RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > Album Reviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-06, 05:46 AM   #1
ILL GEE
ILL GRAMMATIX... any other questions?

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 1-1
Graphics Record: 0-0
Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor

IP: 448B E25E

Lupe Fiasco – Food And Liquor

1.Intro – Nothing special here… just a female doing a lil slam poetry… not too emotional or passionate about it… it is what it is.

2. Real –
Beat: A mixture of hip-hop and rock… not a great beat but definitely tolerable. It has plenty of energy in it and the violins are a nice touch.

Hook: Nice and simple with focus on the title word (repetitiveness).

Verses: Not your average hip-hop flow… I like how he just tries to be himself and does what comes from inside. The track ranges on what being real is all about: lust, struggles of life, hustling… he breaks it down nicely… you can really feel it when he changes up the words in the hook after every verse which is a pretty racy thing to do in today’s formulated world of song writing.

3. Just Might Be OK-
Beat: High energy… lots of drumwork…. Got the space sounds in the background which adds a nice touch.

Hook: Niceness… simple… but works lovely

Verses: Lupe does his thing on this with the multi’s and rhyme scheme. It’s all about overcoming problems in our lives.

Fave Line: “’m cool, I don’t foretell best… I ain’t nicest emcee; I ain’t Cornell West… I am Cornell West-side; Chi-Town Gueverra… Malcom X-ercise the demons; gangsta leaning…he traded in his kufi for a new era”

And

“I ain’t a credited institute graduate… I ain’t from Nazareth… my conception wasn’t immaculate… I ain’t master no calculus… a good addition to the rap ambience… I backflipped on the mattress they slept on me on…”

Prolly one of the most played on the cd!

4. Kick, Push-
I know you all heard this one before! Still makes for a good listen… Classic representation of the hip-hop of old and brings the skater world to the forefront for once… even though the skaters been reppin hip-hop for years (peep Roll Bounce and old skool flicks like Breakin’ and Beat Street… or ask anyone from NYC how we used to get down at the neighborhood block parties)

5. I Gotcha-

Beat: Sounds like old school Tribe Called Quest… it’s got a simple piano with a nice bass line in the background… again… nice energy on this

Hook: this is on some Lost Boys shyt right here…lol… right…right…right….right….right… (call and response for all you technical geeks)

Verses:Again… reminds me of Q-tips flow when kats could actually listen to him rhyme… but with a more solid content level that leads from one line to the next

Another solid one for Lupe

6. The Instrumental-

Beat: Takes a second to get into at first… you’re like, what da hell kinda style he gonna do to this crazy shyt?! But Lupe shines on this with the way he flips it.

Hook: I don’t think the hook really connects as well as Lupe hopes but it’s aiight

Verses: I love how he flips this… if you listen you’ll see that he’s talking about kats that get trapped in all the TV bullshyt and how they geet brainwashed and addicted to the tube. He actually seemed to flip the verse like how you would imagine the person he’s describing would actually be thinking… that’s some genius shyt right there.

Overall it’s a good track but I still think the hook needed to be redone

7. He Say She Say-

Beat: This is an altogether banger! From the smooth horns to the smoth as violins and the live sounding drums… crazy

Hook: definitely feeling this hook… shyt is real, fuh real!

Verses: This track is about a mother and father who are separating and how it’s affected the child they have together. Lupe’s not the first one to flip this kinda topic but his is definitely one of the best ones out there!

Easily my most played track!

8. Sunshine-

Beat: I guess Lupe likes da smooth beats…lol… As someone pointed out in a different thread… Lupe has some minor similarities to the Late B.I.G…. this track definitely sounds like a combination of the deceased star and Pharell

Verses: I’ve concluded that his sunshine is no other than hip-hop itself and not an actually shawty… now of course there may be some of you who are thinking about the third verse when he starts talking about numbers…. Try thinking record sales instead of an actual phone number… yeah, Lupe is very abstract with his art which makes him a dangerous dude and is very much as good as everyone says he is.

9. Daydreamin’-

Beat: another smooth one laced with violins and some old school psychedelic flower power shyt… works for Lupe but not recommended for the average hardcore emcee.

Hook: Lovin it… Jill Scott did her thing adlibbing to the obviously sampled hook

Verse: prolly his most simple verses on the whole album as far as the style… he’s got some strange imagery going on that I still need to grasp onto in this one… decent track… may need to grow on you.

10. The Cool-

Beat: ok.. all of the beats are on some smooth shyt so don’t ask… this one is drum heavy though.

Hook: hmmmm… still not sure about how I feel about this… I’ll let y’all figure it out

Verses: this is about the hustler who was doing his thing and it finally caught up to him. Don’t wanna ruin it for those who haven’t heard it but he flips it from the point of view of the hustler…nice concept!

11. Hurt Me Soul-

Beat- Read #10

Hook: this shyt is mad smooth and has a real sing songy feel….but in a cool way! Sounds like sumn Mos Def would do.

Verses: He did his thing on this one. He touches on different subjects from verse to verse and again switches up the hook between verses while keeping the format tight. The kid gotta lot to say so pay attention.

Another heavily played track.

12. Pressure-
Beat: sounds like a Roc La Familia / Kanye beat…high energy. I can hear Beanz and Freeway rocking to this.

Hook: works well with the beat… also has the Pharell feel to it.

Verses: On point… kinda on some “let me put this shyt in perspective for you” type track… features ya boy Jay-Z ( and for those who hate Jay-Z… this will prolly only make ya argument that much stronger) … Jay gave a pretty plain verse here… prolly one of his throw aways… but decent none the less

Cool track but doesn’t really stand out and make you wanna BUY the album… it’s just one of those songs you can listen to without getting overly excited but still bob ya head.

13. American Terrorist-

Beat: Latin feel… nice as hell… one of the best beats constructed on the album

Hook: Dirty! Matthew Santos Kills it and actually makes this track that much more noticeable… nice to see Lupe take chances like this… kinda reminds me of a political hip-hop version of La Isla Bonita (look it up!)…lol

Verses: Lupe airs it all out on this one going from black man to Indian and to how America treats anyone of color (historically speaking)… shyt is deep… another frequent player in the whip!

14. The Emperor’s Soundtrack

Beat: not really feeling it… sumn Jay-z would rock on but I don’t like Lupe on it too much.

Hook: ehhhh… it’s aiight… I guess I feel this way cuz I don’t really like the track too much… it’s boring

Verses: Lupestill shows his consistency but the beat and hook took away from the overall energy of the album. He continues to push his messages through to the listeners here.

Prolly his worst effort… thank jay-z for tryna make a “mini-me” instead of just letting Lupe do his thang!....lol

15. Kick Push 2:

Beat: Dead again… not feeling this beat for a final track

Hook: I guess it’s ok for the beat and the tone of the track

Verses: Lupe made a darker version of the original and tells you about the issues that the skaters are tryna get away from. Dope concept… it’s not that the track is bad… cuz it’s not.. I just wouldn’t have made it my last hurrah… I’d rather go out on an upbeat note and leave kats wondering what I’m gonna do on the next outing… like they say… you’re only as good as your last single! If you go by the first 12 tracks then you’ll know that Lupe has more than enough potential to hold his own in the rap game.

Conclusion: This is definitely the best album I’ve listened to all year… not really any skip over tracks at all… the last 2 are a little pale compared to the other tracks but they are still not all that bad.

Pick it up… it’s worth the money… (depending on where you get your cd’s from!)

CLICK DA SIGGY

"real recognize real but still others remain jaded
believing bullshit accounts of how "so-and-so" made it
there's a formula for gimmick emcees that are over-rated:
wackness created... payola paid it... and radio overplayed it"
Send a message via AIM to ILL GEE Send a message via Yahoo to ILL GEE   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-06, 05:24 PM   #2
M Eazy
Put Yo Money On Me

IP: 8E03 6AFC

Good review...great cd...my favorite song is I Gotcha...second verse he raps about soap and freshness...that's creative..and there's a song on here where he raps about a box...that wsa clean...lupe def. Got skills..big props on this.a definately must have in ur collection...oh..and listen to jayz lyrics on pressure...bananas!
Old 10-13-06, 12:03 AM   #3
Shear Kaughn
Broke as hell

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: 53B1 A5EC

my favorite is American Terrorist
Old 10-13-06, 11:08 AM   #4
M Eazy
Put Yo Money On Me

IP: 8E03 6AFC

How many people these days can rap about boxes?
Old 10-13-06, 11:19 AM   #5
.Ike.
Ike

Audio Record: 3-1
IP: 4838 21BC

ahh man i thought emperors soundtrack was dope as hell...and Kick Push 2.....i loved the story on that one..especially when he talks about the group of kids that he met that loved the original kick push and wanted him to do a video...i love that verse......
Send a message via AIM to .Ike.   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 08:39 PM   #6
Black Dragon
~Spitten Fire~

IP: 48E8 2135

one dope ass album..........
Old 10-14-06, 01:08 AM   #7
$wollzilla™
I Got Money In Tha Bank

IP: 33D9 0FD8

he say, she say
is my favorite
i love it

My Niggas Dont Groove We Jus Bust A Move
N Fuck Bout 4 Bops A Day
We WIldlife Wit it...

www.myspace.com/imthakingpsc
Send a message via AIM to $wollzilla™ Send a message via Yahoo to $wollzilla™   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 10:09 AM   #8
Eastsyde
Light Weight

IP: D3CA A17D

cd is quite possibly the best release in 06 up there with method man
Send a message via AIM to Eastsyde   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 10:56 AM   #9
$wollzilla™
I Got Money In Tha Bank

IP: 33D9 0FD8

haha idk bout the best release
still got project pat and lil scrappy comin
but its a good 1

My Niggas Dont Groove We Jus Bust A Move
N Fuck Bout 4 Bops A Day
We WIldlife Wit it...

www.myspace.com/imthakingpsc
Send a message via AIM to $wollzilla™ Send a message via Yahoo to $wollzilla™   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 01:00 PM   #10
Valiant
Human Crack in The Flesh.

Text Record: 11-3
IP: 0992 DDA2

Tha nigga is a fuckin clown ass bitch...plz believe it...

Join The Dynasty Today

----

THE 300 DYNASTY

Old 10-14-06, 01:01 PM   #11
Valiant
Human Crack in The Flesh.

Text Record: 11-3
IP: 0992 DDA2

let fuck, he's a washed up bitch...nigga fuck s8kting

Join The Dynasty Today

----

THE 300 DYNASTY

Old 10-14-06, 07:55 PM   #12
Te Ora
Light Weight

IP: 5163 CDCF

Game Theory > Food & Liqour

^word up. this is a dope album tho. i perferred the leak over the retail version, but this is still one of the best albums of the year. 'real recognize real' was my shit.. but he left it off the retail.
Old 10-15-06, 07:06 PM   #13
Past Tense
On The Air - COMIN JAN 07

IP: 001C 5107

my fav. song by him so far is Never Lies that shit is fuckin nice

its on the Leaked version of Food & Liquor

ADD ME LETS MAKE SOMETHING
Old 10-15-06, 11:02 PM   #14
Eastsyde
Light Weight

IP: D3CA A17D

if you hate this cd you hate good music.....seriously
Send a message via AIM to Eastsyde   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 11:31 PM   #15
Jay Rose
I don't lose

Audio Record: 7-1
IP: 7994 4630

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Eazy
How many people these days can rap about boxes?

you know that song is about television right?

well i thought about the army
dad said, son you're fucking high
and i thought, yeah there's a first for everything
so i took my old man's advice
three sad semesters
it was only fifteen grand spent in bed
i thought about the army
i dropped out and joined a band instead