RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge > Album Reviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-06, 07:15 PM   #1
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 19-4
Graphics Record: 0-0
Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds Review...

IP: 46FD B0FB

Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I289T8S9

1. (00:04:02) Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSound
2. (00:04:03) Justin Timberlake - SexyBack (Ft. Timbaland)
3. (00:05:33) Justin Timberlake - Sexy Ladies/Let Me Talk To You (Prelude)
4. (00:04:36) Justin Timberlake - My Love (Ft. T.I.)
5. (00:07:24) Justin Timberlake - LoveStoned/I Think She Knows (Interlude)
6. (00:07:29) Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.../...Comes Around (Interlude)
7. (00:05:04) Justin Timberlake - Chop Me Up (Ft. Timbaland & Three-6 Mafia)
8. (00:05:13) Justin Timberlake - Damn Girl (Ft. Will.I.Am)
9. (00:06:24) Justin Timberlake - Summer Love/Set The Mood (Prelude)
10. (00:05:23) Justin Timberlake - Until The End Of Time (Ft. The Benjamin Wright Orchestra)
11. (00:05:22) Justin Timberlake - Losing My Way
12. (00:05:49) Justin Timberlake - (Another Song) All Over Again
13. (00:04:47) Justin Timberlake - Pose (Ft. Snoop Dogg)
14. (00:03:58) Justin Timberlake - SexyBack (Remix) (Ft. Clipse)

Pre-Listen:

I am going into this album expecting a few VERY radio-friendly singles, and then the usual boy-group album filler material. I've never been a big Justin Timberlake fan, and even though I enjoy all types of music, 'commercial RnB' (if there is an offical term for boy bands) has never been a favorite of mine. But, as all music - I am going into this album with an open mind, as a prejudice on the music will pre-form decisions, and change the way I hear every song. With that stated, lets roll through these tracks.

Track Notes:

1. FutureSex/LoveSound - Obviously going for a futuristic sound. Some interesting Blip Bass with a melody similar to 'Another One Bites The Dust'. Very simple harmonies, and an interesting vocoder used on J.T.'s voice. The loss of clarity seems to be more to blend with the music then anything else. Decent track. Not a great opening track.

2. SexyBack (Ft. Timbaland) - Big opening first single. Staying futuristic with layered synths. I like Timberlands presence on the track, not enough for a feature, but a nice add to the hook. Melody is oddly addictive. Almost has a Neptune feel with the drumming and the synths. A little too repetative for me, with not many change ups. It's a catchy track, but not my fav.

3. Sexy Ladies/Let Me Talk To You (Prelude) - ok. First off - the 80's synths is ASS. Yuck. This sounds like a mid 90's boy-band B side record. The beat gets two thumbs down for real, although the harmony is decent on this track. Really not feeling it overall though.

4. My Love (Ft. T.I.) - In my opinion - this track should have been the opening single. Amazingly catchy synth usage for the main melody, and addicting harmonies all the way through, from the verse, to the bridge, to the hook/chorus. More from Timbo on the hook, always a nice addition. I won't lie, I am singing along. Excellent crossover appeal bringing in T.I. The beat seems a little fast for his usual southern style track, but he hits it nicely.

5. LoveStoned/I Think She Knows (Interlude) - One thing I love about this album is it has a few 'interludes' which are actually double tracks. Reminds me of mid-70's soul records with longer than normal tracks that almost told a longer story because there were so many changes with the music. Anyways - part one of this - has some nice strings, and guitar usage, with a strong bassline. It's almost going back to the boy-group style song though, and I'm not feeling it's something I would regularly play. Part II - A super nice change up - with JT beatboxing in the background, rolling into a sole guitar playing. This part is slower, but I'm loving the melody, and the ease of the harmonies. It's almost just a bridge, but yet, an entire song in itself. 'I think she knows' (pt.I) was meh to me, but 'LoveStoned' (pt. II) made this track an excellent play.

6. What Goes Around.../...Comes Around (Interlude) - Another one of the two part songs. Part I has an excellent southern guitar loop layered over another guitar. One of Timberlands gems for this project for sure. I like the storyline on this, and the melody's on the bridge and hook. Pt.II - OH MY. Timberland is usually a King with keyboards, but on this part he flips a basic sample, and adds his usual bassy drumming sequences, and fast hat runs. JT kills this coming back on point with the storyline. Excellent tie between the two songs, and both are super nice. This track is excellent overall.

7. Chop Me Up (Ft. Timbaland & Three-6 Mafia) - Ok. First of all I saw 3-6 as a feature, and I was like... No. Simply - no. BUT, first verse I'm loving JT's more grown level lyrics. No more boy band style - he's going for a grown appeal, and it's working. This has potential to be an excellent third single. I was surprised at Timberland actually doing an entire verse on here. I'm used to him helping on hooks at most. Let alone doing an entire hook himself. Now he's got an entire verse. It's got that same vocoder on his voice giving it a rough static feel. WHOA - Beat change for the third verse, I can see this popping off in the club. Super Strong synth and excellent colab. Not what I expected at all. Excellent track.

8. Damn Girl (Ft. Will.I.Am) - I'm loving the drumming sequences on this. Very pop-single style, similar to Black Eyed Peas sound right now. I love the wurlitzer piano in the background! haha. Nice. The hook is most definately enjoyable - reminds me of soul music again. Will.I.Ams verse is... well... uh... typical B.E.P. rap. Still - a catchy track.

9. Summer Love/Set The Mood (Prelude) - Ok Ok... Loving this beat. Some nice synths - but just light enough for you to wonder if they are synths. JT comes in nice on the verse, good melody, and a great feel. I'm digging this jam for real. Excellent Hook - good string addition in the background, as well as some slight horns. Bridge - good switch up. Part II 'Set The Mood' - I love how JT is hittin every level with this album. He has a techno-ish style, very alternative on some tracks, an urban feel, the obvious pop feel we're accustomed to, but with this song a very nice Marques Houston-esqe RnB feel. Good melody's, an extremely catchy baby-makin music feel. This song is Amazing.

10. Until The End Of Time (Ft. The Benjamin Wright Orchestra) - Interesting beat - some odd reverbs on some of the drums, and synths. Another good RnB feeling record. The bridge has me thinking 'Earth Wind & Fire', not 'Bye Bye Bye'. Definately an excellent mix-up track, and not just filler. I like the addition of the orchestra - adds so much depth to a track like this. Great track.

11. Losing My Way - Interesting beat. JT hits a serious note here with a serious track. Good storytelling, and an excellent melody. I like it. The choir is a nice addition as well. Almost like their voices are an extension of the beat. Very Nice.

12. (Another Song) All Over Again - Excellent feeling song right here. Has a John Lennon meets John Legend 'live' feel almost. Haha. Yea, this is a nice jam. Finally it's mostly vocals and there is the clarity there as well. Excellent slow jam.

13. Pose (Ft. Snoop Dogg) - Yuck @ the beat. Technoish and sounds straight ugly. This hook is meh. Idea is kind of played, and seems like a track Madonna should have done about 10-15 years ago. Sounds like something you would hear on a Kodak commercial, not on the new JT album. Snoops verse is average at best. These two could have colab'd on something ALOT hotter. yuck.

14. SexyBack (Remix) (Ft. Clipse) - Same as the original, but with a nice rap remix. Not much else to say - Clipse verse was nice.

Overview:

There were a few tracks that I thought were fairly weak on this album. BUT, usually you'd be saying there were a few tracks I LIKED. Most albums these days have 2-5 single records that sound really nice, and the rest of the album is filler. I think this album was excellent through-out with very few weak spots. ('Pose' & 'Sexy Ladies/Let Me Talk To You') I thought there were a few exceptional tracks that stood out to me, not just off this album, but as original sounding tracks, that I'm sure I'll be listening to years down the road. ('Summer Love/Set The Mood', 'What Goes Around.../...Comes Around', 'My Love', etc) This album was something different and something the same, bringing a new JT sound, but more of the same JT style. If you're close minded to most Pop music, this album probably isn't better than average, but if you listen to this album and hear the depth of music on most tracks alone - you'd respect this album. Catchy tracks, faster club style jams, excellent slow material, and some truth in a few serious tracks. In my opinion - a pretty damn good album. word.

Rating: 8.5 (on the classic 'Phenom - 10.5' rating system that scores 0-10.5)

Same Page Productions

Last edited by Phenom-in-all : 09-05-06 at 05:02 PM.
Send a message via AIM to Phenom-in-all Send a message via MSN to Phenom-in-all   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 04:00 PM   #2
L.E
L.E

IP: 2EF1 1720

Hmm. Interesting.

But...

In sexy back, JT sounds like a woman. Does he have that annoying techno voice on the whole CD?
Old 09-05-06, 05:03 PM   #3
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

IP: 77BB E1E2

^^^ No, not really - I've added the free download to my original post. Check it out for yourself. I think the shits hot. word.

Same Page Productions
Send a message via AIM to Phenom-in-all Send a message via MSN to Phenom-in-all   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 12:15 PM   #4
Shear Kaughn
Broke as hell

Text Record: 0-0
Audio Record: 0-0
IP: 53B1 A5EC

yea i've noticed that to..in some of his songs he sounds like a female...which i thought was rather wack. but i'll give this album a try
Old 09-06-06, 01:34 PM   #5
L. Veracity
You Cant Handle The Truth

Audio Record: 0-2
IP: F408 EB1A

I'll address something to start... Justin's voice was never that deep, you just never noticed it before cuz he was a lead singer..he had the high leads on all of the group songs, JC always had the lower parts

"Future Sex/Love Sounds" has a nice bass line on it, this track is okay, but he could've started the album with a stronger song...then again it's the title track ...this one's okay, but nothing extra stellar, I like the electronic sounds on this, it's real new age, but yet still kinda 80s

"Sexy Ladies" is very Rick James...getting him on this would've been awesome...this has a real nice old school feel to it, nice track to just "strut" to

"My Love" is dope as hell on the beat, but it's a long ass song that gets repetative, they should've put T.I. closer to the middle to change the song up and have it be a bit less mundane, but yeah this will be a good single and vid

"Love Stoned/I Think She Knows" is a nice dance track if you like something that's just really catchy...but it was long and rather repetative after a while

"What Goes Around" is hawt as FUCK, harmony on there is dope..."Comes Around" is tyte but I hate that crunk ass "aye aye" shit on there, without the choir and with more bass, it sounds like a beat T.I. would rock on

"Chop Me Up" is a pretty good track, a good club track...I like the hook on this, it's creative with the "screwed up" and "chop me up" parts screwed on an R&B track...the change up is definetly tyte as hell with the concert drum...it's tyte that he has Three-6 on there cuz they're all from Tennessee...I like the hook on this, harmony on there is tyte ..."like Michael Jackson how ya 'do me this way'" was a tyte line by Three-6 so was the "smack fest" bar and sound effects haha...a hawt single and video right here boi...pretty dope track

"Damn Girl" I'm diggin' the organ on there, this reminds me of Beyonce' on that one track from the Austin Powers soundtrack cuz of the lil' yelling hahaa...he on some James Brown ish on here lol ...the drums on here are nice, live sounds...definetly a good change from the more electronic sounds on the other songs...don't really like Will's verse, this track could have done without Will.I.Am cuz he didn't really add to this at all...besides that his verse was madd short, it was really just another voice on the track *shrugs*

"Summer Love" has a nice harmony on the hook, definetly dope on that...the verses are kewl...I like the beat on this, synth are nice, I agree...the bridge is tyte, I really like this track, it's my fave so far..."Set The Mood" reminds me of Janet Jackson's "China Love" on the "All For You" album...definetly a tyte slow jam, now this, I'd love to see a video for lol

"Until The End Of Time" is so so "Prince" cuz those are the same drums from his song "The Beautiful Ones" ...the harmony on here is tyte for the hook...a video for this would be tyte, this is a nice change to slow it down...in the middle there where he's "ohhh"ing is some classic Timbaland sounds that he used on Ginuwine's "100% Ginuwine" album ..this is a good track, especially liked the breakdown with the orchestra, that was a nice added element, especially for the other sounds they used on this, I never would've thought to put an orchestra on this one, but it fits well, especially the pizzacato strings

"Losing My Way" has a deep story-line, definetly something the average R&B singer would cover...I like the "duh dut dut" in the background on the verses, this soft beat and that makes you concentrate more on what he's saying...damn @ "prolly never know the color of my daughter's eyes" ..this is a good track cuz of the story alone, but the choir and strings brings this one over the top to be a good track musically as well...another track I'd love to see a video done for
who's that talking on the track though?

Another Song/All Over Again is definetly "John Legend meets John Lennon".. that's a great analogy for this one lol ..a real old school sounding acoustic track, I like this one ..I could see a remix to this with Alicia Keys on piano and vocals being dope as hell...I like his vocals on this one, real old school feel to this whole track, another dope change from the electronic sounds on the other songs...reminds me a little of "Never Again" on "Justified"

"Pose" has a real disco feel with one of the "Prince" drums again...a remix to this with Mariah Carey would fit well...lmao @ the guitar chord from his other song on one part...this is an aiight relax track ..skipping over this track you wouldn't really miss anything, Snoop's verse is ass like always, I'm not a fan of his at all and this solidifies my opinion of him being at best, an "average" artist...the album could do without it cuz the concept is so Madonna "Vogue"

"Sexy Back Remix" basically what Phenom said lol

personally I think this is an okay album, but some of the songs are so long at some points that it made me wanna flip it before the change up even went down...he could've ended with a stronger song and STARTED with a stronger song too, but this is definetly an ecclectic album...he took chances with some songs on this album and that's a good thing, especially being in a boy band so people think they know just what to expect from him cuz of his musical past

overall, I'd buy this album cuz I'm a fan of his and I appreciate the musicality of it, but iono if I'd recommend someone that's never really listened to him, buy this...I'd recommend everyone DL it and give it a listen though cuz there's bound to be a few songs you like on it

^ WE - RAWWCAST - 24/7 ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artik Phrost
LV - real talk as usual..dope shit
you're like the best story teller over a beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseOne
my whole album is inspired by you LV.
thats how i got this classic album.

Last edited by L. Veracity : 09-06-06 at 02:25 PM.
Send a message via AIM to L. Veracity Send a message via MSN to L. Veracity Send a message via Yahoo to L. Veracity   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 10:04 PM   #6
Euthanize.
Middle Weight

IP: 7230 B0AB

Justin Timberlake is that nigga.

Old 09-11-06, 02:09 PM   #7
SINISTER
Under Oath

Text Record: 21-14
IP: F8C0 2149

Timberlake is a faggot,,,,,,,very very simple......
Vs Mystic
Send a message via AIM to SINISTER   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 02:09 PM   #8
SINISTER
Under Oath

oh and justin aint even a rapper, if he is he should go back to the mickey mouse club...........
Vs Mystic
Old 09-11-06, 05:55 PM   #9
L. Veracity

^ obviously didn't listen to the album

I been jammin' it since I DL'd it and have been passing it to others N telling them it's dope, cuz it is...the more I listened, the more I liked this

I'm prolly gonna buy this the day it comes out

^ WE - RAWWCAST - 24/7 ^

Quote:

Quote:
Send a message via AIM to L. Veracity Send a message via MSN to L. Veracity Send a message via Yahoo to L. Veracity   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 12:01 AM   #10
.Eternal.
inFAMOUS

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 5043 32F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful
oh and justin aint even a rapper, if he is he should go back to the mickey mouse club...........

so he has to be a rapper to get a review on this board?...lol wow.

anyways i never listened to the album..not planning to.
Old 09-13-06, 01:40 AM   #11
Young Kidd (LM)
Better THAN You!

Text Record: 4-1
Audio Record: 4-0
IP: A5AE 8CF4

anybody that tossed this off as "gay" or something like that before listening. Im saying, i did that at first, but then i Dled it for a friend. And I started listening, Sexyback annoyed me, but this CD is Amazing.

JT is that Nicca.
This Cd is really good, man never though i would say that.
Old 09-14-06, 04:24 PM   #12
Phenom-in-all
Vendetta the K.O. King

IP: 77BB E1E2

^^^ Word... My boy actually was sayin it was hot, so I grabbed it for him and listened to it myself. It's illy, and even inspired me to write a fucking review. Obviously shits hot. word.

ps - If I didn't say it yet, I'ma say it right now - I bet this shit goes Diamond. word.

Same Page Productions
Old 09-15-06, 09:47 AM   #13
L. Veracity

^ I agree

I wouldn't doubt that other people follow his lead and do something he did on this album, on theirs...I hope he goes on tour cuz I wanna see him...if he goes on tour with Christina Aguilera again that's even more reason to go lol

^ WE - RAWWCAST - 24/7 ^

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-16-06, 11:40 AM   #14
SINISTER
Under Oath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed

so he has to be a rapper to get a review on this board?...lol wow.

anyways i never listened to the album..not planning to.

look at his sig, justin material all the way.......... and yeah your right i dident listen and dont plan on it
Vs Mystic
Old 09-19-06, 10:42 AM   #15
Ice Pick
GoD LiKe

Text Record: 68-10
IP: 6B22 332C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful
Timberlake is a faggot,,,,,,,very very simple......

COMPLETELY AGREE

THE WHITE MIKE JACKSON

130 POUNDS OF WOMAN IN A MANS BODY

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH

JUST LOOK AT HIS LAST ALBUM TOO

GARBAGE