RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-04, 04:24 PM   #1
GBless
Light Weight

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Jay Z, Dame Dash sell Roc-A-Fella records..

IP: 0745 D12F

It looks like it's the end of a dynasty.

After 10 years of releasing some of hip-hop's most influential records, Jay-Z, Damon Dash and Kareem "Biggs" Burke have sold their remaining 50 percent stake of Roc-A-Fella Records to its parent label,

Island Def Jam, a Def Jam spokesperson said.

The imprint was sold for $10 million, according to reports. As part of the deal, Island Def Jam will retain the entire Roc-A-Fella roster, including multiple-Grammy nominee Kanye West (see "Kanye Scores 10 Grammy Nominations; Usher And Alicia Keys Land Eight"), Memphis Bleek and Beanie Sigel.

Jay-Z has also been named president and CEO of Def Jam Records. As part of the deal, Jay will continue to run Roc-A-Fella. There's no word yet on whether or not he will be launching his own imprint, S. Carter Records, under the Def Jam umbrella.

As for Dash, it's not clear what his next move will be. However, the consummate businessman had said a few months ago that selling the label was something he was open to (see "Label Home Of Kanye, Jay-Z Closing? No Way, Insists CEO").

Jay, Dash and Burke recently renewed their contract with Def Jam for a reported $20 million. They brought Roc-A-Fella to the label in 1997 and sold the initial half-stake to Def Jam at that time for $1.5 million.

Roc-A-Fella Records launched in 1994 as an independent label. Its first full-length release was Jay-Z's 1996 debut, Reasonable Doubt

I got this information from MTV...

Send a message via MSN to GBless   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 05:43 PM   #2
Ill Minded
New to RV

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 6104 6E4A

pretty dope.. jay z is now president.. signed foxy to 75 mil. shits getting crazy in the industry .. stupid move by damen he couldve made a life long cash extortion out of this.. biggs when honestly he was never in the picture he was like the donation no say just gimme the money..
Old 12-11-04, 06:38 PM   #3
Anamasity
~Prince of RapVerse~

From: Mothafucka dont worry about that just know im comin 4 u
IP: 48F2 8431

damn owell they was pissy while they lasted

New Breed is my family so fuck yours
Old 12-13-04, 04:51 PM   #4
M-Eazy
Banned: Cheating

IP: E3CA 7CA2

thats a rumor u fuckin nerd heads...roc-a-fella is an independent label anyway..they didnt have a partner, and they was never wit island def jam...they had partners bac in '96 to i think 2000...they finially became independent in 2001 when jay dropped the blueprint...go to rocafella records...they would have that shit stated in there somewhere if they sold tha record label...jay's not selling that shit, u dumb fuck...i seen this same article on tha net, but u didnt put tha part at tha end where they said its be a rumor

ROCAFELLA RECORD didnt even exist in 1994...and in '96 they was partnered...if u bought a rocafella cd anytime b4 2000, u would see on tha back that tha labels are posted there...and rocafella was never independent in that time...why would sumthin be independent, then partner with somebody..rocafella record is stable, they got tha clothing line, tha vodka, tha shoes, tha music, tha rock, and hella other shit

Last edited by Pyro : 12-13-04 at 04:54 PM.
Send a message via Yahoo to M-Eazy   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 04:53 PM   #5
Compose

IP: D5FE 7245

^lmfao its not a rumor they said it on mtv and on the radio that its confirmed.......get your facts straight before you start mouthin off to people...

and i made this thread like last week lol oh well
peace
Old 12-13-04, 05:57 PM   #6
NY's Finest
New to RV

Text Record: 2-0
IP: 6B5A F465

thats a fact they did sell there share to Def JAm