RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-10, 03:20 PM   #1
Magic5

Has anyone read 'Reasons and Persons' by Derek Parfit?

IP: 51D9 11CF

Namely, chapters 10-13?

This book is having a profound effect on my outlook on life. I'm wondering if anyone else has read it because I'd like to talk about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasons_and_Persons

^ This is the book I'm talking about. I'm most interested right now in Part 3. Wikipedia gives the briefest summary possible and doesn't do the actual arguments and conclusion justice.

Last edited by Mimesis : 10-06-10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 02:14 PM   #2
M&rk
10:23 till i'm 86

Text Record: 32-23
Audio Record: 1-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: A59C EED7

RV needs a book club, haha.
i'll check it out, whats the most clever argument you see?

Big Pic- Whore of the World ( youtube video)

Jesus saves, even from paranoia

myspace.com/marktimothyschafer
my reverbnation.com page
Send a message via AIM to M&rk Send a message via MSN to M&rk   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 02:28 PM   #3
M&rk
10:23 till i'm 86

Text Record: 32-23
IP: A59C EED7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trap_(television_documentary_series)
this 3 part hour each program i watch early this week i think relates things a bit. it talks a lot on theory from the "prisoners dilemma"
its more of a broader aproach to better put things in context i think.

Big Pic- Whore of the World ( youtube video)

Jesus saves, even from paranoia

myspace.com/marktimothyschafer
my reverbnation.com page
Send a message via AIM to M&rk Send a message via MSN to M&rk   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 12:34 AM   #4
Magic5

IP: 5E17 8180

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Morgan
RV needs a book club, haha.
i'll check it out, whats the most clever argument you see?

He uses abstract arguments to make his point. He uses imagined cases to show us that what we think matters actually doesn't. We only think so because we're confused. He says personal identity doesn't matter. If you think persons are souls, you're wrong. And when we think of concepts like selfish v. self-less we're actually not making a coherent distinction because really there is no self.

This book is mind-blowing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Parfit seems to have solid arguments. He just reaches a conclusion that most of us are hesitant to accept.
Old 10-08-10, 12:34 AM   #5
Magic5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Morgan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trap_(television_documentary_series)
this 3 part hour each program i watch early this week i think relates things a bit. it talks a lot on theory from the "prisoners dilemma"
its more of a broader aproach to better put things in context i think.

I'll check it out next week sometime and let you know what I think. Thanks for the reference.
Old 10-08-10, 10:23 PM   #6
JTR
Jack The Ripper

Text Record: 10-1
IP: 6881 5420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimesis
He uses abstract arguments to make his point. He uses imagined cases to show us that what we think matters actually doesn't. We only think so because we're confused. He says personal identity doesn't matter. If you think persons are souls, you're wrong. And when we think of concepts like selfish v. self-less we're actually not making a coherent distinction because really there is no self.

This book is mind-blowing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Parfit seems to have solid arguments. He just reaches a conclusion that most of us are hesitant to accept.

If you want to have your mind-blown and outlook changed, look up Terrence Mckenna seminars on youtube

Or read "The Spirit Molecule" by Dr. Rick Strassman of the University of New Mexico and then continue on with your own research...

you'll realize some pretty crazy shirt
Old 10-09-10, 12:27 AM   #7
Red Bull
Adam

Text Record: 1-0
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: 6E5D FD16

I'll look into it.
Old 10-09-10, 11:47 AM   #8
JTR
Jack The Ripper

Text Record: 10-1
IP: 6881 5420

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR
you'll realize some pretty crazy shirt

lmfao @ crazy shirt. FUCKING CRAZY T-SHIRTS MAAAAAANNNN WWOOOAAAAHHH
Old 10-12-10, 04:32 AM   #9
_Talksic_
Addicted

Text Record: 0-0
IP: E3B2 594F

Quote:

no hate,but read what u just wrote, some philosophy is freakin retarded....
things are not that complicated.if there is no self then how do u exist? and what u think doesnt matter?? so thinking then=knowing=then seeing your wife being murdered doesnt matter? and thats because ur confused? explain?

"the loudest one in the room is the weakest"- frank lucas..
Old 10-12-10, 06:25 AM   #10
Cola
Pushin it....

Text Record: 6-1
IP: D1D6 FDFA

Quote:

if their is no self, what is the purpose of trying to improve one's self by reading this book?

hes making contradicting statments and not establishing a base point. which makes his conculsions not really a ideolgeoy to live by, more of an illusion of ideas which you should try to base your thought process around.

Destroyin Tricks on the Daily

Old 10-12-10, 04:05 PM   #11
Magic5

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Talksic_
no hate,but read what u just wrote, some philosophy is freakin retarded....
things are not that complicated.if there is no self then how do u exist? and what u think doesnt matter?? so thinking then=knowing=then seeing your wife being murdered doesnt matter? and thats because ur confused? explain?

Read the book if you're interested man. I don't know if he's right, but I think his arguments are interesting and at least worth considering. He argues that personal identity, and hence survival, don't matter. I think that's an interesting conclusion because it's contrary to what most of us think. If you're not willing to consider the argument it's no sweat off my back, I just made the thread because I'm still trying to figure out what I think about it and thought I would recommend the book to people interested in this type of shit.

Last edited by Mimesis : 10-12-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 04:09 PM   #12
Magic5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola
if their is no self, what is the purpose of trying to improve one's self by reading this book?

hes making contradicting statments and not establishing a base point. which makes his conculsions not really a ideolgeoy to live by, more of an illusion of ideas which you should try to base your thought process around.

Have you read the book? If so, please explain how he's making contradicting statements. If not, then what the fuck are you talking about? Read the book before you make claims like 'he's not establishing a base point.' It seems obvious to me he does establish many interesting points.

I gave you 1 sentence about the conclusion he reaches and you dudes jump on me trying to show how he's wrong without even reading his arguments. Read his arguments and then tell me where he goes wrong because I'm having a hard time finding a spot where he makes a mistake.
Old 10-12-10, 04:30 PM   #13
Cola
Pushin it....

Text Record: 6-1
IP: D1D6 FDFA

Quote:
Have you read the book? If so, please explain how he's making contradicting statements. If not, then what the fuck are you talking about? Read the book before you make claims like 'he's not establishing a base point.' It seems obvious to me he does establish many interesting points.

I gave you 1 sentence about the conclusion he reaches and you dudes jump on me trying to show how he's wrong without even reading his arguments. Read his arguments and then tell me where he goes wrong because I'm having a hard time finding a spot where he makes a mistake.

well, you need a basic set of rules in order to have a ideolgical way of living to be set upon. right?

im just wondering what his are?

Destroyin Tricks on the Daily

Old 10-12-10, 06:26 PM   #14
_Talksic_
Addicted

Text Record: 0-0
IP: E3B2 594F

Quote:
Read the book if you're interested man. I don't know if he's right, but I think his arguments are interesting and at least worth considering. He argues that personal identity, and hence survival, don't matter. I think that's an interesting conclusion because it's contrary to what most of us think. If you're not willing to consider the argument it's no sweat off my back, I just made the thread because I'm still trying to figure out what I think about it and thought I would recommend the book to people interested in this type of shit.

just from the little bit you posted it doesnt sound like hes right.in all honesty he sounds like a moron, when you figure out what hes saying just post up im always down for an intellectual debate.and am probly not gonna read the book from what you wrote.id rather believe in jesus who kept things for the most part simple besides some of his parables which he later explained.
the bible says, that a man can be wise with worldly wisdom and be a fool in common sense by not knowing jesus.
and a man can not know a thing in the world and know jesus and he is a genius.
i was paraphrasing there, but this guy your listening to doesnt seem to even meet the criteria for being wise in the world from what u wrote. but after u read just post and well talk.

"the loudest one in the room is the weakest"- frank lucas..
Old 10-16-10, 12:49 AM   #15
Magic5

I stopped reading as soon as you brought up Jesus, to be honest. I can't paraphrase his arguments. The book is dense as hell. Everything he says is relevant to the point. Either check it out or don't. I don't care. But don't tell me how wrong he is until you've read his arguments. You just come off looking ignorant.