RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-05, 08:46 PM   #1
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 19-4
Graphics Record: 0-0
MAKIN' n SLANGIN' MIXTAPES/DEMO's... "THE SCRIPT"

IP: 81D9 FAB1

A few cats read my post in Tha Q's thread about slanging and said they should sticky it, so I thought I'd just make my own thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.L.I
these people are all fucking idiots and dont know shit bout selling c.ds.first off you need to get a single on a college radio local show or some shit that gets airplay then try for a bigger station which may or may not work.put singles on other local d.js mixtapes and shit as well.first off NOONE will buy your shit if they dont know who you are.the most important aspect of selling c.ds out the trunk of your car is YOU HAVE TO BE DOING A SHOW!!stuf.these r.v kids are idiots obviously never did shit.you do a show then sell c.ds after wards are have your crew sell them while you perform.if noone will give you a show you can always rent a music hall and sell tickets for like 5 or 10 bucks a pop people will come just cuz bitches and music will be there and of course liquor so you make ticket sales and you sell c.ds.

.....comin from a kid who hasn't done one show, and hasn't sold more than 3 cds. I sold 2000 of my mixtapes this year, and did between 30-40 shows. Me and Dooms talked about this, cause we both BEEN slangin, and know what works, what doesn't.

EDIT* - THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. IF YOU'RE DOING SHOWS AND HAVE MAD CONNECTS - CONGRATS, YOU'RE 2 STEPS AHEAD OF MOST CATS ON THIS SITE. BUT, FOR MOST OF YOU, THIS WILL BE A FAIRLY HELPFUL 'START FROM SCRATCH' MIXTAPE/DEMO HELPER ON WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T.

What works: (keep in mind - all $ figures are CDN. Adjust when necessary)

Step 1: Buy your cds you plan on burnin in LARGE stacks. They're WAY cheaper. I buy the hundred cases, and usually try and burn 30-50 in a sittin. Its usually $1 a cd, but if you buy in 100's, it drops to like $0.40-$0.60/per disc. Also, when you print a cover, do it on basic paper to save on cost, and just cut out a basic one-sided, two page cd cover case sized print out. For cases - I buy the slim cases, cause 1) They slimmer. lol, Hence lighter weight, and 2) they fill a smaller capacity in something like a box or backpack. Also bulk buy your cases - I found some DOPE clear ones at Best Buy for like 60 for $29.99.

OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom-in-all
Dooms - feel free to correct anything in that post. The rest of you, shut ya mouths for 2 seconds - copy that shiz to a word doc, and cherish it as gold. Good luck.

honestly man, that about covers every end of it. The only thing I'd plug in is an "OR" for step 1. I elected to NOT burn them my self since the labor was A: rediculous based on the time I had and B: wasn't as professional looking for what I was going for. Or should I say "who" which was labels, and to this day I don't regret it. It also cost me a lot less too, so I didn't lose sleep over giving out free copies. Check this out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will S.Unyu
where do I go to get it done?

I went to a local guy. All you need to find is someone with a burning station (which burns a rediculous amount of CD's in no time - and most nowadays can print in not just black, but R, G, and B as well).

Step 2: Get someone to design a decent cover for free. DON'T WASTE MONEY ON THIS. It takes like 5 minutes for a decent graphix head to throw one together with your pic, a track listing, and your contact info on there. And YES, include your email, website (if available) & phone #, cause I find all kinds of contacts through sales. Colab artists, producers who want to help out or are unknown and CHEAP, etc. Don't be narrow minded thinking that ONLY a A&R gon pick this up, but look at all the possible outlets.

Step 3: Get a decent product. - You prolly gon end up demo'ing a few songs for most cats before they buy, and if your stuffs weak, they aint gon buy a thing. So if you HAVE to use your $5 cpu mic (which I did before I got with RRR) make sure you spend time on learning some decent recording techniques, and mixing techniques.

STEP 4: Mass produce. Ain't nothin worse, then hitting a hot spot for selling, and having like 3 cds on you. Backpacks work good. Their mobile, and you can fit 100-130 cds in there. I stack mine in 10's, with a elastic band around em, so I can keep track of how many I'm moving. (And their easier to pack, carry, stack, etc)

STEP 5: Price your stuff. Know that it cost you like $1/each TOPS to make this thing, case, cd, & cover. Its a basic demo. Everything above that is profit. If it was a slow sellin area/time - I'd lower the price to $5, or $7. Most cats will blow $5 easy, but remember - if you up it to $7, thats 2 extra discs you can re-up. If its a hot spot, you better be sellin at $10 to maximize opportunity. Every extra dollar counts, but don't over price your product.

STEP 6: Hit the streets... HARD. I found the first couple of times out - I sold like 2, 3, maybe 4 cds. Got me discouraged until I found a hotspot and sold like 25. Stay tryin to find new places, or goin to hot spots at different times to find the right crowd. Right place, right time = $$$.

STEP 7: Basic Marketing. I used my old discman, and headphones, and let cats peep a track or two. (Don't waste time on some cat peepin the whole album, only to hear him/her say "I ain't got no money" )Dooms used a boombox, and thats jus as good, i jus find it less mobile. I hit malls, the movies, hip hop shows, arcades, theme parks, and any event that relates. (For me - any aboriginal function works - they'll support any native hustlin... I got 40 yr old ladies buyin my mixtape for they kids lol) For most cats - any hip hop related event is good. Make sure you slang before the event, cause cats come with mad cash to blow on chicks or drinks, and a extra $5-10 ain't no thing. After the shows - half the cats are broke. lol. Any place where people are spendin money is good. I usually end up jus walkin around sayin "Support local hip hop" and all kinds of people come up to me wantin to know whats goin on. They peep a track or two, I tell em who I am and what I do, and then get em on the sale pitch. (Smooth talkin ladies DOES work, don't forget ugly chicks never get attention LOL)

Granted: I prolly moved half those mixtapes at shows, BUT - the other 1000 were jus me slangin at those spots on my free time. (Which I don't have alot)

what DOESN'T work:

1) Wasting mad money on design work, that cats dont care about. Honestly - when I see a cat in the mall hustlin - I usually always support em, given they have a good sound. When I buy one - I already know I jus dropped $5-10 for a BURNED cd, so it doesn't matter how flossy that sheet of paper with the track listing is, its how good or weak the product inside is.

2) Wasting money on recording in a pro studio. PLEASE. Most studios are like $50-$100/hr, and I would say - if you record like me, you gon need between 15-20 hours to put together a 10-15 track demo/LP/mixtape. DO IT YOUR DAMN SELF - IT AINT HARD. I would recommend upgrading to a decent mic and preamp for max $250 off the top. Use some jacked program like Cool Edit, and learn the features of it even tho its basic.

3) Thinking that you don't need to spend HOURS slanging. It doesn't all come in a rush, and if you gotta waste a Saturday afternoon and night slanging product, realize - 15 minutes in the parking lot will NOT get you mad dough.

There's prolly mad more tips, and I might edit this, but thats it off the top. Your basic DO's and DON'T's to makin n slangin a demo. word.

Some pics:

Good luck slangin', I'll edit this if I missed anything.

Same Page Productions

Last edited by Phenom-in-all : 11-01-05 at 10:20 PM.
Send a message via AIM to Phenom-in-all Send a message via MSN to Phenom-in-all   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 08:59 PM   #2
Tha Q.
OYD

IP: 1ADC A69C

nice Phenom

shud be stickied

Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 09:04 PM   #3
Zone Out
Power Hungry

Audio Record: 5-1
IP: 3702 D352

ok
so, I got my own mixtape comin out
its not just me on it though

but anyway, my question is
I shouldnt waste my money on gettin the disc specifially made?
I just stick to the sharpie?

Rap Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe
If you do kegel excercises, you would be able to do something similar without having to hold your tip shut with your hand. After you've been doing them, hold off ejaculating as long as you can to really let the pressure build and then aim for your girlfriend's eye and let 'er rip.. You might get lucky and shoot her eye out. That's probably exaggerating it a bit, but it will still be hilarious
Send a message via AIM to Zone Out   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 09:06 PM   #4
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

it IS sharpied.... I bought those discs with the white background for $49.99 for a 100 pack at Best Buy.

Same Page Productions

Last edited by Phenom-in-all : 11-01-05 at 09:11 PM.
Send a message via AIM to Phenom-in-all Send a message via MSN to Phenom-in-all   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 09:12 PM   #5
Zone Out
Power Hungry

Im sayin
should I do that too?
cos I want the disc specifically made, but I dont know how much that shit goin cost

Rap Extraordinaire

Quote:
If you do kegel excercises, you would be able to do something similar without having to hold your tip shut with your hand. After you've been doing them, hold off ejaculating as long as you can to really let the pressure build and then aim for your girlfriend's eye and let 'er rip.. You might get lucky and shoot her eye out. That's probably exaggerating it a bit, but it will still be hilarious
Old 11-01-05, 09:18 PM   #6
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

If you press a cd in Canada - its about $1200 for your first 500, and the prices usually get cheaper the more you press. (I have a connection at that price through our distribution company - I have no idea what it costs if you just call them up, probably $2000+). Ours come with a 4 pg colour insert.

OR - burn your own @ $250-$500 for 500 copies.

I dunno if that helps...

Same Page Productions
Old 11-01-05, 09:25 PM   #7
Tha Q.
OYD

IP: 1ADC A69C

Imma def. use that blade to cut out those labels cuz scissors are NOT happening
Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-05, 09:25 PM   #8
Zone Out
Power Hungry

DAYUM!
I dont have the much money to waste.
what you mean by "burn your own"?

regardless though, now that you've told me that, I might as well just take a sharpie to my shit too
even though I really DIDNT WANT TO DO THAT..

Rap Extraordinaire

Quote:
Old 11-01-05, 09:27 PM   #9
L.E
L.E

IP: DB16 D9CD

Word...

I was spendin mad cash on that fuckin disc stomper shit...this looks way cheaper.

A'yo, Phenom, I'll get some CD's and we'll go slangin when I come down.
Old 11-01-05, 09:28 PM   #10
Zone Out
Power Hungry

and that "blade" is called an X-Acto knife

Rap Extraordinaire

Quote:
Old 11-01-05, 09:30 PM   #11
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will S.Unyu
DAYUM!
I dont have the much money to waste.
what you mean by "burn your own"?

regardless though, now that you've told me that, I might as well just take a sharpie to my shit too
even though I really DIDNT WANT TO DO THAT..

I don't think mine looks that bad. And if its burnt - its burnt. Not much you can do to gloss it up LOL. But at 1/8th the cost, it worked for me. I can afford to press NOW, but most people can't when they start out, or are simply looking for the cheapest way to do things.

ps - q - that razor pen is like the SHIZ. I can cut soooo fast, and so clean with that compared to scizzors, it aint even funny.

Same Page Productions
Old 11-01-05, 09:32 PM   #12
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

xacto-knife, yea man. Staples in Canada has a name brand called "Razor Pen", so thats what I call em.... :\

Same Page Productions
Old 11-01-05, 09:32 PM   #13
PrahJect
Champion

IP: F202 EDFB

that razor pen is the shit...imma jack sum from the art department at my school..and thanks for the help...I apreciate that...werd...
Old 11-01-05, 09:33 PM   #14
Zone Out
Power Hungry

Rap Extraordinaire

Quote:
Old 11-01-05, 09:46 PM   #15
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

updated with Dooms' comment....

Same Page Productions