RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-03, 07:08 AM   #1
The Necromancer
Atra Ludio or Hip-Hop?

Text Record: 2-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Hip Hop in the Middle East

IP: 4577 CD9A

(Note: What is funny about this, was that earlier I complained to a friend how there were not enough jewish rappers. I mean, Beastie Boys are having to hold a lot on their punk shoulders.)

Hip-hop breaks out in the Middle East
Rappers give edgy new voice to their pride and anguish
By Loolwa Khazzoom

TEL AVIV - "I want to tell people about the racism I experience," says Tarik Malko, 16, who aspires to be a rap star. "It's hard for me to talk about it, because people don't understand. But when I sing, I say what I love, what I hate. I even curse. I get everything out of myself, everything inside me. I love this music!"

Malko and her peers from Efsharut Aheret (A Different Option), an Ethiopian-Israeli youth group from Ashdod, Israel, were among the 700 concert-goers at the recent third annual Hip Hop in the Park in Tel Aviv, sponsored by Yaga Production House, a studio promoting up and coming Israeli hip-hop artists.

"Through hip-hop, we look at black people in America succeeding,"

Malko continues, "and we know that we can succeed, too." Ethiopian-Israeli rappers Bar and Jeremy assert that scores of community youth are drawn to hip-hop for this very reason.

Like their Ethiopian-Israeli peers, Arab-Israeli rappers such as MWR (Mahmoud, Waseem and Richard), Dam, and Tammer use hip-hop as a medium for discussing their struggles with discrimination and poverty,as well as the drug and crime problems arising from these struggles.

Arapiot (a hybrid Hebrew word for Arab female rappers), the only Arab female rappers in the world, additionally sing about their struggles as young women in the Arab community: "We have families that don't give us our freedom to determine our fate, to get an education, to go out with friends, to choose whom we will marry," says Arapiot's Safa. "In our songs we demand our freedom."

Shiri and Shorti, Israel's first female rappers - together a mix of Mizrahi (Middle Eastern/North African Jewish), Sephardi
(Spanish-Portuguese/Latin Jewish) and Ashkenazi (Central/Eastern European Jewish) backgrounds -focus mostly on gender issues.

"I give my point of view as a 20-year-old girl in Israel, with her own problems," says Shorti.

Most men in Israeli hip-hop, she says, focus on general issues, such as politics and economics. "I'm talking about subjects I haven't heard here yet. I'm taking it in your face, really personal, really out there." Shorti's first single is about her experience having sex with another girl - not yet a subject of mainstream Israeli music.

The messages of Israeli hip-hop are "very individual," explains Chemi, a member of the now-defunct band Shabak Sameh, which pioneered hip-hop in Israel 10 years ago. "Hip-hop is a tool. Everyone uses it to say what he or she wants."

Chemi's new group, Haloutsei Halal (Space Pioneers), frequently works with Arab-Israeli rap artists in concerts and on recordings, promoting messages of tolerance. As the words of a recent single in Hebrew and Arabic state:

"Look into my eyes. We both have the same blood. In the end, they will bury
us both the same way. Come, let's be neighbors and not enemies. Because there is nothing more important than life."

In addition to the messages of hip-hop being diverse, hip-hop cultural norms -such as clothing and body language - also vary from artist to artist.

"Look at me, I'm dressed in a dress," says rap and soul artist Me2qa, who performed at Hip Hop in the Park. "I'm not trying to look like 'Yo, yo, whassup?' I'm being myself."

Subliminal, Israel's leading hip-hop group, strictly adheres to the bandana, baseball cap, sports jersey, and baggy pants get-up associated with mainstream rap in America. But whereas the Subliminal artists may look as if they jumped straight off the set of MTV, their message is unique:

"Are you wearing a Star of David proudly on your chest?" Subliminal bellows into the mike at the opening of a concert, as thousands shoot their hands skyward, screaming enthusiastically.

"Once it was a shame to walk around with a Star of David," says MC Hatsel, who like the other artists in the group comes from an Iranian-Jewish family.

"Jews have been ashamed of our symbol because of what we learned from generations of oppression. We, however, are not ashamed. In our CD,everyone gets a Star of David as a gift."

Whatever their message and style, young Israeli women and men of all ethnicities are finding a venue for self-expression in hip-hop.

"It's how the new generation communicates," asserts MC Remedy, who flew from New York to Israel for a tour in the early summer months.

"I think Israelis like rap music because a mike is a very powerful tool to say things," adds Momi Levi, who produces some of Israel's biggest hip-hop artists. "And here in Israel, we have a lot of things to say."
Old 09-08-03, 01:15 AM   #2
Jes
Light Weight

Text Record: 0-1
IP: DED4 6855

Doesn't seem all that funny to me. I actually find it rather nice that people of different persuassions are feeling hip hop or whatever they think it is. More diversity is always good, broadens the horizons.

A friend in the Marines, just got back from Kuwait. He says alot of dancehall is over there and alot of mainstream shit has beats that originated in the middle east, from traditional songs.
Old 09-08-03, 03:22 AM   #3
Carmen

IP: F19F D969

Yeah it's amazing how people all over the world are embracing hip hop.
Old 09-08-03, 08:16 PM   #4
varentao

IP: 18CD 6470

Nice, nice.

Remedy is Jewish. And i like some of the stuff he's done.
Old 09-08-03, 08:36 PM   #5
X Ecution

IP: 4577 CD9A

wooooooooo go jews...jew pride....1
Old 09-09-03, 12:24 AM   #6
Narcicyst
Narcelus Flawless

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 5E69 E1A3

i'm Iraqi an i rap...you can check out both my soundclick pages...
www.soundclick.com/someshiz
www.soundclick.com/lousewartshire
Old 12-16-04, 04:44 PM   #7
Jamal
This is my first post!

Ayo Fucker, Stop Acting Like Me King Keep I Know Its You

IP: 8F60 8CA6

Dee You Gotta Stop Acting Like Me All Over The Internet Dawg, That Shit Aint Funny No More...next Time Use A Bit More Intellect When You Fucking Post Shit With Your Name Attached To It...lousewart Dawg Cmon...no One Believe The Hype The Narcicyst On Here Is Not The Real Narcicyst
Fuck That...this Cat Is Faking The Funk..its Not Really Me..on Some 12 Monkeys Shit...
I Dotn Do That Internet Mc Shit
Old 12-16-04, 09:02 PM   #8
Adamant
Flyweight

IP: C9AF B0A1

why'd you up this?
Old 12-16-04, 10:24 PM   #9
*GHOSTE*
Banned: Cheating

IP: E85A 0AF6

fuck those taliban bitches...not talkin about all middle easterns...but those taliban terrorist mutha fuckas took an american beat...and wrote a diss to america on it...WITH AN AMERICAN BEAT!!!...kinda makes me wanna join the army or some shit so i can fuck those bitches up...
Send a message via AIM to *GHOSTE*   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 03:09 AM   #10
bluntastic-510
New to RV

IP: CAA7 A812

ayo my homies got mugged for 2 bills at gun point the other day by some fools claiming an afghan gang. Its fuckin stupid sin ce that has NEVER happened in my neighboorhood and now i gotta go start shit with them and someone is probly gonna die so fuck if they want beef im comin with it......and as far as hip hop goes in the middle east, they can rock their shit as long as they dont fuck with us and try to start shit