RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-06, 07:22 PM   #1
Tha .Q
I'm Talented.Period.

IP:

I'm excited to start...It's been something I've wanted to do for years...finally got enough nerve to do it.

Send a message via AIM to Tha .Q   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 09:44 PM   #2
R.Christensen
Phu Que

IP:

You arent getting the point...

MMA training sets you up better for actual combat better than any single discipline. There is no other training where you spar 100% every day... we fight daily with 4 oz gloves... the advantage to having that training is insane.

And you didnt just say Jeet Kune Do... that was the first attempt at mixed martial arts lol...

The thing most people dont remember is just because we learn things with rules in mind does not mean we couldnt add the cheap tactics in an actual fight.

Take most martial arts... they dont so much as teach you to keep your chin down...

Hell... with MMA you are ready for any situation... standing, clinched, grappling, chokes, joint locks, etc.

Nothing conditions you to be able to react to a real fight better than that. 80% of moves in traditional martial arts are not effective in real fights.
Old 11-05-06, 03:25 AM   #3
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

Yeah, but Jeet Kune Do is different... Its now considered a style, and is different to the kind of MMA you're talking about.

Maybe you haven't had much exposure to true martial arts? Styles don't teach you, teachers teach you. A good teacher will teach you what's important. And good teachers are incredibly hard to find these days. The right kind of training is also important and that is up to the teacher as well. While 100% sparring may be effective for fights with rules, it becomes less effective in a real fight.

Personally, I'd put my money on the Muay Thai fighter, if he was a true Muay Thai. Lets extend the hypothetical. Say both fighters train for 3 years. The MMA guy trains in various styles, changes each day or every few days, wears weighted gloves, etc. And the Muay Thai fighter trains in a traditional Muay Thay fashion. Basics, followed by extensive strength and impact conditioning while learning more advanced techniques and sparring. Are you aware that Muay Thai fighters condition the areas they use to attack and defend so they become less sensetive and a lot harder? For example, they will kick palm trees or something else rough and hard many times with their shins, and their body makes the bone thats being hit stronger and harder. They also do this kind of thing with their knuckles. Many traditional martial arts incorporate conditioning like this, since it not only conditions the body but also the mind.

So when they fight, MMA fighter knows a few of MT fighter's moves. Not a problem, since he is far less effective in executing them. MT fighter knows just as many techniques as MMA fighter, maybe a bit less, but he has mastered those techniques and can adapt them. The MMA fighter is at least proficient in a few styles, which evens out the advantage. So skill wise we have two fighters that are more or less equal. What will set them apart and determine the winner?

One has spent the 3 years sparring in a controlled environment with gloves. The other is hardened physically and mentally. Thats the key right there.

When I still did MA, my teacher would have never made training sessions 100% sparring. Sparring was maybe only 20-30% of training, probably less. We were also made to condition our bones for impact, and do balance exercises. And he would tell people to sneak up behind somebody while they were sparring or training and hit them or push them over, it was funny. After a few months of him doing that everyone was not only aware of what they were doing, but also everything around them, being careful and ready to defend themselves from anywhere. He gave us not only physical strength but mental strength.

Thats why I keep saying it depends on the fighter. If two fighters have been taught well, it doesn't matter what style they use, the match will turn from a fight based on strength and speed to a fight based on will, technique and strategy.
Old 11-04-06, 09:47 PM   #4
R.Christensen
Phu Que

IP:

I mean really...

Who are you going to be more worried about... someone who trains wrestling one day... then boxing the next... then BJJ... then Muay Thai... then having the 5th day be a mixture of everything...

Or the guy that trained Muay Thai all week...

The MMA fighter would recognize the Muay Thai techniques and would take the fight to the ground...

Or someone who has worked BJJ everyday.... the MMA fighter would see the style and keep space with leg kicks and alot of straights....
Old 11-05-06, 02:27 AM   #5
JTR
Jack The Ripper

IP:

Chea, I like boxing the best out of all the shit i've done
Old 11-05-06, 10:19 AM   #6
R.Christensen
Phu Que

IP:

You sir, are wrong.

Look at MMA competitions...
The second people started to train "mma" they began to dominate. You would see people that had pretty well mastered a certain martial art getting absolutely tooled by the person that trains a little of everything.

Hell... thats how MMA started... two masters of different forms fighting to see which was best... then someone decided to take parts of each... then that guy dominated
Old 11-05-06, 09:32 PM   #7
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

My point is those people who train MMA and are elite fighters, usually started out fighting by becoming very good at one style. MMA is difficult to do well, MMA often lacks parts of the martial arts it uses that are not physical. The only reason MMA became a "style" so to speak that you can just start out learning, is because it is so effective at elite levels.

That, however, does not make MMA automatically stronger than other martial arts. A beginner who dabbles in many different styles is probably worse off than a beginner who concentrates on one style, all aspects of that one style, and mastering the basic techniques of that one style. But this might not always be the case, because like I said before, how good someone is is dependant on the fighter and the teacher.

I recognise the advantages of MMA, but you must realise that there are disadvantages also, and that you can't judge a fighter by their style alone. I'm saying MMA may or may not win, and other styles are also effective depending on various things. You're saying MMA is better than learning one style, which can be true to a certain degree but is not absolute... Because its not the style, its the fighter. This is one of the first things that should be taught in any martial arts, but I guess in MMA they teach that it's the best. One of the first things my teacher said to new members in our class was "Some people lose while using Taijutsu." A few people get disheartened by this, and go somewhere else where they say their style is the ultimate winning style that cannot ever be beaten. Obviously it never is, and people can lose using that style. This includes MMA. You also have to remember that there is more to real martial arts than just fighting.

They should call the kind of MMA you learn something like Multi-style Fight Training. From what you've said it doesnt look anything like true martial arts. That said, I'm not trying to attack it, im just saying they are very different and maybe what suits one person won't suit another person.