RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-03, 05:05 PM   #1
Steelfist
BANNED

Text Record: 3-10
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
What Yall Think Of This Big L Article

IP: FD6B F0D6

YO TO ME BIG L WAS ONE OF THE ILLEST NIGGAS TO EVER DO IT.. HIS RHYMES WERE FUCKIN CLEVER AND AMAZING.. WHERE DO YALL PUT THIS DUDE AMONG SOME OF THE GREATEST LYRICIST TO EVER DO IT.. YO?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every once and a while, you come across an emcee, who makes you say, "who the fuck is that?" You're just blown away on their talent. Right then and their you wanna know more on that emcee. In this case, I be talkin about Big L. Big L, in a lotta people's minds, wasn't just a rapper, but an icon, a living legend. To be able to spit bars like him, or tell a story the way he did, says one thing, the man was bound to blow up. Although he was ignored by many, true hip-hopper's know, that a man of that caliber, is hard to find. From day 1, when he dropped a bar on the "Yes You May (Remix)" you know right away this guy was big. It don't take a fuckin genius to figure out that Big L was ahead of the game when his first LP dropped. The tracks on there were instant classics. Not only did he pave the way for himself, but for other cats like Mase, Cam'ron, Mcgruff, and Jay-Z. Classic cuts like, "Put It On", and "MVP" made your heads bop, way back in '95 and still make your head bounce. Big L was always commercially ignored, but let me break down commercial for what I think it means. Being commercial don't mean you got the slickest rhymes, it don't mean you the best emcee. It means you've gone pop. Being underground, allows you to stay true to your lyrics, you don't talk all that shit 'bout, "I got so much money blah blah," or, "So much ice around my neck blah blah." Big L talked about street life, but he never "over did it", sure he talked about having pockets dumb fat, but he didn't do it in every song. He was a lyrical genius. He stayed true to himself, he never sold out to sell more units at "Sam Goody," he never made lyrics just to get him airplay. For example, lets go back to when he made "Devil's Son." What in the fuck was he thinkin? Makin a song about slappin a priest or killin a bunch of people. He didn't make it for the radio, heck, it was banned from radio, he made it for him, and his fans, not for some bitch ass radio station, or MTV. Speakin of being ignored, how much airplay did he get on MTV? Truthfully I don't know, but I'm more than sure he didn't get much at all. See I'm from Canada, I got MTV, I got BET, even got Much Music, but yet I don't see a Big L video being played once a week, or even a month. I've seen "Holdin' it Down" twice, once on BET, and once on Much Music. I'm sure MTV has played it, but never has he been in high rotation. Luckily I've seen the "MVP" video once, but all that is bullshit. I don't wanna turn on the tube, put in on BET, and watch a fuckin video on Ja Rule talkin about love, or Puff Daddy sayin he's a bad boy. I wanna see a fuckin Big L video, or the odd underground video. Sure Ja Rule and Puffy are popular, but they sold out way back, just to make the extra dollar. Big L wasn't on a huge label, he had his own label, Flamboyant Ent. He called the shots, he put out what he wanted. He was gonna get signed on Roca-Fella, but for a one album deal, and it was gonna be through Flamboyant Ent. I'm sure Big L would have loved to be heard and seen more, obviously the extra face card in his pocket would have been nice, but isn't rap supposed to be for the love of it and all the money a big fuckin bonus? I guess not. Now let me talk about the "Big Picture." Half of it was completed before his death and the other, after. This album like his first was another instant classic. It's too bad Big L couldn't enjoy the success of this album. In my opinion this album is flawless. If Big L were here, he'd be for sure pleased with it goin gold. Although he's not here to savor the success, I'm sure he's lookin down laughin. He laughin, cause he proved all those mu'fuckas out there that he could do it. He went gold without havin to buy his way to it with all those ad's n' shit. Now we're left to wonder why? Like others, and myself, we were saddened by the horrific murder that left us breathless. It's not often you come across a rapper as nice as him. Although I didn't know him, those who did or met him will tell you the same. He was one of a kind. No one will ever be like him. Thanks to friends, we can still hear his music. Hopefully we'll see a greatest hits album, or unreleased compilation to put the finishing touches on his legacy. The best to come out of Harlem and one of the greatest to come outta rap. He's truly a MVP, the most valuable poet ever on the mic. - Intellect
Old 09-24-03, 05:31 PM   #2
verbal ice

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 8220 76F2

^^ tru stuff man I think L is up there with the best of em
he was truely "Holdin' it down"
Old 09-24-03, 05:32 PM   #3
Kredit
Banned for Stupidity

Text Record: 4-0
IP: D296 3D3B

R.I.P Big L. .

And yes, the kid had amazing skills. . Even though I've heard all his songs about a million times, they never cease to amaze me. .
Send a message via AIM to Kredit   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-03, 05:44 PM   #4
Ricochet.
BANNED

Text Record: 32-10
IP: 9B91 D0C6

And his freestyles... i cant beleeve he rippd J-Z in that 7 minute free they did 2gether.. pre written or not he sonned J

and i 4got the name of it but please tell me what was the track wher he spit shit with kool G rap?
Send a message via AIM to Ricochet.   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-03, 05:46 PM   #5
Steelfist
BANNED

shit no doubt man he really made jigga look like an amateur on that shit.. it was sad that he aint ever blow up before he died.. but it just goes to show you how ill he was.. that the "big picture" went gold wihtout a huge single

that nigga was truly special

and that song he had with kool g rap was platinum plus
Old 09-24-03, 05:58 PM   #6
Ricochet.
BANNED

Text Record: 32-10
IP: 9B91 D0C6

^Ight thanx man.. good 2 see Big L getin recognised.. he created wuite a few punches u STIL see around now
Send a message via AIM to Ricochet.   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-03, 06:15 PM   #7
-ElocuShun-

Text Record: 0-1
IP: 9B6A 1F1E

true^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^nice piece............................................. .................................................. .ya got everything ya knew into it and well big l is prob the best there was
Old 09-24-03, 06:26 PM   #8
Steelfist
BANNED

that niggas is one of the few cats that when you listen to him for the first time.. you just get amazed..
Old 09-24-03, 07:38 PM   #9
Kost
Fern Gully

IP: 88F4 75D2

"im so ahead of my time my parents havent met yet"

nuff said

Keepin It Real Dumb

The Creation
We Dont Need A Fuckin Crew Forum!
Kost
Send a message via AIM to Kost   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-03, 02:38 AM   #10
G. Buttersworth
Yeah Keep Biting.

IP: 6C59 B267

you mad cause i was in a van with yo bitch, with both hands on her tits.

the kids freestlye was unmatchable.

you was never shit your mother should of swallowed you.

living legend indeed.

<center>G. Buttersworthâ„¢</center>

G.I. JOE
Send a message via AIM to G. Buttersworth Send a message via Yahoo to G. Buttersworth   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-03, 07:48 AM   #11
shookes

Text Record: 0-1
IP: 720D F412

big l is da bomb he was and still is the best mc eva beta than jay-z or met and red peace
Old 09-25-03, 07:57 AM   #12
Trah Siph
Masquarading 4 U

Text Record: 13-5
IP: 6F9E F23B

Listened to Big L for the first time last night (heard of him, looked for his Cod's, couldn't find them) but then I borrowed a CD last night with that Big L and Jigga freestyle, and I was amazed..............This guy fuckin killed Jay-Z- to the point of no return. This guy totally amzed me, and now I know what I've been missin'. I'm gonna go searchin' for Big L Cd's soon, someone tell me the names of his undergriound Cd's and mix tapes and I'll hunt him out.peace

BIG L - One of the greatest............Rest in peace
Old 09-25-03, 03:18 PM   #13
G. Buttersworth
Yeah Keep Biting.

IP: 6C59 B267

lifestyles of the poor and dangerous.

and his second album was the Big Picture.

both albums are classics in my book.

<center>G. Buttersworthâ„¢</center>

G.I. JOE
Send a message via AIM to G. Buttersworth Send a message via Yahoo to G. Buttersworth   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-03, 04:10 AM   #14
*Y_nOt*
Light Weight

Text Record: 0-0
IP: CEF5 716F

^^^ i cant agree more! Big L was one of the greatest of all time in my opinion. What made him so great was that he was GULLY!! He had his name ringin through out the underground and yet he stayed tru to his craft and tru to the streets. To me he was just a cat who you seen everyday, in the same neighborhood, just chillin, spittin and have'n a good time and i loved that the most about him. He never let his albums and success get to him. He didnt move out the hood cuz he made a 100 thou.....you seen him everyday on the same block bein hood!!! I know all of us tru emcees will never forget him and all the things he stood for and how he took hip-hop and emcee'n to a whole nother level.....R.I.P "It's Big L"

" So for the 2nd time [The Pharisses] summoned the man who had been blind and said
"Speak the truth before God. We know this man is a sinner."
"Wether he is a sinner I do not know."
:The man replied:
"All I know is this...Once I was blind and now I can see"
John 1x 24-26
Old 09-27-03, 01:49 AM   #15
Dirty Sally
Light Weight

Text Record: 4-1
IP: F19F D969

Big L was a genius. There's no famous rapper on the scene today that can match scripts with Big L. And I'm sorry Big L isn't here today to bless us with his lyricism. Rest up, L. You are greatly missed...