RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-07, 05:33 PM   #1
Dabatos
C.hristopher S.ean D.abatos

Anyone wrote/tried/or is writting a book?

IP: BBE3 FC09

just wonderin... had this thought in my mind for a while now.. just makin out lines and ideas in a small notebook.. but jst wondering if anyone ever did write a book how long it took to write it? well that dont really matter.. i guess im jst wondering how long it took u to get it published.. cuz getting published is basically like trying to cut a contract with a recording label.

www.FG-Servers.com

Send a message via AIM to Dabatos   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 05:36 PM   #2
Compose

IP: 3776 31BC

L.E. wrote one that i know of, he knows about that kinda shit
I cant buy clothes when the manikins are watchin" -Canibus
Old 01-26-07, 05:39 PM   #3
Dabatos

IP: BBE3 FC09

yea i know i talked 2 him bout it.. took him a year to write it and 2 years to publish it.. lol

www.FG-Servers.com

Old 01-26-07, 05:49 PM   #4
Compose

IP: 3776 31BC

lol dam, mad long
I cant buy clothes when the manikins are watchin" -Canibus
Old 01-26-07, 05:59 PM   #5
WhoAmI
WhoAreYou?

IP: A181 D033

i tried to write once but i got writer's block so the idea kinda fell to the back of my things to do list...i should start writing again and see how it goes this time
Old 01-26-07, 11:56 PM   #6
Cola
Pushin it....

Text Record: 6-1
Audio Record: 1-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 279C 786E

i think nick is....

Destroyin Tricks on the Daily

Old 01-27-07, 01:32 AM   #7
Crazy Hades
Just searching.

IP: 0825 899A

I, the undeniable literary king, am writing a novel that will touch your brain, heart, and eyes with its awesomeness.
Old 01-27-07, 03:53 AM   #8
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: 6BD8 82D6

$10 says you lose inspiration half way through and scrap it.
Old 01-27-07, 09:47 AM   #9
Dabatos

IP: DA7F 8C81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus
$10 says you lose inspiration half way through and scrap it.

lol hahaha.....................

www.FG-Servers.com

Old 01-27-07, 11:08 AM   #10
King Solo
Skadoosh!

IP: 5338 849F

L.E. wrote one as a part of a trilogy/series... I bought it and read it and surprisingly it was decent by my opinion. However, he has told me that he hasn't received any royalty cheques from it in a while, and due to it being Part One and no other parts have been released to date... I am assuming it didn't sell well and so his others could possibly not make it to the shelves in bookstores.

I am writing a 6-part series.... hoping to get published although nothing is certain. I will do my best, and keep trying until I do. However, a point to note is that you have more chances of being published if you have a trilogy/series because they are easier to market and publishing companies don't start to collect the real money from your talent until the 3rd book. That is coming from a friend of mine who IS published. Although, if your first book tanks then they will just cut their losses there and then and refuse to release the next two. Unless of course you can get a contract down and signed that says they will publish 3 of your books.

If you are planning to write and get published, you need some serious planning. Jotting shit down on a notebook is all well and good, but you may find when it comes to writing you will have various plotholes and shit that just don't make sense at all. I spent about 4 months planning my series... shit from land layout, mini story arcs, overall plot, character profiling and research.
Then, if you haven't got the patience to write a real book, not some 68 page piece of garbage then don't even try. Writing a book takes a lot of discipline and patience, you have to be able to deal with the times where you can sit for about 3 hours and only come up with a paragraph.

The easiest way I found to see if you have the patience and discipline is to write fanfiction first. If you can manage to do that, and get a decent length story going then that shows you have the discipline and patience. It also gives you an idea of how good you actually are at writing before you make an attempt at some original work.

I wrote a 15 chapter Resident Evil fanfiction at first, then I wrote a Soul Calibur fanfiction that went on for like 150 chapters. So all in all, I know I have the discipline and I know I have the talent because of all the reviews I got for both works on fanfiction.net. But, I left that site about 2 years ago and I only do original works now which I post on fictionpress.com.

That is the best approach I can think of to writing a book. If you write, post it up on fictionpress and get owned by constant flaming and shit reviews then chances are it will suck in sales if it got published. That isn't always the case, but think... if it gets rave reviews from people all across the world who use that site... its got a good chance of selling well.

My published friend posted his work on that site, and he had already built up a fanbase for his work before getting published. And even though most of the people on that site had already read it, when it did get published they went out and bought it anyway.
Old 01-27-07, 11:12 AM   #11
L.E
L.E

IP: 1CD4 5A49

Actually, I've written two novels.

Anyway...it takes a lot of patience and time. You don't want to rush anything, because the novel may dissapoint you or dissapoint others.

If you don't have patience, then don't start.

And a year to write a novel is quick by most standards.
Old 01-27-07, 11:24 AM   #12
King Solo
Skadoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E
Actually, I've written two novels.

Anyway...it takes a lot of patience and time. You don't want to rush anything, because the novel may dissapoint you or dissapoint others.

If you don't have patience, then don't start.

And a year to write a novel is quick by most standards.

BITCH!! Where is the 2nd one at ??

I have Legend of the Tragic Book One. Where are the fucking rest?

But word to what you said, you do need patience. I aim to finish my first of my 6 part series in a year. I'm thinking a chapter every two weeks. That's like 26 chapters in a year which is around what I am going for. The book will be about 300-400 pages long when its done. As will the other 5 be to.
Old 01-27-07, 11:34 AM   #13
L.E
L.E

IP: 1CD4 5A49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fletcher.
BITCH!! Where is the 2nd one at ??

I have Legend of the Tragic Book One. Where are the fucking rest?

But word to what you said, you do need patience. I aim to finish my first of my 6 part series in a year. I'm thinking a chapter every two weeks. That's like 26 chapters in a year which is around what I am going for. The book will be about 300-400 pages long when its done. As will the other 5 be to.

Lol I started my own publishing company.

When do you want it?
Old 01-27-07, 11:36 AM   #14
King Solo
Skadoosh!

Lol, when I have some money.

I'll let you know.
Old 01-27-07, 01:15 PM   #15
Crazy Hades
Just searching.

IP: 3240 794D

Quote:
However, a point to note is that you have more chances of being published if you have a trilogy/series because they are easier to market and publishing companies don't start to collect the real money from your talent until the 3rd book.

Not true, man. You have more chances of being published with a stand alone novel, but it depends on who you ask. Just because your friend is published doesn't make him an expert. Don't know what the hell you're talking about 'collect the real money from your talent until the 3rd book' either. You get money depending on how well-marketed is and overall how good it is. It's not like you have some magical number and you instantly get noticed at the end of your trilogy. Jonathan Stroud became a bestseller with the first book of his Bartimaeus Trilogy, which was more of his debut than his earlier stand alones because it was the one that really got noticed --- but not because it's a trilogy, because it's good.

Most people don't even start to collect the real money until quite a few books in. The only real reason you would possibly get more money from having three books out is because bookstores are more inclined to stock two copies of three books than six copies of one. Nevertheless there is no code to writing, besides doing it well and doing what you can to get out there.

And not using a vanity publisher or self-publisher. - pats L.E. on the back. -