RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-05, 01:29 PM   #1
Blay'all

Audio Record: 1-1
NBA Dress Code - Racist?

IP: 921F 74EB

okay, so in case you havent heard, the NBA just started a new dress code... no white tee's, jerseys, chains, or sunglasses on the way too or from games, practices or appearences... a pair of slacks and business-like attire, such as a suit, is mandatory

Now, some people are saying that this is a ploy against the hip-hop culture and others have even gone as far as to say that it is racist. The other side of the issue is that the players are employees, and most workplaces have dress codes..... but I dunno, it seems kinda dumb to me that ALLL of these guys are the ones with talent doing their thing and then some rich white owners are trying to sit up in their press box telling them how to dress.

★ G ☆ U ★ N ☆ N ★ E ☆ R ★

Old 10-19-05, 01:33 PM   #2
Magic5

IP: 6EB9 28C9

Lmao. Dressing professionally is racist?

Stop pulling the race card with every fucking thing. It's not a big deal, and in no way, shape, or form is dressing formal racist.

Fucking Jesus.
Old 10-19-05, 01:35 PM   #3
Blay'all

wooooooooah, this shit was on ESPN

IM not pulling anything

unless you were referring to the general people making that argument
I just presented to RV what I saw on TV, it had the exact same title as this thread on ESPN

and the reason they are saying it is racist is because it is against hip-hop culture, and most of the people inside hip-hop culture AND inside the NBA are, in fact, black.

Old 10-19-05, 01:35 PM   #4
Viva
Cuz I'm Old Skool Baby

Text Record: 5-1
IP: 042E 9E4C

yes. everything in this world is rascist especially if its against 'black culture'

I'm white so u KNOW i can't rap =)

I will definitely RTF if u leave a link, thanks!
Old 10-19-05, 01:39 PM   #5
Vango
RV SPOTLIGHT, GET AT ME!

IP: DAB8 745E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimesis
Lmao. Dressing professionally is racist?

Stop pulling the race card with every fucking thing. It's not a big deal, and in no way, shape, or form is dressing formal racist.

Fucking Jesus.

Not its not racist it's just culturally biased. Meaning they are targeting the hip hop culture, which is ironic because the NBA has made millions of dollars of marketing embracing this and now they say no chains, no throwbacks. I don't have a problem with the dress codes, but saying no chains over clothes and shit is taking a bit to the extreme.

I had to get a new couch, but as you can see the fun continues!
A.I.
Old 10-19-05, 01:40 PM   #6
Blay'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vango
Not its not racist it's just culturally biased. Meaning they are targeting the hip hop culture, which is ironic because the NBA has made millions of dollars of marketing embracing this and now they say no chains, no throwbacks. I don't have a problem with the dress codes, but saying no chains over clothes and shit is taking a bit to the extreme.

yes, exactly

just like clubs exploit the hip-hop culture to make their money, play all hip-hop music, then have a sign outside that nobody can get in wearing plain white tees or flat brimmed hats. rediculous.

Old 10-19-05, 01:40 PM   #7
Magic5

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-NOC
wooooooooah, this shit was on ESPN

IM not pulling anything

unless you were referring to the general people making that argument
I just presented to RV what I saw on TV, it had the exact same title as this thread on ESPN

and the reason they are saying it is racist is because it is against hip-hop culture, and most of the people inside hip-hop culture AND inside the NBA are, in fact, black.

How is it against the hip hop culture? I don't know if you've ever been in a business environment, but coming in with "chains" and saggy pants and shit isn't professional.

It's not against hip hop, that's not what it's about. It's not like they're making NBA players throw out their hip hop clothes and replace them with suits. They can still wear that shit in the offseason, informal situations, etc.
Old 10-19-05, 01:43 PM   #8
Magic5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vango

Is it a little extreme? Probably.

So what? Do "chains" really serve a gigantic purpose in the hip hop culture? They still allow them to listen to rap, rap, etc. It's just their clothes, and if youc an't embrace the hip hop culture without all that shit, then you're an idiot.
Old 10-19-05, 01:45 PM   #10
Blay'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimesis
How is it against the hip hop culture? I don't know if you've ever been in a business environment, but coming in with "chains" and saggy pants and shit isn't professional.

It's not against hip hop, that's not what it's about. It's not like they're making NBA players throw out their hip hop clothes and replace them with suits. They can still wear that shit in the offseason, informal situations, etc.

did you read the second part of my original post?
thats exactly what i said the other side of the argument was....

but in my opinion, like vango said the NBA makes money off of and markets the hip-hop culture, its not like other normal "businesses" and its unfair to compare it to one in this situation....

Last edited by I-NOC : 10-19-05 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-19-05, 01:45 PM   #11
Viva
Cuz I'm Old Skool Baby

Text Record: 5-1
IP: 042E 9E4C

yes.........yes they are@efecx

I'm white so u KNOW i can't rap =)

I will definitely RTF if u leave a link, thanks!
Old 10-19-05, 01:46 PM   #12
Magic5

Quote:
yes, exactly

just like clubs exploit the hip-hop culture to make their money, play all hip-hop music, then have a sign outside that nobody can get in wearing plain white tees or flat brimmed hats. rediculous.

You guys are so fucking retarded. White tees and flat brimmed hats don't do shit for the hip hop culture. It's fucking clothes. Is it really that hard for you to go into a club without your hat on for one day and not whine like a bitch about it? Seriously, it's not that big of a deal.
Old 10-19-05, 01:46 PM   #13
Blay'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by efecx
lmfao not wearin a kind of clothes is racist

but seriosuyl tia int a big deal all other sports there players have to wear suits on the way n bk from games

wat your fogetin is this aint them kplayin on the corner this is there jobs n thats there uniform....so is mcdonalds racist cause they make there staff wear uniforms???

nooooo, these players wear their uniform when they're on the job
thats when theyre playing, on the court.....

does mcdonalds make people wear a certain clothing when they're LEAVING work? No. If you wanna compare, thats the comparison.....

Old 10-19-05, 01:47 PM   #14
Magic5

Quote:
did you read the second part of my original post?
thats exactly what i said the other side of the argument was....

but in my opinion, like vango said the NBA makes money off of and markets the hip-hop clothing, its not like other normal "businesses" and its unfair to compare it to one in this situation....

How is it unfair? Basketball is their job.
Old 10-19-05, 01:49 PM   #15
Magic5

Quote:
nooooo, these players wear their uniform when they're on the job
thats when theyre playing, on the court.....

does mcdonalds make people wear a certain clothing when they're LEAVING work? No. If you wanna compare, thats the comparison.....

Basketball is a bigger job then McDonalds. Let's get the comparisons going. A lawyer can't just take off his suit once the jury gives the decision. You have to keep that shit on, looking professional all the way out.. and you can't change into a suit when you get into court either. It's a job. Dress professionally.