year which means I will have to pull some hardcore writing hours. But, if I finish it and read through it and find parts I could alter or remove, or find gaps that would work better with something extra in I will fix it.

If you are trying to write fantasy then you should avoid stories that involve Elfs, Dwarfs, dragons, golden heroic characters with no flaws, pure evil villains... that stuff is all played and won't sell. What sells is gritty realism, tackling world issues in a fantasy world of your making, evil characters who are not so evil, more gray... less black and white, flawed heroes, strong female characters... all this shit sells.

Also, I advise people who attempt to write fantasy to first create their world starting with a basic map. I tried writing without one, improvising on my way and you just end up with too many mistakes. I have a map for my world, finished. I have notes on religion in my world, governments and shit like that. The planning I think is the hardest part, once you've got it down though the writing comes easy.... or at least it does for me.

You can all look for my first book early-mid 2008.
Old 01-28-07, 04:10 PM   #20
Dabatos

IP: E11C 7085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fletcher.
Word man, take your time. I hope to have my first book out this time next year which means I will have to pull some hardcore writing hours. But, if I finish it and read through it and find parts I could alter or remove, or find gaps that would work better with something extra in I will fix it.

If you are trying to write fantasy then you should avoid stories that involve Elfs, Dwarfs, dragons, golden heroic characters with no flaws, pure evil villains... that stuff is all played and won't sell. What sells is gritty realism, tackling world issues in a fantasy world of your making, evil characters who are not so evil, more gray... less black and white, flawed heroes, strong female characters... all this shit sells.

Also, I advise people who attempt to write fantasy to first create their world starting with a basic map. I tried writing without one, improvising on my way and you just end up with too many mistakes. I have a map for my world, finished. I have notes on religion in my world, governments and shit like that. The planning I think is the hardest part, once you've got it down though the writing comes easy.... or at least it does for me.

yea, im doing something like medival times but no elves or stuff.. something with magic ofcourse but something original..all mine.. imma create 50 character names and maybe use all of it so I wont think of any ppl while im writting.. I want everything set before I write the book.. i have an intro i wrote jst for fun.. not really what imma use but just wanted to see what my abilities are as a write after reading 10 books in these 2 months lol.. jst so u know the 8 books I read was Eragon, Eldest, harry potter books 1,2,5,6, and chronciles of narnia books 123 and bout done on the 4th one. I'll try to post what I written so far just for fun.. not really connected to what my real story will be but something i did out of boredom.

www.FG-Servers.com

Last edited by Dabatos : 01-28-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 04:22 PM   #21
Dabatos

IP: E11C 7085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fletcher.

and yea.. just thinkin bout it... imma really try to include world issues u face in this wolrd that they may have to do in that world.. iono if i'll include slavery on peasants or w/e cuz everyone uses it lol. For sure i'll try to add things a few different towns/cities, kingdoms or something. Ill surely include magic but not too much and not too fancy. and for sure the planning is the hardest part.. But I suggest that no one rushes or try "TOO HARD" on planning it because it wont come out as goood as you would like. Like before I wanted my story to begin in a certain way and now I comletely changed the intro and characters life. Just be different and creative. I also Highly suggest not to at all copy anything like lord of the rings, harrky potter, etc.. Everyone does that, and if you come out new it will have a larger chance for grabbing a larger audience.

www.FG-Servers.com

Old 01-28-07, 11:29 PM   #22
-Zone Out-
Still Sick

Text Record: 17-8
IP: 2143 04F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E
Actually, I've written two novels.

Anyway...it takes a lot of patience and time. You don't want to rush anything, because the novel may dissapoint you or dissapoint others.

If you don't have patience, then don't start.

And a year to write a novel is quick by most standards.

what happened to the rest of that story!?!
I've been hooked after readin chapter 1
Send a message via AIM to -Zone Out-   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 11:25 AM   #23
King Solo
Skadoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabatos
and yea.. just thinkin bout it... imma really try to include world issues u face in this wolrd that they may have to do in that world.. iono if i'll include slavery on peasants or w/e cuz everyone uses it lol. For sure i'll try to add things a few different towns/cities, kingdoms or something. Ill surely include magic but not too much and not too fancy. and for sure the planning is the hardest part.. But I suggest that no one rushes or try "TOO HARD" on planning it because it wont come out as goood as you would like. Like before I wanted my story to begin in a certain way and now I comletely changed the intro and characters life. Just be different and creative. I also Highly suggest not to at all copy anything like lord of the rings, harrky potter, etc.. Everyone does that, and if you come out new it will have a larger chance for grabbing a larger audience.

Yeah tackling world issues is a key factor in selling a book I think. Although most people tend to continue on tackling shit like slavery and racism, both big issues, one from the past and the other present... but they've both been done to death. I like tackling smaller issues that a lot of people can relate to, like one off the top of my head that I will include in my story is a troubled, distant relationship between a father and son, how the son never feels like he is good enough.

And word to copying shit, if your story starts to sound a lot like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter... or basically anything you've seen, read or heard of in your life then take a real good look on how you can change it and be original. I know enough people who have wrote books and had people comment on them saying "another tolkien in the making" and they think that is a compliment, but most times the people mean "you've just re-wrote lord of the rings, congrats!"

I honestly think, or it applies to me anyway that when you get to the writing side... starting the story off is always the hardest part. I've started mine off 4 different ways... I've kept them all just so I can go over them at a later date and see which best suits the story.
Old 01-29-07, 05:15 PM   #24
Crazy Hades
Just searching.

IP: 0825 899A

Quote:
starting the story off is always the hardest part. I've started mine off 4 different ways... I've kept them all just so I can go over them at a later date and see which best suits the story.

I'd have to say the middle is...where you're growing a bit stale of your characters and aren't at that point where the climax is coming up. Starting off a story is not difficult. Begin at a part with action, as close as the most important parts of the story as possible. For instance, instead of giving us a normal day in the life of a merchant followed by a stranger arriving at the end of the day, start at the end of the day when the merchant arrives, despite all that research you did.
Old 01-29-07, 06:11 PM   #25
King Solo
Skadoosh!

^ Yeah, I see your point. It may just be me. I have the most trouble starting and ending, the middle is probably my strongest point.
Old 01-30-07, 11:32 PM   #26
Dabatos

IP: DA7F 8C81

yea the intro is difficult but the mid and outro is the hardest thing to do. I thought of 3 different intro's all in my head, and wrote down two, and came to one perfect intro within 3 weeks.. well not the pages n crap jst like an outline. I have an idea of what the main parts will be but i aint gonna put it down to final paper because everyday I end up thinking of something better to add..

My story is going to be somewhere around medival times.. i decieded to have some magic in it but not as much as you see or read in other books. Very little at all. My idea was to have a child that had a father and mother die but not like harry potter. His dad choked to death after a great battle in a after battle party and his mother died in a fire . Though it may sound simple I have alot of hidden parts within those two deaths. Example, the father was actually poisoned by this man that has fancied his wife for years. So he poisoned him to get his wife. When he got his wife he began to cheat on her, and when she found out she decided to leave him but he didnt want anyone else to have her so he killed her and made it look like she accidently burned the house down and was stuck inside leaving her son with this man.. but yea thats just a sample of what I have so far.. that might not even be what imma write about.. took me almost 2 weeks jst to think of this but im taking my time, no rush, I might even put it as if his father went into battle and his body was never found. iono lol

and since this is fantasy, I thought of many ideas to insert before the mid and intro. maybe a dog that could tlak lol iono..

www.FG-Servers.com

Old 02-02-07, 03:03 PM   #27
King Solo
Skadoosh!

Word, sounds vague... but I'm sure you could work it into a dope story.

Mine has multiple storylines that all intertwine with each other and all are pivotal to the entire story. I ain't going to give anything away though because there are word burglars all over just waiting to pounce on a someones ideas.

But, word to my map... the 1st draft basic layout anyway... what I will use to map out my story so I know where I am going with people and shit.

Tolkien can kiss my ass!!
Old 02-02-07, 06:32 PM   #28
L.E
L.E

IP: 1CD4 5A49

That map is dope.

Make me one. I'll even pay you.
Old 02-02-07, 06:50 PM   #29
King Solo
Skadoosh!

A map for what?

Obviously, it couldn't be for something pre-written because I would have to get into your mind to know the kind of layout you are looking for.

Also, if you would want one... would you want an entire world map like all separate continents or whatever... basically something like the map of earth? Or would you like a map of just part of a world, like mine is? And would you like the names of cities, towns and all that shit done, or just a blank map with the geographical side complete?

What are your specifics?
Old 02-02-07, 07:24 PM   #30
L.E
L.E

IP: 1CD4 5A49

I'll draw a rough copy of the map, and then e-mail it to you.

How much do you want?