RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > The Cerebral Approach
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-09, 04:47 PM   #1
Tha Q.
OYD

SAS Mental Endurance Training

IP: 19D7 9C0F

SAS stands for Special Air Services...it's England's equivalent to our Navy Seals...or Army Elite Units...

It's known that these special forces endure some of the most grueling conditions on Earth, but maintain their stability more than common soldiers.

I'm currently reading a book about how elite forces train their minds (and body's) to endure such harsh conditions...And, all I can saw is WOW...

First off, all things equal, if you engage in combat or competition with someone who is your equal, or just slightly inferior or slightly superior, then, it's all who is mentally toughest and has the most desire to conquer...

This book talks about how the brain has something called a "Filing System" which works sort of like a super computer to relate and store information that is perceived by the brain.

In other words, when we experience something, the brain instantly attempts to relate it to something we already know so that it can prepare for the appropriate course of "action"...

If a situation is the same, or very similar to one we've already experienced, then, the brain retrieves the data on how we handled it before...

If something is brand new...then, our brain will attempt to match an experience we've had as close as possible to the new one in order to hash out an action plan...

Thing is...in Combat, the latter could mean the difference between victory and defeat, life or death. We don't have time to make mistakes when our life is on the line...

This is where training comes in...

These Elite forces in essence "fool" the brain into thinking it's already experience devastating situations (such as hostage situations, human carnage and death, intense fighting, etc) by recreating them as realistically as possible, and then training to respond in the correct way. That way, when an elite soldier faces a similar situation, their brain thinks it's a repeat of a situation and they handle it with less combat stress, trauma, and more preparedness.

What I love about this book, and studying war strategies in general, is that it helps me in all aspects of my life...even my golf competitions.

When I face an opponent that is similar to one I've faced before, I am calm, relaxed, but still intense. Victory is only a matter of time.

I love how this book teaches you how to trick your brain into thinking you've successfully achieved something you haven't in reality...but you brain doesn't know the difference.

Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 05:33 PM   #2
_Talksic_
Addicted

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 7202 441D

good shit whats the book called

"the loudest one in the room is the weakest"- frank lucas..
Old 11-04-09, 06:54 PM   #3
Tha Q.
OYD

It's called: The SAS Mental Endurance Handbook by Chris McNab

But...I also recommend the following classics to supplement this reading:

The Art of War - Sun Tzu
On War - Carl Von Clauswitz
The Book of 5 Rings - Musashi
Tao of War - Wang Chen

^Great books on strategy, war, and combat.

Old 11-04-09, 07:16 PM   #4
Dabatos
C.hristopher S.ean D.abatos

IP: F499 B9F8

yeah mental endurance is crazy important. When I was training with the marines they taught me so much about how important your mental strength is to your physical strength. Because of the training I learned, I was able to out run, and out do a lot of people in any physical training because I was able to teach my mind to ignore pain a lot more than I would in the past.

www.FG-Servers.com

Send a message via AIM to Dabatos   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 08:57 PM   #5
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabatos
yeah mental endurance is crazy important. When I was training with the marines they taught me so much about how important your mental strength is to your physical strength. Because of the training I learned, I was able to out run, and out do a lot of people in any physical training because I was able to teach my mind to ignore pain a lot more than I would in the past.

will serve you well when you're pastoring those thousands of people.

In Jesus name...

Old 11-04-09, 09:10 PM   #6
Dabatos
C.hristopher S.ean D.abatos

IP: F499 B9F8

word bro!!! thats still years from now though . But I wouldn't say thousands. I feel He really wants me to do big in the future while I serve him. Lets go from thousands to tens of thousands, or if its his will even more!! But yeah, i only know so much, ill be prolly more than 10 years till I learn enough to minister as a Pastor. But dude I can't wait man!

www.FG-Servers.com

Last edited by Dabatos : 11-04-09 at 09:15 PM.
Send a message via AIM to Dabatos   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 09:21 PM   #7
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabatos
word bro!!! thats still years from now though . But I wouldn't say thousands. I feel He really wants me to do big in the future while I serve him. Lets go from thousands to tens of thousands, or if its his will even more!! But yeah, i only know so much, ill be prolly more than 10 years till I learn enough to minister as a Pastor. But dude I can't wait man!

well...there are THOUSANDS in tens of thousands aren't there?

In the meantime, keep worshiping God...and seeking his Face...