RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-07, 02:24 AM   #1
Chef Bac
New to RV

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
hip hop facts

IP: 4B31 3D5C

By the United States 2000 Census, three-quarters of the United States' population is white, while one-eighth is black. However, most rappers are black.[15] Some believe this discrepancy is a good thing; popular rapper Kanye West has said: "I hate music where white people are trying to sound black. The white music I like [sounds] white".[16]

Wealth and class are significant issues in hip-hop, a culture which was developed mainly among the lower and lower-middle class blacks of inner-city New York. Any view of money that can be seen in real life can also be seen in the lyrics of rap-- just as there are rappers who often brag about their extravagant wealth, or more specifically, their "rags to riches" stories, there are political militants who decry materialism.

Although most of hip-hop's famous and influential rappers have come from inner-city ghettos[citation needed], hip-hop has always represented a variety of economic backgrounds. Several of hip-hop's founding figures were not from such a background. For example, RUN-DMC, The Beastie Boys, Rakim, Black Sheep, and Kanye West[17] were middle-class when they began rapping.

Race issues often intersect with class issues. Vanilla Ice, a white pop rapper, went so far as to lie about his place of origin, claiming that he came from the inner-city of Miami, Florida, when he was actually from suburban Texas. According to Vanilla Ice, he was encouraged to lie by his record company, to increase their profits.[18]

In juxtaposition to Vanilla Ice stand the Beastie Boys, a rap group composed of white Jewish teenagers. The Beastie Boys didn't lie about their middle-class and suburban upbringing, and managed to sell millions of records while maintaining the respect of the hip-hop community.[citation needed]

The most notable exception to the skin color trend in rappers is Eminem, who is of mainly Scottish descent, who truely grew up in the majority black Detroit. According to the Guinness Book of World Records 2005, Eminem is the highest selling rapper of all time, outselling the late Tupac Shakur, who has had several posthumous albums released.

Despite so many rappers being black, most hip-hop record purchasers tend to be white, reflecting demographics and economics. According to musicologist Arthur Kempton, "Today 70 percent of hip-hop is bought by white kids".[19] Record sale statistics may be misleading, though, because they can't take into account the bootleging, burning, and downloading of hip-hop CDs.

According to political rapper Zion of Zion I, socially conscious hip-hop has a mainly white audience: "...so many Black people don't want to hear it. They want that thug shit." In addition to Zion, several other underground rappers, such as Boots Riley of The Coup, report nearly all-white audiences.[20]

this was a little surprising? but it makes sense...........

link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapping

my myspace music page
http://www.myspace.com/chefbac
Send a message via AIM to Chef Bac   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 07:21 AM   #2
Past Tense
On The Air - COMIN JAN 07

IP: A644 4EFD

for real i like this article

really got me thinking

and i checked out your music to

i like that soulful sound its about time someone from rv had it

hit me up if ya want to do somthing

ADD ME LETS MAKE SOMETHING
Old 01-03-07, 07:35 AM   #3
KOOL COL-B
Tha 1st member of S.W.A

Text Record: 11-0
IP: 5350 A834

what about tha spiccaz? werd

REST IN PEACE MY MUTHAPHUKKIN SPICCA OMB!!!
Old 01-03-07, 08:26 AM   #4
Wordz AhGod
ROFL @ u niggas since '04

Text Record: 26-11
IP: D681 4A91

So ...spanish people never seem to exist in these fucking bullshit ass reports....a fucking mazing...fuck this article yo.

Send a message via AIM to Wordz AhGod Send a message via MSN to Wordz AhGod   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 08:27 AM   #5
Wordz AhGod

..............ohhh...and fuck you for posting this bullshit. Bitch

Send a message via AIM to Wordz AhGod Send a message via MSN to Wordz AhGod   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 10:42 AM   #6
N.Tavarez
the medicine man

Text Record: 43-6
IP: 55F1 3980

^^ i know man like WHAT THE FUCK?!!!

like when hip hop started in the Bronx way back when...they seem to forget alot of these inner city ghetto kids are hispanic
theres more hispanics in the bronx than black people !!!! by far too
hispanics always get overlooked in shit
its always white or black
fuck that shit throw some light to the brown people too bitch
Old 01-03-07, 01:47 PM   #7
Wordz AhGod

mu fuckas made is sound like if nigga like Big pun, Puorta rock, Cubin links, Fat joe ect was never in the fucking building...just a lil black and white world.

Old 01-04-07, 04:54 AM   #8
Chef Bac
New to RV

who the fuck cares you whine-e bitches lol.....its just straight from wikipedia

my myspace music page
Old 01-04-07, 05:06 AM   #9
Wordz AhGod

ohhh....please son, E bitch???? Battle me then if Im a bitch...Text or Audio..just set it up and get murdered either way since Im an E Bitch.

Old 01-04-07, 01:36 PM   #10
Enygma
O.wning Y.ou D.aily

IP: 93D1 7B98

That first paragraph almost drove me to skip past the whole article. Fuck Kanye West. How is there black or white music? Music is music. Can you tell if a black person or white person is playing the violin, guitar, drums, clarinet, etc? No, because music is supposed to be unbiased when it comes to race. Fuckin shit.

But yeah, the rest of the article seemed pretty accurate to me.

PS.....I've hated Kanye West ever since he started rapping instead of just sticking to beat making
Old 01-04-07, 01:49 PM   #11
Sir Smash'Alot
Middle Weight

Text Record: 3-0
Audio Record: 1-2
IP: 4B28 DEAE

I love Kanye's music, hes just racist as shit

He has wordplay if you can catch it on College Dropout

He said "Mayonnaise colored benz, I push a miracle whip"

Sir Smash'Alot aka Third Eye
Send a message via AIM to Sir Smash'Alot   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 02:56 PM   #12
Chef Bac
New to RV

InDeath....text battles are gay as phucc... and i dont have the time to waste to record some audio battle you'd prolly jerk off to for the chance to battle

my myspace music page
Old 01-04-07, 03:22 PM   #13
jay
Flyweight

IP: B738 556A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygma
That first paragraph almost drove me to skip past the whole article. Fuck Kanye West. How is there black or white music? Music is music. Can you tell if a black person or white person is playing the violin, guitar, drums, clarinet, etc? No, because music is supposed to be unbiased when it comes to race. Fuckin shit.

But yeah, the rest of the article seemed pretty accurate to me.

PS.....I've hated Kanye West ever since he started rapping instead of just sticking to beat making

he was oviously talkin bout voices

n kanye west is a legend he is the only person in the rap game sellin big who doesnt make his money, sales etc talkin bout how hard he is or how much money he has. he is the only person sellin big who puts motivation and trys to make a differ4ence in the world from his lyrics

any1 who hates kanye are people who hav never lsitened ot entire kanye album n actually listened to the lyrics word for word
Old 01-04-07, 03:22 PM   #14
Wordz AhGod

should I post the reasons why text battles are gay to you???all I have to do is post one of your verses that Ive read...but yeah...Kanye is racist as hell son.

Old 01-04-07, 03:44 PM   #15
KOOL COL-B
Tha 1st member of S.W.A

Text Record: 11-0
IP: 5350 A834

palabra @ InDeath y N.Tavarez

we can mow theyre lawns
but they ignoe our songs

smh, werd

REST IN PEACE MY MUTHAPHUKKIN SPICCA OMB!!!