RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-05, 12:44 AM   #1
Sik Wit It

Kanye West, Other Artists Meet To Tackle File-Sharing Issues

IP: 258C A279

HOLLYWOOD — As an intern at Island/ Def Jam in the summer of 2003, Matthew Annerino witnessed dozens of coworkers losing their jobs to cutbacks.

While he watched them pack up their offices, he thought about one of his responsibilities in the new media department, monitoring the file-trading Web sites as millions downloaded Island/ Def Jam music for free.

"I just thought that something had to be done," recalled Annerino, a 22-year-old student from Chicago. "People that work at record labels, unless they're at the top, don't make a lot of money anyway. They're doing it because they love music and now they're losing their jobs."

After writing a paper about the experience, Annerino was told the Recording Academy was creating a digital music advisory board of 18- to 24-year-olds. A rigorous national selection process later, he was welcomed onto the board and will participate in its first roundtable discussion Saturday at the Staples Center, where the Grammys will be held the following night.

Check out everything we've got on the Grammys.

Sitting next to Annerino will be 11 other committee members as well as honorary members Kanye West, Mark McGrath, Earth, Wind & Fire and newcomer JD Natasha.

Called the What's the Download Interactive Advisory Board, the collective is named after the research-based public-education campaign the Recording Academy launched a year ago to open up dialogue about downloading, specifically at WhatsTheDownload.com (see "NARAS To Kick Off Pay-For-Play Campaign At Grammy Awards").

"The online discussions are great, but we decided real life would be better," Ron Roecker, the Recording Academy's vice president of communications, said Wednesday. "And it's not a publicity stunt. It's a real board, and on Saturday we plan to lay out our agenda."

The What's the Download Interactive Advisory Board's goals will be to gather feedback from young people about their digital music needs and educate them about the consequences of illegal downloading (such as record label layoffs) and other options.

"And we definitely need to get the labels up to speed on what they should be doing," Annerino said.

Board members will be active contributors to WhatsTheDownload.com as well as "The Download" quarterly e-newsletter and music-related events throughout the year. "We also hope they will be ambassadors of information to music fans in their states," Roecker said.

Some of the board members confessed to having downloaded thousands of songs before changing their opinions on file-trading, according to Roecker.

One member who went years without thinking about the issue was Kanye West. "He didn't think much of it until his record leaked online and thousands were downloading it for free," Roecker said. "It affects SoundScan, it affects their royalties. And now Kanye has said, 'Sign me up. I'll do whatever it takes.' "

"I'm really interested to get his thoughts and ideas," Annerino added. "And he's from Chicago, so that's a bonus."

An hour before the Grammy Awards, check out "MTV News: All Up in the Grammys," which airs on Sunday, February 13, at 7 p.m. ET/PT on MTV. The Grammy Awards show — which features an all-star performance from Bono, Velvet Revolver, Stevie Wonder, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Tim McGraw and Brian Wilson on the Beatles' "Across the Universe" to benefit ongoing tsunami-relief efforts — follows immediately after on CBS at 8 p.m. And stay online with us throughout the night for full coverage.
Old 02-26-05, 09:02 PM   #2
lost_cause
Banned: Cheating

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: A3EA 639E

i don't blame dem in 1 sense but in anotha sense i agree wit da bootleggaz

bootleggaz need 2 hand out sum of dez wack azz albums dey put out; artists dat put out dat g shit is gettin deprived of there just do of dropping that ill shit we look forward 2 buying da album
Old 02-27-05, 03:19 PM   #3
Bangalore

Text Record: 10-1
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: CF4E 8780

why would i pay 15.99 for a cd? when i can jus go download it (i actually buy my music off of itunes) but thats because i can afford it <--that was a dick remark but its true ... they overprice their music because of the bootleggers....so umm think bout it ... snake eats puppy dog eats snake

Free Time...

I Live the Lifestyle You Want to Live

Secret Society/Cut Throat
Old 02-28-05, 06:53 AM   #4
distilled
hullabaloser

Text Record: 5-1
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 33F5 1CD5

Word.

Their doing better at it with kazaa and shit now.

half the files I download wont play.

I have had to resort to actually buying Albums!

Pssh, law these days......

.The Council
Send a message via AIM to distilled Send a message via MSN to distilled Send a message via Yahoo to distilled   Reply With Quote