RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-06, 03:46 PM   #1
Tha Q.
OYD

Exclamation Audio Tutorial: For those with the Samson C01U...Q Style

IP: 2B7A 2084

This tutorial is intended for audio heads who:

A.) Record with the Samson C01U
B.) Use Cool Edit, or something comparable
C.) Want to improve general quality/mixing skills

1. Set up:

If you have the Samson C01U, you'll definitely want to use the SoftPre applet. This applet allows you to control the mic's input levels. Make sure you open the SoftPre applet, then, in Cool Edit, switch to "edit view." Once there, just start a new session and then press F10 on your keyboard. This allows you to test your mic's input levels. You'll want to set the SoftPre's level to a point where the red CLIP sign doesn't flash. Test this by speaking/rapping at your fullest volume. Raise the slider on the SoftPre so that the lights come up as far as possible without triggering the red CLIP sign.

2. Cool Edit Settings:
I recommend setting your Device Options to record in MONO while in Multitrack. Also, set your Mixdown options to 32-Bit as well. Make sure all sampling rates are at 44,000. Anything less than that will compromise quality. And, anything more than that can cause problems when encoding on sites like Soundclick.

3. Recording:

I record in multitrack. I have the beat on one track, and then record on another one. For the sake of quality, make sure all ambient (surrounding) noises are shut off. I also recommend turning your headphones down as much as possible to prevent noise pollution from the beat on your vocal track.

If you mess up while recording, don't be afraid to start over. I normally don't punch-in using Cool Edit because they don't make it intuitive. However, if you flowed 14 and 1/2 bars perfectly, but stumbled on the last bar and a half, punching-in might be a good option for you.

4. Mixing/Editing:

If you've recording your vocals in multitrack, all you have to do is double click on them to switch to edit view. Once in edit view, the vocals will be in Mono (one big wave in the center of the screen).

From there, I use the following editing process:

NOISE REDUCTION:

.................If you were careful to eliminate as much ambient noise as possible, there won't be much noise to remove, other than the mic's own noise from its internal circuitry. Also, remember to leave at least 5-10 seconds of "dead air" on your vocal track when you record your verse in multitrack.

Click/Pop Eliminator:

................... Under the Noise Reduction Menu...I use the setting "Clicks and lots of pops"

At this point, I convert the mono vocals to stereo.

Dynamic Prosessing: This is also known as compression. I use the settings from the "Alcatraz Process". Compression evens out your vocals so there aren't huge spikes and peaks.
**The Alcatrakz Process can be found here**
http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=101638

1st EQ: "Spit Clear" in "Graphic Equalizer" works well here. It will remove any rumble from your mic if you happened to spit too close to it. Note: Your pop filter should be about 2 inches from your mic. You should spit about 4-6 inches behind that. Also, a wind guard is NOT a pop filter. It can degrade quality as well. A pop filter guards against blasts from words that start with "p" and "b". I normally use a modified setting of their "Vocal Presence Boost" preset.

Normalize: Normalization raises the lowest wave to match the highest wave. This will increase the volume of your vocals in the process. Set the normalization % to either 75-80.

^^At this point, I may amplify the vocals 2-3 more decibels using "Amplify" depending on the beat. However, listen to the levels and decide for yourself.

5. Continued editing in Multitrack

One you go back into multitrack, you'll want to set the EQ levels there as well. I have mine set at H (4) M(-2.4) L(1.3). However, depending on the track, I may adjust the (L). Use your ear and don't be afraid to adjust the levels with each track.

General Recording Tricks and Tips:

I do my dubs by literally recording the rhyming words or phrases on a separate track in multitrack. The editing process is the same for the main vocals, except I don't run click/pop eliminator.

When I mix the dubs in multitrack, I use the same EQ settings, except for the (L), which I set to -4. I normally pan my dubs 25 to the LEFT.

AD LIBS: Ad libs are the background vocals like "yea, uh, uh huh, what, chea" etc...

I do my ad libs by literally recording them on a separate track in multitrack. The editing process is the same for the main vocals and dubs, except I don't run click/pop eliminator.

When I mix the adlibs in multitrack, I use the same EQ settings, except for the (L), which I set to -4. I normally pan my dubs 15 to the LEFT. Sometimes, ad libs sound better panned far left or right, like 45-50. Again, it depends on the track and what you're trying to achieve with the sound.

ECHO: The echo effect I use is called Stereo Whispers under the Echo menu in Cool Edit.

Pitch Effects: I like to play around with the pitch of some effects. You can raise or lower the pitch of vocals under the Effects>Time/Pitch>Stretch menu. For my trademark "My name is the Q" intro, I use the effect called "helium".

Phone effect: For some skits, I need to replicate the sound of talking on a phone. To do this, I use the preset "Old Time Radio" under Parametric Equalizer.

Distortion Effects: For some tracks, I like to make my vocals sound distorted, usually for a skit. To do this, I use the settings under Effects>Special>Distortion. Play around with the presets to get the sound you're looking for.

My Hooks: For my hooks, I like to think of them as a mini-symphony. By that I mean that I layer my hooks with at least 4-5 vocals tracks. I may have singing in the background, mixed with rapping in the foreground. Normally, if I have singing on my vocals in hooks, I add reverb. The setting I use for this is under the Reverb menu called "Nice Presence."

**Note: In my opinion, hooks should be simple, almost repetitive to be "catchy". The best hooks are those with memorable, or "catchy" words/phrases that get engrained in the listener's head. This can be accomplished through melody, or by simple repetition.

Last edited by Tha Q. : 05-20-06 at 04:07 PM.
Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-06, 03:57 PM   #2
Enygma
O.wning Y.ou D.aily

IP: BD13 7176

Good shit man.....I just put this in the Audio Assistance forum as well
Old 05-20-06, 04:03 PM   #3
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygma
Good shit man.....I just put this in the Audio Assistance forum as well

thx...no doubt

I noticed people asking for one. So, thought I'd put my 3 cents in.

Old 05-20-06, 04:41 PM   #5
TitoBronsky
El Padrino

Text Record: 3-0
Audio Record: 1-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 0EB4 1ACC

no doubt ....

very informative

Full Metal Bronsky Dropin 1st Quarter 08'

Send a message via AIM to TitoBronsky Send a message via Yahoo to TitoBronsky   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-06, 04:50 PM   #6
TeamOne
FuxJustAWord

IP: FF5C 8D5B

hah do u not do click/pop eliminator for ur adlibs just cuz it takes too long........ lol, cuz i wouldnt blame u

...The real Renegade before Hova...
Old 05-20-06, 05:16 PM   #7
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOne
hah do u not do click/pop eliminator for ur adlibs just cuz it takes too long........ lol, cuz i wouldnt blame u

lol...yup man

I was gonna put that too.

Old 05-20-06, 05:27 PM   #8
-TeamOne-
Is Betta Than You

Audio Record: 0-0
IP: F7F9 B52B

THANKS, but tell me why everytime i do click pop eliminator it takes 30 minutes to finish so i say fuck that
Send a message via AIM to -TeamOne- Send a message via MSN to -TeamOne- Send a message via Yahoo to -TeamOne-   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-06, 06:29 PM   #9
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TeamOne-
THANKS, but tell me why everytime i do click pop eliminator it takes 30 minutes to finish so i say fuck that

If there is a lot of "dead air" in your vocals, it takes a long time. That's why I don't run it on my ad libs.

Old 05-24-06, 01:41 PM   #10
Tha Q.
OYD

haaa

uppin this cuz LE did one too

Samson's rock

lol
Old 05-24-06, 01:45 PM   #11
WhoAmI
WhoAreYou?

IP: A181 D033

decent thread Q...nuff props on this one...
Old 05-25-06, 02:00 AM   #12
iamthatdude87
Addicted

IP: 2029 97B3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Q.
If there is a lot of "dead air" in your vocals, it takes a long time. That's why I don't run it on my ad libs.

thats why you get the dead air..... highlight it...open up the noise reduction ......and press the button "Get Profile from selection" and when you done doint that highlight your whole verse then use the noise redux wit your profile u just got and it will jus leave your vox and it will take out all the dead air and it will complete that shit like in 2 mins
Old 05-25-06, 08:47 AM   #13
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKO
thats why you get the dead air..... highlight it...open up the noise reduction ......and press the button "Get Profile from selection" and when you done doint that highlight your whole verse then use the noise redux wit your profile u just got and it will jus leave your vox and it will take out all the dead air and it will complete that shit like in 2 mins

nah bro

I'm talkin bout Click/pops

What you're talking about is Noise Redux...I know about that.

Old 05-25-06, 08:59 AM   #14
-TeamOne-
Is Betta Than You

Audio Record: 0-0
IP: 0594 3125

yea, even after the noise redux it doesent work, this should be stickied
Send a message via AIM to -TeamOne- Send a message via MSN to -TeamOne- Send a message via Yahoo to -TeamOne-   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-06, 09:23 AM   #15
Sik Wit It

IP: 5985 7037

Q back? Wowzers... didnt last long.