RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-03, 09:40 PM   #1
Gunman tha Great

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
breaking down the NEAR classics

IP: 598C 77EA

All these were joints that could've been classics if one or two things were added or taking away. to get a classic you need a combination of beats,luck,impeccable rhymes, more luck, talant, and timing so lets begin

Big Pun-Capitol Punishment--lyrical assault at its finest "Dream Shatterer" and "U aint a killa" are the finest gems in this. Only thing missing,rhymes. This album is perfect for 'yo this nigga nice' babble and cypher talks, but the battling rhymes get on overhaul at about the 17th cut. Introspective songs would've put this joint in classic status.

Jay Z-In my lifetime Vol. one---its hard to follow a classic, ecspecially when it isn't received with the kind of respect it deserved.This was jay's problem with this album, the now radio ruler was changing his songs to fit with what radio wanted to hear. "Wishing on a Star" "Streets is watching" "you must love me" and "where i'm from' are the best ones. Throw out "i know what girls like' and 'sunshine' and its a classic

don't feel like finishing this now, next time i'll talk about 'eminem show' 'chronic 2002' big L "big picture" and whatever else i come up with,bye 4 now children go learn your colors
Old 12-30-03, 09:44 PM   #2
DEL the funkee

IP: 3C7D 2F02

Who cares if this and that is a classic or not
You dont need to break this shit down to a fucking science

Just listen to the damn music and shut up
Old 12-30-03, 09:45 PM   #3
Gunman tha Great

i didn't notice u naming your colors my child. raise your hand next time u wish to speak and i'll point to you
Old 12-30-03, 09:49 PM   #4
~RaPiDfIrE~
Light Weight

IP: CB38 DF07

Nas- Stillmatic...that could've been a classic, or hell it may still be considered classic one day..but it had a few wack songs on it...but for the most part the album was pretty satisfying...

Eminem- The Marshall Mathers LP...the only thing that holds that album down are the skit tracks, especially the ICP diss one..it was just annoying to listen to...+ his tracks followed the same pattern and seemed too gimmicky...those were really the only things that kept the album from being perfect...

damn..there's a few others but I'd have to think really hard and I hate doing that...lol + there's a lot of underground albums that I think were almost classics but I doubt anybody would be interested...

peace
Old 12-30-03, 09:52 PM   #5
Gunman tha Great

good list, even though i think 'eminem show' was his best work. marshal mathers lp was annoying
Old 12-30-03, 11:35 PM   #6
Da NFamous
Str8 From CopKilla Queens

Text Record: 0-4
IP: C1DA C961

It Was Written-Dope album overall and like you said, its hard to follow a classic, but Nas's rhyme scheme slowed down and got more profound with fewer words. Stellar productions also helped this album however a track like Nas Is Coming helped establish Nas's place in rap and his persona but it was a weak song. Falls just short of a classic.

The Black Album-Alright, most people already consider this a not classic. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise but i'll point out TBA's high points. The intro is good, it helps setup the album, no complaints, however the following track (December 4th) poorly carries on the momentum. It's a strong song, dont get me wrong however the vibes and sound of the two songs clash. It is clear that the songs are powerful but the track setup is less than classic, a lot of people think that the album should have ended with encore or it should have been a hidden track. A lot of people also feel What More Can I Say should have ended it. Bottom line is the setup kept it from being poor, u shouldnt hate on the versatility though i did dislike justify my thug, 1luv
Send a message via AIM to Da NFamous   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-04, 12:19 PM   #7
D-Dizzle
Ya Mama's Favorite

Text Record: 11-2
IP: 3062 5EFF

Quote:
Originally posted by Da NFamous
It Was Written-Dope album overall and like you said, its hard to follow a classic, but Nas's rhyme scheme slowed down and got more profound with fewer words. Stellar productions also helped this album however a track like Nas Is Coming helped establish Nas's place in rap and his persona but it was a weak song. Falls just short of a classic.

I agree alot of people fronted on IT Was Written when it came out, becasue at the time people wanted Nas to rhyme off the same type beats he did on Illmatic......The production on IWW was more polished and slicker sounding......

Bang On The Table Productions
Old 01-01-04, 01:01 PM   #8
MuhThugga
Middle Weight

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 2DF8 44D6

No Eminem CD is/will be a classic.......
Send a message via AIM to MuhThugga   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-04, 08:47 PM   #9
wogzta

IP: 5C4B 9DFC

Marshall Mathers LP mightve been a classic, but it had a 2 crap songs (Drug Ballad, The Real Slim Shady) and seemed a bit too gimmicky. It also had some annoying skits.

The Eminem Show was too commercial, boring and repetitive. It wasn't interesting like his first two, and his rhymes went worse too. Production was worse too cos of a lack of Dr. Dre. The only thing elevated on The Eminem Show was his flow.

Stillmatic wasnt a classic cos of some bad hooks and one HORRIBLE song. Some of the production was sub-par too.. otherwise it was dope.

Black Album was unorganized, but still dope. Two bad songs as well (Change Clothes, Dirt Off Your Shoulder).
Old 01-01-04, 09:29 PM   #10
~RaPiDfIrE~
Light Weight

IP: CB38 DF07

^ he agrees with everything I said about the MM LP....

the eminem show might be a classic one day..not a near classic...that's why I didn't list that cd...+ it hasn't been out long enough to look back and start considering it for being "classic"...same w/ the Jay Z album..it's only been out for a real short time...

werd.."It was written" was a good album from Nas..I don't know why I didn't think about that one...

peace
Old 01-02-04, 02:39 PM   #11
Da NFamous
Str8 From CopKilla Queens

Text Record: 0-4
IP: 4577 CD9A

Aight im back in this bitch.....
Big L-Lifestylez Ov Da Poor And Dangerous
Aight this is clearly a dope album, the first track Put It On serves as a perfect curtain raiser into this gem it has a hypnotic beat and L's punches are precise. The next track MVP is a mellow follower that is kind of like an anker (sp?) punch that Ali used to use, its a hard hitting track that comes out of nowhere, the beat is also kinda soothing and L drives rusty nails into it. Next is No Endz No Skinz which is a witty song but little else, a catchy but poor hook take away from this track. Track 4 (8 Iz Enough) Is grimey as hell but it isnt really an "almub" but. Basically it is a cypher wit L and some of his boys, a dope ass cypher at that and it is an incredible track as each person to step to the mic brings a different style and all of them rip it. Next is All Black a sunbject that was hot when the album droppped and a creative way of coming at it L goes through some of the men he's killed and other witty things, a decent song but not classic. Following All Black is one of the most acidic tracks on the album, Danger Zone. L is at his poignant best and his punchlines and witty story telling dont get much better than this, another classic track. Next is Street Struck which is probably my favorite track on the album, after an album long tyrade of murders L takes a pause to admit that the life is not all its cracked up to be even though u get drugs girls and guns. An insightful track and definitely classic. Da Graveyard many consider to be this album's shining jewel which features the man who would become the definition of commercial, Shawn Carter. Though it features Jigga its back when he was hood in his prime and to any die hard Jigga fan sad at his departure hearing this song which u've likely never heard before should quench your thirst. The title track again offers L's account on life in Harlem and his tales of bloodshed, not as strong as the others and by now the tales begin to grow old, though always sharp. I Dont Understand It is another gem on the album with a good source of quotables, another great song. Fed Up Wit The Bullshit is a great song that acurately displays harrdship in the hood from things like just making it by everyday to cab drivers, another jewel. Lastly Let Em Have It L is another good track, rounding off a solid album, the only reason this isnt classic is the lack of versatility, maybe putting No Endz No Skinz deeper in the album would have made it feel more diverse but bottom line is that it isnt quite there, easily 4.5 mics if you ask me...1luv.
Send a message via AIM to Da NFamous   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-04, 03:34 PM   #12
Hybrid Echo
Banned

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 002B 997E

This Is A Dumbass Thread

CLOSED
Old 01-06-04, 03:12 PM   #13
Gunman tha Great