RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > The Cerebral Approach
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-06, 12:08 PM   #1
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
Triple split in the road....

IP: F0DD C915

Was having a discussion which I thought I'd bring up here to see if people could add anything interesting... Always good to deviate from the religion bullshit everyone likes to yap on about in this forum...(myself included-_-)

Way I see it, there are 3 different ways a music artist can go after they been making music for years and years....

1) They find their niche and compleatly just fall into a cycle where they have a fan base that expect a certain style of music from them and they leave themselves very little room to grow and elevate from their working formula. Therefore creating music that is often just similar to everything theyve already made and even sometimes becomming redundant..

2) They begin to lose the passion they once had and making music becomes more of a business venture than an artistic form of expression. Which inevidibly creates a situation where they fall off and slowly fade away..

3) They continue learning new things and really begin to understand the stages they go through as a person and how to express it on a song continually learning from their mistakes and elevating, changing their style to move along with the times constantly re-creating their image and making new challenges for themselves...

I dont think I've seen any artist in the industry do anything other than one of these 3 except die...... Its interesting though scaling your faverite rappers realistically and figuring out what they are...

I'd say eminem was a 2....
Tupac was a 3....
Wutang are usually 1's....(cept for some who continually surprise me with new shit)
Non phixion and all them are prolly ones...
Snoops a 2....

Iunno..........What does everyone else recon....
Old 03-05-06, 12:34 PM   #2
Logic The Goonie
I can rap and stuff.

Text Record: 7-1
Audio Record: 3-2
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 94A2 DED2

When I see those categories I saw Canibus for one, Eminem for two and Jay-Z for three. I was going to add a category but you said it was after years and years so it doesn't really fit in. So yeah, you're right, I can't really think of any vet that deviates from one of those three paths more or less.

But to add something, I would say UG heads are far more likely to fall under the one category and mainstream heads are far more likely to fall under the two category. But you prolly already knew that. *shrugs*

Track of the week:
Keith Murray - Nobody Do It Better
I rocked bells with L, SON!

Old 03-05-06, 12:58 PM   #3
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Personally I see Jay Z as a two...

Even though I never really thought much of him in the first place... He def aint getting any better as the years go by as many would agree, most of his good shit was his older stuff...

The number 3 catagory is seriously a one in a hundred type thing I think...
I cant think of many rappers other than pac that really hit that catagory compleatly...

Rakim would have to be a 3 though...............
Old 03-05-06, 01:08 PM   #4
Immense

Text Record: 16-12
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: CBF0 CE1B

maybe pac woulda made a 3 if he wasnt dead...i didnt really see his style change that much...and he was young...maybe he woulda gone the same way as snoop and jay-z?

hes one of my favourite rappers but i wouldnt say hes a 3

although i agree rakim would be...

i think nas could make a 3......or could go completely in the wrong direction....although i think he will proably end up going the 2 way...

I Promise Alot...But I Deliver Alot More...

...Topicals...

SPEKTIKUL GFX
Old 03-05-06, 01:12 PM   #5
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immense
maybe pac woulda made a 3 if he wasnt dead...i didnt really see his style change that much...and he was young...maybe he woulda gone the same way as snoop and jay-z?

hes one of my favourite rappers but i wouldnt say hes a 3

although i agree rakim would be...

i think nas could make a 3......or could go completely in the wrong direction....although i think he will proably end up going the 2 way...

Pac was in the game from 89 to 96...

A 7 year long career isnt a bad run by anyones standards...

He also released loads of cd's and made shitloads of tracks while he was alive.. And if you notice his styles do change and grow as he went on and elevated at making music...

Dude was deffo in the 3 catagory.....
Old 03-05-06, 01:21 PM   #6
Logic The Goonie
I can rap and stuff.

Text Record: 7-1
Audio Record: 3-2
IP: 94A2 DED2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus
Personally I see Jay Z as a two...

Even though I never really thought much of him in the first place... He def aint getting any better as the years go by as many would agree, most of his good shit was his older stuff...

The number 3 catagory is seriously a one in a hundred type thing I think...
I cant think of many rappers other than pac that really hit that catagory compleatly...

Rakim would have to be a 3 though...............

Yeah his better stuff was early on, but for me, it was just cuz he was so young and raw. He's constantly evolving IMO and his style has changed so much. Even if to us he's not getting "better", he created those challenges for himself. Yet at the same time, it has become much more buisness to him. I don't think he really lost the passion though. To me, he's a mix between 2 and 3, but mostly a 3.

I see where you're coming from though.

Track of the week:
Keith Murray - Nobody Do It Better
I rocked bells with L, SON!

Old 03-07-06, 09:44 PM   #7
In-Vision
Out-Spoken

Text Record: 22-1
IP: 676B 9D48

Pac changed with the times...just like every other rapper that raps about whats current...thats not pac changing, thats his material changing...and pac never changed his image, because he never had an image...he was a poet, a rapper, a supporter of misogyny, a supporter of violence, and at the same time..was against those things...pac did what people wanted to hear...and he did that throughout his whole career while he was living..and i don't wanna hear about what was released after his death..because thats completely irrelevant to him...he didn't compile the after death albums, he made songs..and others compiled specific songs on the albums...it's hard to say if 2pac was even truly expressing himself, because every other song contradicts the song before it...it's smart, because than theres something for everyone...not to mention...2pacs first album was damn near released in 92...tupac was doin his thing for about 4 1/2 years...i mean HIS thing.im not talkin about the shit he did with digital underground....and in 4 1/2 years...the last album released before his death was all eyez on me...which is the epitome of pacs multi images that are contradicting

"watch what you watchin...fox keeps feedin' us toxin's..stop sleepin' start thinkin outside of the box and unplug from the matrix doctrine....but watch what you say cause big brother is watchin" - nas - sly fox

The I.H.C.J.S.F.M.T.R.H.P.M.M.W.T.S.M.S.I.T.F.F.W.A.S. O Crew
Send a message via AIM to In-Vision Send a message via MSN to In-Vision Send a message via Yahoo to In-Vision   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 09:53 PM   #8
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

IP: 586B 2294

Tha Lost tapez -- was released in 89.

It contained mostly his own songs and collabs.... That was the first pac album.
Old 03-07-06, 10:34 PM   #9
In-Vision
Out-Spoken

Text Record: 22-1
IP: 676B 9D48

Yeah Good call, still the same deal though

"watch what you watchin...fox keeps feedin' us toxin's..stop sleepin' start thinkin outside of the box and unplug from the matrix doctrine....but watch what you say cause big brother is watchin" - nas - sly fox

The I.H.C.J.S.F.M.T.R.H.P.M.M.W.T.S.M.S.I.T.F.F.W.A.S. O Crew
Send a message via AIM to In-Vision Send a message via MSN to In-Vision Send a message via Yahoo to In-Vision   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 12:26 AM   #10
dazy
what dat be...

IP: 5021 8C8D

theres aways one hit wonders what about them????????????????????
Send a message via AIM to dazy Send a message via MSN to dazy   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 12:44 AM   #11
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

IP: 586B 2294

They aint vets bro..

But I guess on the short term that would fit into catagory two.. As someone who fell off... *shrugs*
Old 03-09-06, 12:45 AM   #12
dazy
what dat be...

IP: 5021 8C8D

o its about vets ok i didnt kno
Send a message via AIM to dazy Send a message via MSN to dazy   Reply With Quote