RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-06, 02:27 PM   #121
schema
howdy

Text Record: 27-10
IP: BCE2 0BB3

this is the part where you start making flawed comparisons and ridiculous assertions to try to swing the argument back into your favor...

2pac was a poet...but he was a rapper-poet...he didnt write poems he wrote rap songs....deep profound rap songs...but also simple and easily understandable rap songs...he rapped for everyday people that struggled and could relate to him...plus he was good at rapping...all aspects of it...good voice good flow good delivery good emotion good rhymes...

canibus writes for...i dunno...he writes ridiculously complicated and hard to understand shit that even his fans admit you have to look up to completely get...he writes poems (not rap songs...POEMS) and then says them angrily over a beat...he is not good at rapping at all...basically the only thing that he has going for him is that he can write shit most people dont understand and in America if we dont understand someone we assume theyre smarter than us...

"Frank White the menacin, chron chron's the medicine....
I got the lettuce and...
...you turn green like cucumber skin
Got the new hummer in the summer when I was a new comer then...
drugs and mac-10's...hugs from fake friends..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog
i'm not attracted to women...
Send a message via AIM to schema   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:52 PM   #122
Compose

IP: B95C 756C

Quote:
Originally Posted by schema
nah...he's a poet that writes dark emo-like poems...

which is fine...

until he starts rasping them over some shit ass beats and tries to call it hip hop...

just because something is hard to understand doesnt mean its special...

1. quote where bis writes 'emo-like poems', i'd like to see you try and do that
2. emo=emotional, ANYBODY that writes ANYTHING even remotely emotional can be considered emo, sad, happy, etc. theyre ALL emo because theyre emotions...the only reason people like you give this title to canibus is because hes underground
3. maybe its hard to understand because you're too stupid to know wtf hes talking about, read a book, open your mind, look up the type of shit he talks about,...then listen to canibus, dmx, ll cool j, rakim, redman<they all like/liked canibus and respect him... now you gonna say theyre all nerds? fuck outa here...smarten up your brain and you may be able to understand him, those 'big' words he uses he knows the meaning of because he doesnt jus insert them in random places his lines make sense, just because you like to shake your ass and jump around like a little girl for women in clubs doesnt mean everyone else wants to do that, everyone has their own taste but you absolutely cant say canibus is wack if you do you're just a hater who's too dumb to understand shit
I cant buy clothes when the manikins are watchin" -Canibus
Old 08-25-06, 04:29 PM   #123
Revenant
New to RV

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: EA2C F3EC

he's not the best cuz he's inconsistent, e.g Fack, that crap where he made fun of Michael Jackson, Ass Like That, Without Me, etc.

Although, that said when he has his moments, they are GOAT.
Old 08-25-06, 05:29 PM   #124
ILL GEE
ILL GRAMMATIX... any other questions?

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 1-1
IP: 142A 9A74

Quote:
Originally Posted by schema
this is the part where you start making flawed comparisons and ridiculous assertions to try to swing the argument back into your favor...

2pac was a poet...but he was a rapper-poet...he didnt write poems he wrote rap songs....deep profound rap songs...but also simple and easily understandable rap songs...he rapped for everyday people that struggled and could relate to him...plus he was good at rapping...all aspects of it...good voice good flow good delivery good emotion good rhymes...

canibus writes for...i dunno...he writes ridiculously complicated and hard to understand shit that even his fans admit you have to look up to completely get...he writes poems (not rap songs...POEMS) and then says them angrily over a beat...he is not good at rapping at all...basically the only thing that he has going for him is that he can write shit most people dont understand and in America if we dont understand someone we assume theyre smarter than us...

ok... look at the two bolded areas and then tell me what's wrong with that statement... either he was a poet or he wasn't... ask any real pac fan... they'll tell you he was a poet... did you even read the rose that grew from concrete?.. most of that shyt is poetry... if you went to a real slam you would understand that the same shyt pac wrote about is the same shyt they do at slams all across the united states... the only difference between what you say pac does and what canibus does is the inflection of the voice... "canibus sounds angry".. ok... he's a battle rapper... that's his comfort zone... he also had toned down tracks that you're forgetting about... he's talked about his birth, getting at a chick on some smooth shyt, and even got a joint called "Here for Free" (chick from 106 and Park)...

Read any book or watch any documentary written about Pac and they all say the same thing... he was a poet... you can't argue with facts... they even have his "POEMS" written throughout various books... so you saying that i'm swaying things to fit what i'm saying is kinda ridiculous... the proof is out there

i'm comparing apples to apples here... Pac was a smart dude... he was into the whole numbers thing... that whole Makaveli album is a prime example of that.... look how many kats learned about Makaveli because of that album... Canibus does the same shyt on that intellectual level and dudes like you start hating on him...

let's be real here... if he did some of them candy ass club songs for a whole album you'd probably be his biggest fan... but the minute someone tries to show you something more than that... and that you can actually learn something... people start getting all crazy like educational shyt is the devil and coming to destroy us all...

KNOWLEDGE is not a disease... I only WISH it was contagious!

CLICK DA SIGGY

"real recognize real but still others remain jaded
believing bullshit accounts of how "so-and-so" made it
there's a formula for gimmick emcees that are over-rated:
wackness created... payola paid it... and radio overplayed it"
Send a message via AIM to ILL GEE Send a message via Yahoo to ILL GEE   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 06:27 PM   #125
In-Vision
Out-Spoken

Text Record: 22-1
IP: 526E C420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compose
common is NOWHERE near eminem, mos def and kweli are better then common...i listen to all of them and have all their albums and shit and imo common is a person i listen to when im bored or in 'his' mood i gotta be in the mood to listen to common, its not like that with eminem cuz he captures almost all of the moods imo, when im mad,sad,happy etc. i can listen to different em songs...common seems like a sissy hippie, not to say hes not dope...but he's just on that love shit all the time and his wordplay is too old school for this generation, chino xl shits on common as far as that goes he shits on anybody when it comes to wordplay imo,

this might be the stupidest thing i've ever read..first thing is first..when it comes to lyrical ability..mos def isn't even in the picture...talib kweli is a good lyricist..but even he doesn't compare to the greatest of lyricists..i love black star..mos and talib seperate..but not for their lyricism..for different reasons...and how the fuck can you say you have all of commons albums...and than turn around and say.."He SEEMS like a sissy hippie"...first off...if you have all his albums..you either think he is..or you don't...he doesn't seem like anything....secondly...i know for a fact you're lying of you turn and say that common is on that love shit all the time..i'm pretty sure all you do is hear common on the radio...and see specific songs...and just decided that he seems like a sissy hippie.....i gurantee you eminem raps more about love than common...it's just rooted in anger...sorry if i'd rather listen to something i can relate too 90% of the time...than i can relate to 20% of the time...i don't have a daughter..i don't have a wife that cheats on me named kim...i don't feel a need to boast about my prejudices...and i don't feel like commiting various acts of violence that would obviously lead to sadistic murder on anyone.......

and i can guarantee you..common, and canibus both...have way more thought provoking songs, than eminem will ever have...

and whoever said canibus writes poetry and doesn't rap..is a fucking idiot..you could make a general ass statement like that to just about everyone...i want you to find the definition of rap..and definition of poetry...and show me how you can justify saying he doesn't rap..and don't ever say some stupid shit like..a lot of his fans have to look shit up to fully understand what he's talking about...do you know a lot of his fans? or you the canibus fan club spokesman? no, you speak for yourself...and maybe a few others..but in no way do you ever speak for an entire group of people...immortal technique is pretty much impossible to fully understand without taking a course in political science...does that make him less of a rapper?

not to mention..you said people assume that canibus is smarter than them...like that's a valid point? anyone who likes an artist because they think they have a higher iq..or are better educated....is a fuckiing retard..and their opinion doesn't matter

"watch what you watchin...fox keeps feedin' us toxin's..stop sleepin' start thinkin outside of the box and unplug from the matrix doctrine....but watch what you say cause big brother is watchin" - nas - sly fox

The I.H.C.J.S.F.M.T.R.H.P.M.M.W.T.S.M.S.I.T.F.F.W.A.S. O Crew
Send a message via AIM to In-Vision Send a message via MSN to In-Vision Send a message via Yahoo to In-Vision   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 08:15 PM   #126
M Eazy
Put Yo Money On Me

IP: 2029 0979

Eminem could never be the best, cause not everyone feels he's tha best. If you geel he's tha best...that's on you...

I personally say Jay-Z is tha best EVER!

And this is a long thread..
Old 08-25-06, 09:07 PM   #127
p4ntzistheish
The story goes. Bill, B.

Text Record: 5-4
IP: 606D F99A

*sigh* I guess I'll add to this. I read about 4 pages and got bored. Anyway I feel what Ys is saying, but with most of his 'garbage' you can blantantly tell it is a joke. Like with 'My Band' it was made in response to critics saying that D12 was only successful because of Em. Now instead of going to the magazines and such, he got them together and made a satirical song playing along with the idea. Or with Ass Like That. He said himself that he used Triumpph because 1,. He punched it at that one award show, and 2, Anythin Triumph said gets laughed at, no matter how offensive or hurtful, because it's a puppet and taken as a joke regardless. So he took Triumph and said the most degrading shit he could about womne, knowing that it'd be taken as a joke. But for every 'stupid' song, there's a Rock Bottom. Or Encore. Or Yellow Brick Road. I like him because he has a humourous side, and a real side. I know I sometimes do a 'stupid' song, but those make me happy. When I'm pissed or whatever I'll throw on a song I recorded about flying monkeys and bananas and I'll say 'What the fuck was I on?' and laugh. Not all hip hop hasto sound 'underground' or have the best lyrics or vocab. As long as it makes the listener feel what the writer felt when they wrote it. Now I don't think Em is the best, partly because there can be no 'best', and because I haven't heard every rapper ever. But in my experiences with Em's songs I think he's great and love his music, even to the point that I got into writing, seeing how people will sometimes take to a nonsense song like 'Real Slim Shady' or 'My Name Is' or something.
Send a message via AIM to p4ntzistheish Send a message via MSN to p4ntzistheish   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 01:36 AM   #128
JTR
Jack The Ripper

Text Record: 10-1
IP: FEE6 7529

He's not the best cuz Immortal Technique is better, and then some others. But he can be one of the best, top.10
Old 08-26-06, 01:24 PM   #129
ILL GEE
ILL GRAMMATIX... any other questions?

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 1-1
IP: 142A 9A74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
this might be the stupidest thing i've ever read..first thing is first..when it comes to lyrical ability..mos def isn't even in the picture...talib kweli is a good lyricist..but even he doesn't compare to the greatest of lyricists..i love black star..mos and talib seperate..but not for their lyricism..for different reasons...and how the fuck can you say you have all of commons albums...and than turn around and say.."He SEEMS like a sissy hippie"...first off...if you have all his albums..you either think he is..or you don't...he doesn't seem like anything....secondly...i know for a fact you're lying of you turn and say that common is on that love shit all the time..i'm pretty sure all you do is hear common on the radio...and see specific songs...and just decided that he seems like a sissy hippie.....i gurantee you eminem raps more about love than common...it's just rooted in anger...sorry if i'd rather listen to something i can relate too 90% of the time...than i can relate to 20% of the time...i don't have a daughter..i don't have a wife that cheats on me named kim...i don't feel a need to boast about my prejudices...and i don't feel like commiting various acts of violence that would obviously lead to sadistic murder on anyone.......

and i can guarantee you..common, and canibus both...have way more thought provoking songs, than eminem will ever have...

and whoever said canibus writes poetry and doesn't rap..is a fucking idiot..you could make a general ass statement like that to just about everyone...i want you to find the definition of rap..and definition of poetry...and show me how you can justify saying he doesn't rap..and don't ever say some stupid shit like..a lot of his fans have to look shit up to fully understand what he's talking about...do you know a lot of his fans? or you the canibus fan club spokesman? no, you speak for yourself...and maybe a few others..but in no way do you ever speak for an entire group of people...immortal technique is pretty much impossible to fully understand without taking a course in political science...does that make him less of a rapper?

not to mention..you said people assume that canibus is smarter than them...like that's a valid point? anyone who likes an artist because they think they have a higher iq..or are better educated....is a fuckiing retard..and their opinion doesn't matter

i agree with most of your post but saying that bolded part is like saying... "anyone who likes an artist just because they can express themselves differently and intelligently and still convey the same message as an underground artist who bases his song on profanities and degeradation is a retard"...

people like things for different reasons... i like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... some one else might like them too... but i may say the jelly makes it better while the other says that peanut butter makes it better... bottom line is... we both like the damn sandwich... so it's pointless to argue over it if both parties is gon' eat the shyt regardless... same with music!

CLICK DA SIGGY

"real recognize real but still others remain jaded
believing bullshit accounts of how "so-and-so" made it
there's a formula for gimmick emcees that are over-rated:
wackness created... payola paid it... and radio overplayed it"
Send a message via AIM to ILL GEE Send a message via Yahoo to ILL GEE   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 01:40 PM   #130
In-Vision
Out-Spoken

IP: C95E 4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.G.
i agree with most of your post but saying that bolded part is like saying... "anyone who likes an artist just because they can express themselves differently and intelligently and still convey the same message as an underground artist who bases his song on profanities and degeradation is a retard"...

people like things for different reasons... i like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... some one else might like them too... but i may say the jelly makes it better while the other says that peanut butter makes it better... bottom line is... we both like the damn sandwich... so it's pointless to argue over it if both parties is gon' eat the shyt regardless... same with music!

okay....you have a valid point..HOWEVER...you are misconstruing what I meant. Basically what I am referring to, is people who hear canibus..or anyone for that matter....and hear a bunch of 25 syllable words strung together..and say hey..this guy is fucking good, because he is obviously smart enough to use bigger words..is what's retarded...i certaintly did not by any means...mean to imply that enjoying an intelligent approach to hip hop...or anything in general...and everything thought provoking, is to only be enjoyed by retards...i'm sorry if you thought that's what i was saying...we're on the same page here...it's just a little misunderstanding...maybe that's my bad

i don't think anyone is a retard for enjoying any kind of music...to me, language is a universal language...and everyone just has different dialects...it's whatever makes most sense to them in their crazy life...and as for peanut butter jelly sandwhiches....i definately preffer jelly sandwhiches or grilled cheese over a peanut butter and j....stay up bro

"watch what you watchin...fox keeps feedin' us toxin's..stop sleepin' start thinkin outside of the box and unplug from the matrix doctrine....but watch what you say cause big brother is watchin" - nas - sly fox

Send a message via AIM to In-Vision Send a message via MSN to In-Vision Send a message via Yahoo to In-Vision   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 04:59 PM   #131
Jay Rose
I don't lose

Audio Record: 7-1
IP: 7994 4630

i personally do think em is the best...simply cuz when he was 'underground' he was loved by the underground....when he made the transition to mainstream he made the transition to mainstream n the mainstream loved him.....(where canibus failed) and hes done most if it with a i dont give a fuck attitude meaning he would make a song just cus he thought of the idea not thinking or caring abuot how people would feel about it...and it still sold.....if you want to make arguments about his skill, go cop the infinate album......then you can shut up and start singing it.....
also i respect him as the greatest becuase he isnt one dimensonal....subject matter first...hes gone from love to sex to killing, to drugs, to politics to anything....few if any others can claim that, i know jay-z cant.....second the rapping......from voices of a girl to anything...triumph, mockin canibus' voice in the can i bitch song...and anything
3rd with emotion....anyone want to come back with me and listen to KIM....my god the rap song with the most emotion in my opinion....you really felt his pain and suffering throughout the song....
hes simply the best because if you put him in any arena of rap, any subject area any style.....he has already been there, and owned it.....
so yep eminem = best

well i thought about the army
dad said, son you're fucking high
and i thought, yeah there's a first for everything
so i took my old man's advice
three sad semesters
it was only fifteen grand spent in bed
i thought about the army
i dropped out and joined a band instead

Old 08-26-06, 05:29 PM   #132
In-Vision
Out-Spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Default
i personally do think em is the best...simply cuz when he was 'underground' he was loved by the underground....when he made the transition to mainstream he made the transition to mainstream n the mainstream loved him.....(where canibus failed) and hes done most if it with a i dont give a fuck attitude meaning he would make a song just cus he thought of the idea not thinking or caring abuot how people would feel about it...and it still sold.....if you want to make arguments about his skill, go cop the infinate album......then you can shut up and start singing it.....
also i respect him as the greatest becuase he isnt one dimensonal....subject matter first...hes gone from love to sex to killing, to drugs, to politics to anything....few if any others can claim that, i know jay-z cant.....second the rapping......from voices of a girl to anything...triumph, mockin canibus' voice in the can i bitch song...and anything
3rd with emotion....anyone want to come back with me and listen to KIM....my god the rap song with the most emotion in my opinion....you really felt his pain and suffering throughout the song....
hes simply the best because if you put him in any arena of rap, any subject area any style.....he has already been there, and owned it.....
so yep eminem = best

i don't think you know anything about music...eminem IS good...but half the reason he's as hyped and as famous as he is..is because he's white..it's his color..."or unless you gon turn my facial tissue into a racial tissue" people would rip on in battles...and he used that to his advantage...and it was something new, because there hadn't been a whole lot of good white battle rappers before that....and he has the i don't give a fuck attitude? yeah right..that's what he wants you to think...if he didn't give a fuck..he would have gotten 2-3 jobs like most people to support the daughter he loves, instead, he stuck with rap.....and did everything he could to get paid..while maintaining some level or originality...people think he didn't give a fuck because of how controversial he was...when yet, THAT is what sold his records..and dre knew it from day 1.........and eminem is good for an emotional rapper.....however...he doesn't have a clue when it comes to politics...and sounds like an ignorant fool in most of his political based songs....he also doesn't have any positive, uplifting type music, which is fine because this isn't christian rap here obviously..but thats another area he's never covered....he hasn't even come close to covering every area...and the areas he has....he hasn't been the best at

Old 08-26-06, 05:34 PM   #133
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Audio Record: 3-0
IP: 7BE2 A0A1

lose yourself rabbit run, sing for the moment, and theres more ways to uplift someone then just saying it, eminems connection isnt for people like you obviously
Old 08-26-06, 08:31 PM   #134
In-Vision
Out-Spoken

lose yourself and rabbit run, even though speaking purely about making it in hip hop...are more fight anthems than anything..and sing for the moment isn't what i consider uplifting...and i guess you're right..eminems connection isn't for people like me....

i like eminem..but to a point...i don't necissarily agree with looking at your situation, and preaching about it with a rage, like you were the only person who went through some shit like that...because a lot of people have been through similair living situations...even me...and i'm not trying to give everyone the finger, and shit on my mom just because she wasn't a good mom...theres more constructive things to talk about, and especially more constructive things to rap about in hip hop......and i'm the type of person to turn a negative into a positive..that's how i've survived...so i guess i like music where i feel people are being constructive, and acknowledging the negative..but not making it a bigger deal than it needs to be, or allowing it to be an excuse for how, or what they've done..or who they've become

Old 08-27-06, 01:20 AM   #135
Young Kidd (LM)
Better THAN You!

Text Record: 4-1
Audio Record: 4-0
IP: 100F 9EB4

I'll just jump in to state my personal opinion.

And That Is.

there are at least 7 Rappers I Put in Front Of Em.

INCLUDING Ludacris.

No Offense. And Don't Hate On Me For This. It's My Opinion.